UKBouldering.com

R.I.P The Matrix (Read 3426 times)

tomc

• player
R.I.P The Matrix
May 31, 2022, 01:34:15 pm
Just read on the Sport Sheffield Facebook page that the Matrix is closing down after 20 years - I think I've been almost every year since it opened - admittedly its not changed a lot in that time - apart from a couple of different ways to get in - but its been a blast my old featured friend.  Will never forget that windowless sweaty smell
Not sure if they're doing anything else to cater for the students - but was always a handy cheap quick hit for this part of town anyway.
Will spill some beer for it tonight

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#1 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
May 31, 2022, 03:51:41 pm
I guess with the Depot, Hangar, AW and Foundry all being that side of town (albiet a bit further out) its time was always gonna come... I've not been since the Works opened (!!) but have fond memories of the old sweatbox!

On an almost related note do folk think that the proliferation of new bouldering centres like the Hangar and Depot are spelling the end for the traditional Sheffield walls? I was at the Foundry on Sunday for the first time in years and it felt like it was really showing its age... Would hate to see this go the way of the Matrix and The Edge (which I still sorely miss!!)...

mark20

• junky
#2 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
May 31, 2022, 04:05:20 pm
I always quite enjoyed climbing at the Matrix, so this is a shame. Hopefully those old textured panels (entreprises/bendcrete?) are put to good use and not just chucked in a skip...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#3 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
May 31, 2022, 05:52:13 pm
Is there a school in Sheffield that could make use of the panels?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
May 31, 2022, 06:42:22 pm
Pretty rank by post-y2k wall standards, but the climb+sauna combo was unbeatable  :fishing:

RobinB

• addict
#5 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 01, 2022, 07:39:17 am
Ah - that's a shame - not the best quality wall but was really convenient for me for a few years on my Leeds commute as it was between the train station and where I live. Unfortunately they had stopped changing the problems over the last few years so I haven't been for a while. However for what it was, it was ok and the problem setting was quite good while they stuck at it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 01, 2022, 09:01:37 am

Apparently they couldn't give the panels away when they took down one of the walls in the Liverpool area (Warrington?) A mate was going to try and use some at home but didn't bother in the end as they were so big and heavy.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 01, 2022, 09:57:28 am

Apparently they couldn't give the panels away when they took down one of the walls in the Liverpool area (Warrington?) A mate was going to try and use some at home but didn't bother in the end as they were so big and heavy.
The panels from the old Netherton Activity Centre ended up at a previous school of mine, so it can be done.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 01, 2022, 10:00:38 am
Like to think so, just saying. How may climbing centres did the immediate Sheffield area peak at before they started closing?

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 01, 2022, 02:16:01 pm
However for what it was, it was ok and the problem setting was quite good while they stuck at it.

Setting was good during my uni days - did Huffy set there?

The heat was always a bit much though.

RobinB

• addict
#10 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 01, 2022, 03:59:20 pm
The heat was always a bit much though

Agreed - in later years there was a big fan in situ - but it was a bit noisy

tomc

• player
#11 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 01, 2022, 04:42:10 pm
I’m sure a couple of the edge panels went to a uni wall somewhere in the midlands that had a similar setup. Imagine the matrix ball will be skipped…

honroid

• addict
#12 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 26, 2022, 08:24:01 pm
Be a good compression trainer if you had the space, that thing.

The Matrix was quality back in the day before the Works opened up. Dan French set there, right? Place was full of French holds then Bleaustone.. fond memories.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#13 Re: R.I.P The Matrix
June 26, 2022, 10:14:48 pm
I used to set down there in 2004-2006 on and off with Steve Royle and I think Scutt and Huffy sometimes, cant really remember though. Dan Varian used to set there too I recall

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal