UKBouldering.com

The inevitable E grade thread (Read 4067 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
Should have just pulled on and campused to that good edge I suppose

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I'm not sure it's such a rare view as you say but I've no real idea.

Of the hundreds of years of collective bouldering experience in here, I don't think you’ll find a single person who would support this view. If you think it’s not rare then I’d suggest it must be in a subset of folk you climb with. 

Dingdong

• forum abuser
If anything to me it feels like with grit technique is 90% of the difficulty, a lot of stuff is tekkers and then feels piss when you refine it so much you flow on the send go.

Wellsy

• forum hero
I'm not sure it's such a rare view as you say but I've no real idea.

Of the hundreds of years of collective bouldering experience in here, I don't think you’ll find a single person who would support this view. If you think it’s not rare then I’d suggest it must be in a subset of folk you climb with.

Again, it's out there, i dunno how common a view it is. But I don't think there's much point carrying on the discussion tbh as its not like anyone here is it disagreement on it

Tom de Gay

• stalker
This sounds like a myth perpetuated by strong folk who have had a hard time on slabs with supposedly moderate grades.

In their defence, I have a hard time differentiating the difficulty of most Font slabs. Forêt Noire (7A+) feels as hard to me as Super Prestat (7B+).

Some problems in Font do seem have a bit of danger money attached to the grade, but it's not entirely clear how much, and doesn't seem to apply to old school terrifiers like Le Pilier Légendaire at Éléphant, which is E5 6b but was 6C back in the day.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Is that E6 6b on the "West Side Story is E4" grading scale or the "West Side Story is E6" grading scale

Tom de Gay

• stalker
Is that E6 6b on the "West Side Story is E4" grading scale or the "West Side Story is E6" grading scale

Since the "West Side Story is E6" grading scale was invented last week, I was referring the decades-old established scale, which conveniently allows comparison across climbs of a similar type: a bit harder than White Wand, not as hard as Ulysses.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal