UKBouldering.com

Climbing Hangar Sheffield- thoughts? (Read 7583 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Yeah, maybe I can see why some would like it. But definitely not my scene, I guess I'm a Republican when it comes to walls - freedom rules!

battery

• obsessive maniac
I have found walking into unfamiliar walls very intimidating in the past, and still do to a certain extent and I generally find the testosterone fuelled gangs of young lads much more of an issue than older people with their tops off.

I find this whole debate quite interesting as in the last couple of years I have gained the confidence to climb in just my sports bra and shorts. I was inspired by some other ladies in the wall doing it and it makes a huge difference to my ability to keep cool. Am I also intimidating for younger/newer climbers? (genuine question). My confidence has come from a place of simply not caring what other people think about what I look like - I am proud of what my body can do, not what it looks like - my body grew two brand new humans, delivered them safely into this world and fed them for nearly 6 years (combined).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
"Peacocking"

"Strutting"

As always read between the lines and the issue is with peoples' behaviour and attitudes, not (just) their attire. And as always it seems more logical to tackle the behaviour (which is unlikely to be necessary for friction / training) rather than penalising the attire of those who don't peacock.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I guess it’s a lot easier and a lot less qualitative to police attire than behaviour!

Carliios

I overheat really quickly and find it quite difficult to climb with a top on as it gets totally drenched after 5 minutes. I’ll climb topless whether there’s no one at the wall or 50 people there, couldn’t care less what others think, at the end of the day it’s their problem and them projecting their own issues onto me. I’m there to climb not to look at peoples bodies and maybe others should do the same.

Wellsy

• forum hero
I am there to show off how jacked I am and how dare they stop me? I worked hard to look like some kind of devastatingly pale and smooth cave dwelling eel, one that has never felt the touch of the daystar

Droyd

• addict
I find it quite strange that people who presumably consider themselves to be considerate, compassionate, etc. can get so wound up about this infringement on their liberties, and be so blinkered in making the 'it's not my problem if other people find my behaviour upsetting' argument. It almost reminds me of the UKC arguments about renaming racist routes and the classic 'well I don't see a problem with it so why would anyone else?' logic.

The very first time I went to a climbing wall I was a scrawny kid and saw a bunch of jacked shirtless blokes and concluded that climbing couldn't possibly be for me, even though I really enjoyed it for every other reason. Obviously that was my issue and something that I had to work on myself, but I reckon if that's something that you're aware of - and anyone who's read this thread now is, because people are making the point - and you still feel that your right to not be a bit warm and sweaty (when you chose to go down to the wall on a warm and sweaty day) is more important than someone else's right to feel safe and able to be there, you're putting either either your own comfort or some vague notion of 'I should be allowed to do what I want' over other people's enjoyment.

I honestly don't see how it's any different to arguing that it's fine to blast music at the crag, on the basis that you like it and other people can leave if they don't.

Carliios

Surely we should just ban being shirtless everywhere then? Including the beach, parks or any public place where there might be people?

To your point about music, I don’t overheat because music isn’t being played so that doesn’t really make sense? Not the best analogy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 02:21:19 pm by Carliios »

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I don’t think droyd is trying to draw a direct equivalence between music and heat / being shirtless, rather the mindsets behind the two being similar.

Carliios

I don’t think they correlate seeing as one thing physically affects me but the other doesn’t. I sympathise but I’m not a fan of policing what people wear and I wouldn’t care what others are wearing in a warm climbing gym. Like I said, I’m there to train not to peacock or intimidate others. I just want to climb without people telling me what to wear.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
I feel like we're missing half the discussion here. What about the right to climb bottomless? If rampant toplessness doesn't affect the vibe and atmosphere of a climbing wall, then neither should that ;)

CapitalistPunter

• addict
I feel like we're missing half the discussion here. What about the right to climb bottomless? If rampant toplessness doesn't affect the vibe and atmosphere of a climbing wall, then neither should that ;)

Willy rash after scraping down a slab sounds excellent

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Surely we should just ban being shirtless everywhere then? Including the beach, parks or any public place where there might be people?

If you’re at a crag and there’s a group of topless men who look like they are trying to touch another topless man whilst he climbs a small rock, then you can move on to another small rock out of view; this isn’t an option indoors.

Carliios

But this goes back to what makes the human body so intimidating? Literally everyone has a torso, it's not that spooky or scary.

We could also at this point ask men to please wear wetsuits at the swimming pool, it's an enclosed space with lots of people who cant get out of the way of a shirtless man breaststroking towards them.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Putting aside all your whataboutery, I still think you’re missing the point that it doesn’t really matter what you think about topless blokes at the wall. It is widely reported that people do find this intimidating and unwelcoming, walls want to be welcoming inclusive spaces, so they take measures to address this.

Droyd

• addict
As Moo says, my point with music is mindset - either not knowing or not  caring that what you're doing has a negative effect on other people's experiences.

The fact that it doesn't affect you doesn't mean that it doesn't affect other people; clearly you're not going to the wall to make other people have a shit time, and I'd be willing to give a lot of people who go shirtless at the wall the benefit of the doubt and admit that they're not trying to show off or peacock. However: your intentions don't matter. If something you do makes other people feel shitty, the fact that you didn't mean to make them feel shitty doesn't mean you can just keep doing it. It's the same argument as 'we don't need to rename "One Less White N*****" at Shorn Cliff because it's an Elvis Costello lyric and so not intended to be racist', in that innocent intentions don't make it okay to use racial slurs.

What's more, it's not really that you don't like there being rules about what you  can and can't wear - if that was your principle, the joke about people going bottomless wouldn't be funny. What you don't like is that the rule goes against what you want to do.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Putting aside all your whataboutery, I still think you’re missing the point that it doesn’t really matter what you think about topless blokes at the wall. It is widely reported that people do find this intimidating and unwelcoming, walls want to be welcoming inclusive spaces, so they take measures to address this.

That said also just because people find something intimidating doesn't mean it should be banned. After all there are legit reasons to climb shirtless, when I'm on the board and it's hot, I'm sweaty, I want my shirt off for comfort and performance. I appreciate some people might find that intimidating but I make an effort to be friendly and welcoming to new people so as to make them feel more comfortable as well, ultimately some people are going to be intimidated by strong people climbing if they are not strong and that's their thing to deal with and hopefully get psyched by!

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
I feel like the most inclusive policy might be to have some time slots where toplessness is allowed and some where it's not.  :shrug:

The real hot water is which flavours of nipple are allowed on display during the 'topless' times.  :worms:

Carliios

As Moo says, my point with music is mindset - either not knowing or not  caring that what you're doing has a negative effect on other people's experiences.

The fact that it doesn't affect you doesn't mean that it doesn't affect other people; clearly you're not going to the wall to make other people have a shit time, and I'd be willing to give a lot of people who go shirtless at the wall the benefit of the doubt and admit that they're not trying to show off or peacock. However: your intentions don't matter. If something you do makes other people feel shitty, the fact that you didn't mean to make them feel shitty doesn't mean you can just keep doing it. It's the same argument as 'we don't need to rename "One Less White N*****" at Shorn Cliff because it's an Elvis Costello lyric and so not intended to be racist', in that innocent intentions don't make it okay to use racial slurs.

What's more, it's not really that you don't like there being rules about what you  can and can't wear - if that was your principle, the joke about people going bottomless wouldn't be funny. What you don't like is that the rule goes against what you want to do.

Mate I find it hilarious that you’re trying to apply that mindset to what I’m saying here. And I’m someone who has suffered from serious racism being one of the very few brown people to grow up in Norfolk so it makes me want to disregard your point even more when you try and say me not wearing a top and not caring is the same as people not caring about changing racist route names. That’s some serious strawmanning right there.

And I don’t think the pool example is whatsbouttery, I would say it’s very much exactly the same thing. What’s the difference between me going swimming to a pool topless and climbing at a climbing gym topless?

Like I said, the issue is with them to change their mindset, I’m not doing anything wrong by being topless.

matt463

• regular
Going back to the OP question. I think most climbing walls have a fairly homogenous offering. There are walls with plastic and sometimes wood on them, setting is good and coffee is usually served. If you have strong feelings about taking your top off, go to any other wall. If not, you can also go to any other wall but the Hangar is good too.

CapitalistPunter

• addict
Thinking about it, it might be a good thing that people have a wall to choose from where they can be compfy and not have to worry about being unncomfortable around shirtless men. As long as other gyms dont impliment the same rule, and that people are who are get uncompfy migrate to the Hangar, the rule is fine.

I've had a couple of very hot and sweaty sessions at the hangar and it seems to be a pretty warm wall. If you aren't allowed to take your shirt off, there should really be better air conditioning to make up for it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 03:41:30 pm by CapitalistPunter »

abarro81

• forum hero
I honestly don't see how it's any different to arguing that it's fine to blast music at the crag, on the basis that you like it and other people can leave if they don't.
What you don't like is that the rule goes against what you want to do.

You're right in one way: off the top of my head I can't come up with a philosophically/logically sound argument for drawing the line anywhere other than absolute freedom or absolute restriction (i.e. anything anyone finds intimidating, objectionable or anti-social is unacceptable). (In my defence, my starting position was a "visceral hatred" of the rule - i.e. I never claimed it was intellectually sound.)

Of course you're "wrong" in the sense that both of these would, in reality, be terrible ideas (both in climbing and almost every other area of life, e.g. free speech vs restrictions on free speech) since it would cover everything: climbing tops off, climbing bottoms off, climbing in a g-string, playing music at the crag when others are there, building fires at the crag when others are there, endless shouting and swearing all day really loud and aggressively, whooping "hell yeah" when finishing your 10 year project, joking boisterously at the bottom of the crag with friends, warming up on someone's proj, flashing someone's proj... and many more I've not thought of...  all would have to be totally ok or totally banned, unless you can do a better job of coming up with a philosophically/logically sound argument for drawing arbitrary lines in the middle? So I think it's fair enough to throw that out the window and accept that lines will be somewhat arbitrary, and therefore somewhat based on what we want to do, and/or what "the community" for that activity wants to do. Those who find scantily clad men and ladies intimidating are likely to feel more at home in golf that climbing or surfing. Those who hate pretension and want to dance around semi-naked and off their tits are likely to feel more at home at an outdoor rave than a classical concert. Surely not every activity has to have the same feel and draw the lines in the same place? Wouldn't that be a dull world? Part of what first attracted me to climbing was that it felt different to some more mainstream activities.

I suspect that, coming from a background where outdoor climbing is "real climbing" and indoor climbing is how you train for outdoor climbing and what you do when it rains, my default starting position is to take our arbitrary norms from outdoor climbing and apply them indoors, then tweak in some minor ways, e.g. having music indoors. The Hangar can set comp problems, have lots of rules about not taking your top off, and charge £10 for organic vegan handpicked sundried quinoa if that's the vibe they want... but that's not the vibe I value from climbing, so I'll always vote with my feet and do static rockovers topless at the School or the Foundry while wearing my kneepads.

P.S. Philosophically, I'm fairly sure I have a very strong objection to the claim that intensions don't matter (even though they are clearly not the be all and end all). Though I'm no philosopher.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 04:05:25 pm by abarro81 »

abarro81

• forum hero
Am I also intimidating for younger/newer climbers? (genuine question). M

I think that's an interesting question, but I don't have an answer...

submaximal gains

• player
I think a lot of the antipathy to climbing walls enforcing no shirtlessness policies comes from the fact that these rules are enforced by the climbing wall staff rather than by the users of the climbing who find shirtless men/women intimidating. If the request to wear a shirt were coming from the offended person (there may be many reasons for finding shirtless men intimidating and/or interpreting it as an unwelcoming environment), I am sure the request would at least be met with a more empathic response.

Re. how good is the Hangar - I went once and thought the setting was above average and the kilterboard was good. It doesn't have circuit boards, but a friend of mine was able to train endurance quite well there by just climbing on the splatterboard for 30 mins at a time.

Another friend of mine has been banned for removing over-caffeinated sugary drink company stickers from a sponsored problem (he removed them, got dobbed in to a member of staff, spent ~15mins explaining why he felt advertising over-caffeinated sugary drink company was unethical, got banned despite that).

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I think a lot of the antipathy to climbing walls enforcing no shirtlessness policies comes from the fact that these rules are enforced by the climbing wall staff rather than by the users of the climbing who find shirtless men/women intimidating. If the request to wear a shirt were coming from the offended person (there may be many reasons for finding shirtless men intimidating and/or interpreting it as an unwelcoming environment), I am sure the request would at least be met with a more empathic response.

I feel like if you’re finding a situation or group of people intimidating or unwelcome, you are unlikely to want to explain yourself directly to them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal