UKBouldering.com

Significant First Ascents (Read 120462 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#150 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 26, 2022, 07:50:30 pm
Blimey, you lot are even more miserable, cynical, and dour than me. Heartwarming stuff!!

Actually genuinely reassured that even the mild-mannered professor thinks, in his mild-mannered way, that such clickbaitery can fuck off.

I agree with Chris and Jamie that the ascent and indeed the footage of the climbing stand up in their own right, and by implication there was a really good video waiting to be hatched: Lose the clickbait title, lose the fucking 7m altimeter, and trim it down quite a bit. Not hard to do really!! I think that's what we want - quality video of a quality climb?? Oh and something about grades too....

Wellsy

• forum hero
#151 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 26, 2022, 07:55:19 pm
YouTube algorithms apparently really reward those clickbaity thumbnails. I'm not saying it justifies it but there's absolutely a reason people do it

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#152 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 26, 2022, 07:58:26 pm
Cunts.

("You'll NOT BELIEVE the INSANE success these cunts have with their WILD clickbait")

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#153 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 27, 2022, 01:37:29 pm
Blimey, you lot are even more miserable, cynical, and dour than me. Heartwarming stuff!!

Actually genuinely reassured that even the mild-mannered professor thinks, in his mild-mannered way, that such clickbaitery can fuck off.

I agree with Chris and Jamie that the ascent and indeed the footage of the climbing stand up in their own right, and by implication there was a really good video waiting to be hatched: Lose the clickbait title, lose the fucking 7m altimeter, and trim it down quite a bit. Not hard to do really!! I think that's what we want - quality video of a quality climb?? Oh and something about grades too....

As others have said the issue is that this kind of content does not get clicks in the current youtube environment. There is a reason that channels like Wideboyz are also engaging in the baiting - it's absolutely necessary to generate the kind of traffic they need.

I'll also point out (politely, because I really don't mean to offend) that you and the majority of this thread are not the target audience and they don't care if you never watch it. There are hundreds of thousands of climbers/aspiring climbers/sports enthusiasts/people who find this interesting enough to click on/people who think Anna is fit/random kids who are proper keen on this sort of thing and will drive the numbers up wildly. Money talks and I full respect their right to not give a flying f*** about our opinions (I also dislike clickbait excessively).

To be honest though the reaction here is all very OTT. Considering some of the absolute mindless drivel that gets traction on youtube e.g. that one guy that makes millions posting pokemon playthroughs (and that's the high end stuff) this is well thought out content of good climbers doing their thing. Yes, it's not Mellow - but we're not all D woods and channels like that are a rare breed for a reason.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#154 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 27, 2022, 02:05:59 pm
Its a shame that they feel they have to advertise their stuff that way, and a shame it will probably work in a sense. Cool ascent and admirable technical skills though.

petejh

• forum hero
#155 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 27, 2022, 05:11:17 pm
As others have said the issue is that this kind of content does not get clicks in the current youtube environment. There is a reason that channels like Wideboyz are also engaging in the baiting - it's absolutely necessary to generate the kind of traffic they need.

I'll also point out (politely, because I really don't mean to offend) that you and the majority of this thread are not the target audience and they don't care if you never watch it. There are hundreds of thousands of climbers/aspiring climbers/sports enthusiasts/people who find this interesting enough to click on/people who think Anna is fit/random kids who are proper keen on this sort of thing and will drive the numbers up wildly. Money talks and I full respect their right to not give a flying f*** about our opinions (I also dislike clickbait excessively).

To be honest though the reaction here is all very OTT. Considering some of the absolute mindless drivel that gets traction on youtube e.g. that one guy that makes millions posting pokemon playthroughs (and that's the high end stuff) this is well thought out content of good climbers doing their thing. Yes, it's not Mellow - but we're not all D woods and channels like that are a rare breed for a reason.

This is all true and fair enough. It's very much hate the game not the player. Which is all most on here seem to be doing, hating the game that that some people have chosen to play. A lot of people think it's a cynical game which doesn't represent their experience of climbing - a bit like when Sharma (who virtually everyone respects for his climbing) does some ridiculously shit film with heartthrob celebratory rock orangutan, Jason Momo.  At least she hasn't started selling r.edbull to children, yet...

chriss

• stalker
#156 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 28, 2022, 10:41:56 pm
I mean I'm not part of the scene & a relative punter, but YouTube etc rely on clicks . It's part of the YouTube game. If you look at the pros from Matt Jones (MTB) to Magnus Midtbo they all love click bait.

I think Anna would of done this without having a vlogger following along.

abarro81

• forum hero
#157 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 29, 2022, 08:08:06 am
It's perfectly reasonable to hate the game and think worse of the players surely... If you go down the "appeal to idiots" route, you have to accept that non-idiots may think poorly of it (this applies not just to "pro climber"/influencer types but politicians, "celebrities" of all kinds etc surely)

Wood FT

• forum hero
#158 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 29, 2022, 08:18:12 am
Barros, don't be hard on yourself, you are an idiot. Just a different kind of idiot.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#159 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 29, 2022, 09:35:26 am
She doesn’t do it though, she misses out the first move which is the hard one.

I actually thought kodus if she did the second move on that, that's still pretty nails. But nope, she skips that one too. So just the end, after all the hard climbing is over.

To be fair, she's not claiming to have done the 8a.

The clickbait stuff is annoying but if it means you can monetise how I
pretty much lived in my 20s then fair play to them, I'm jealous.

Anna's content does actually seem pretty good, but I rarely click because of the titles.

Also, despite all that, the send footage in this is quality

abarro81

• forum hero
#160 Re: Significant First Ascents
August 29, 2022, 10:07:21 am
Barros, don't be hard on yourself, you are an idiot. Just a different kind of idiot.
Too true, but different enough to feel endlessly superior to all the other idiots  :lol:

To be fair, she's not claiming to have done the 8a.
No, though the editing with the spotter's reaction for the final move is just ambiguous enough that you could come away with the wrong impression if you were so inclined... A more cynical soul might wonder if that were intentional, but I presume it's just a lack of thinking.

Bradders

• forum hero
#161 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 17, 2022, 08:33:15 pm
Pretty incredible looking solo / highball done by Mat Wright:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CinmawcjuNk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

remus

• forum hero
#162 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 22, 2022, 08:38:33 pm
New 8B+ at the schoolroom from Jim Pope. Doesn't get much more significant than that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci0eZGmDIAv/

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#163 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 22, 2022, 09:26:10 pm
Near the other end of the steepness spectrum, an 8B+ wall in font for Nico Januel, looks amazing!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci0JoHWLgqj/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#164 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 22, 2022, 10:13:53 pm
Looks very cool, what do you think he means by ground start?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#165 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 22, 2022, 10:31:31 pm
Sounds like this is the full start to an 8A that started off the block you can see to the left

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#166 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 22, 2022, 11:59:44 pm
ah makes sense cheers

edshakey

• forum abuser
#167 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 25, 2022, 07:40:13 pm
Pete W has done his big Gogarth thing. "E8 experience". Sounds great/awful/incredible/horrendous

The Gogarth roof finally comes together!
3 pitch adventure across (possibly?) Britain's biggest roof climb.

Although not a pure crack at all, you get to use a full range of crack techniques on it:
- Hand, fist, teacups, butterfly jams
- arm bars, kneebars and chicken wings
- foot cams, inverts and wide pony.
- squeeze and bridging
- head jams (back of my head is bruised...)

4 x #5 and 4 x #6 is a minimum at the larger end of the rack.

Not sure if those kind of details excite people to try 😅 but the terrain it covers is pretty wild.

The route is well protected with a few safe run outs. But you should expect an E8 experience to get across the thing.

Big thanks to both George Smith for the tip off and especially @calummuskett who came for numerous sessions and had the joy of seconding...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#168 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 25, 2022, 08:11:55 pm
Also a link, which may or may not work because insta and FB are giant piles of leprotic shit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci8JBrcMzVt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I concur with your assessment, ed.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#169 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 26, 2022, 09:50:45 am
Is that at Porth Dafarch  :-\

I'm guessing they climbed this on Saturday, as we were on Yellow Wall both days this weekend and conditions on Sunday weren't great...

andy moles

• forum abuser
#170 Re: Significant First Ascents
September 26, 2022, 12:52:18 pm
conditions on Sunday weren't great...

He looks pretty sweaty.

Bradders

• forum hero
#171 Re: Significant First Ascents
October 15, 2022, 01:44:58 pm
One of those "how has this not been done before" things:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjuwy7jjzsc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=