UKBouldering.com

Massage gun recommendations (Read 4356 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Massage gun recommendations
June 11, 2022, 07:57:03 am
I thought there was a topic on this a while ago but couldn’t find it.

I just wondered what the best options are in 2022? Happy to consider all budgets up to say £300.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 11, 2022, 08:14:26 am
Here’s the thread.

I got a Theragun which cost loads (a bit more than your budget IIRC) and while I don’t regret it (it was a present for my other half, she loves it and it works very well) I don’t think it’s sensible to spend that much really- as I understand it the features that make it good (dead bad powerful, different attachments for different muscles/ purposes, easy to hold at different angles) are available on cheaper products.

I think a lot of the Theragun money goes on marketing as they’re constantly sending me emails telling me which high-profile sports teams they’re “partnering” with now.  ::)

Dinodinosaur

#2 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 11, 2022, 08:36:12 am
I bought a pulse roll mini after being given a decent sales pitch by the bloke at our health and wellbeing day. He also gave me a good on the day discount 😂 just having a quick look the mini is currently on sale at only £110. Obviously read other reviews but I've found it excellent for back, shoulders and forearms. I don't know if the mini quite has the stroke length or power for the big ole glutes but thats not somewhere I often need to massage out

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 11, 2022, 09:08:51 am
I have a therabeat. Not the cheapest by any means, but a bit cheaper than the cheapest theragun. Very happy with it - robust-feeling metal build quality, good carrying case for surprising my climbing partners when I bring it with me on trips.

Mostly use if for forearms & upper traps, but lately I've been mountain biking a bit and have started to use it for quads too.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#4 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 11, 2022, 09:42:02 am
Massage Gun, RENPHO Massage Gun... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082FHY6JG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Big and heavy but it doesn't stall when digging in like some I've tried.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 11, 2022, 11:32:14 am
Massage Gun, RENPHO Massage Gun... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082FHY6JG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Big and heavy but it doesn't stall when digging in like some I've tried.

This is the one I settled on after decision paralysis for quite some time.

I'd been getting some knee pain and had tightness in my calves which it seems* to have helped alleviate.

* - yeah, I know... :spank:

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 11, 2022, 04:24:37 pm
I also have a Theregun elite, again bought a a present.

Ticks all the boxes regarding power, ease of use etc ..  I also like the different heads. I actually find myself swapping for different aches, different spots. I don't climb as much, but use it post session also for running, MTB warm up/ cool down.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#8 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 14, 2022, 05:27:54 pm
I have a Hypervolt 2.

Never tried any other so nothing to compare it to but it seems really good. Several attachments, long lasting, three speeds, hits the spot, thats what she said, etc.

YorkshireTea

• regular
#9 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 15, 2022, 10:41:12 am
I used massage gun internals in my uni final project and compared speed (and variability), force, amplitude, battery life and weight/size of a bunch of massage guns (mainly the compact ones)

Weighing these up against price, my recommendation is the Pulsio Air. It's only £65, tiny (450g), has 27kg force (theragun pro is 30kg), 14mm amplitude vs standard 10mm and claims 12hr battery life (I doubt this and but never fully tested it)

Having taken it apart too, its well built

(No they're not paying me haha)

Bradders

• forum hero
#10 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 15, 2022, 12:27:03 pm
I used massage gun internals in my uni final project and compared speed (and variability), force, amplitude, battery life and weight/size of a bunch of massage guns (mainly the compact ones)

Weighing these up against price, my recommendation is the Pulsio Air. It's only £65, tiny (450g), has 27kg force (theragun pro is 30kg), 14mm amplitude vs standard 10mm and claims 12hr battery life (I doubt this and but never fully tested it)

I had semi decided on this one a few days ago but not bitten the bullet yet, so thanks for that!

largeruk

• player
#11 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 15, 2022, 03:29:41 pm

I'm beginning to research the bewildering range of massage guns as I too am hoping to find one that's half decent and that I can afford!. A newbie question but are you sure about the 14mm amplitude on the Pulsio Air? I only ask as I've read a couple of reviews which quote it as having 8mm - eg https://www.percussion-massage.com/pulsio-air-vs-theragun-mini/. Would help if you could clarify how this is measured. Cheers.

YorkshireTea

• regular
#12 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 15, 2022, 05:30:08 pm
Their site lists it as 12mm not 14, which is what I based getting it off and don't remember measuring it to be different but I could be wrong.

I can't remember if the front retracts slightly into the cuff around it, meaning if you purely measure how far it extends externally you only get 8mm (a guess??)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 am
Did your uni project explore whether these things actually made any difference at all?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 16, 2022, 09:56:34 am
Did your uni project explore whether these things actually made any difference at all?

Difference to what?  These devices - and similar like foam rollers - or manual massage generally have the same effects. There are usually short-term reductions of subjective stiffness and pain. Studies generally have high risk of bias being small-number, poorly controlled, and poorly or un-blinded. Pain and subjective stiffness are prone to placebo and expectation effects. However these results are in line with what users report and we'd all like to feel a bit less achy and stiff at times. Some studies also report short-term changes in range of motion or objective flexibility. I'm not aware of much research on improving objective recovery markers eg performance the following day.

These are all likely neurophysiological effects. If you've ever looked at an ITB in the flesh you'd realise the idea these devices make the slightest difference to fascial structure is lunacy.

They are not without risk. (You want to be particularly careful going anywhere near your neck or upper traps.)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: Massage gun recommendations
June 16, 2022, 10:33:50 am
Yikes!  that's scary.

Sorry, should have said compared to massage, foam rolling, or any other machines. Good info though, thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal