places to visit > competitions

Olympic qualification Paris 2024

<< < (3/9) > >>

mattbirddog:

--- Quote from: Potash on May 19, 2022, 04:46:22 pm ---
If the 40 invites (still sounds dodgy and a weird stitch up)

--- End quote ---

Couple of thoughts:

- this combined event, yet again, is something only a couple of Spanish climbers have actually competed in so far and is only been run a handful of times prior to the Olympics so if I was an athlete I would really want to secure qualification asap so I can prep before going on the world's biggest sporting stage.

- the Urban series runs until June, the Olympics start in July so you have time for in form athletes to qualify a month out - albeit from the 2023 pool.

- Continentals allow for a 'Colin Duffy' to come out of nowhere to win it, although I would argue that this is a lot more unlikely in the Europe or Americas blocs this time around.

- To hit the 'Olympic Spirit' mark, the Olympics qualification rules will always try and get a fair spread of athletes with the continental qualification spot, tripartite etc and limiting to two spots per country.

Whilst this creates an artificial representation of the world's best (which lets face it would be predominantly Japanese, French and US with smatterings of other nations to fill the numbers), it meets the 'Olympic Spirit' test.

We can watch the IFSC world cups to watch utter domination of power countries week in week out!

Bradders:

--- Quote from: mattbirddog on May 20, 2022, 07:14:10 am ---Whilst this creates an artificial representation of the world's best (which lets face it would be predominantly Japanese, French and US with smatterings of other nations to fill the numbers), it meets the 'Olympic Spirit' test.

--- End quote ---

Don't forget the Slovenians!

SA Chris:

--- Quote from: mattbirddog on May 20, 2022, 06:54:35 am ---breakdancing

--- End quote ---

Slightly OT, but WTF. Breakdancing was cool in the mid 80s, are there that many people who compete?

abarro81:

--- Quote from: mattbirddog on May 20, 2022, 06:54:35 am ---No, you are correct.

The IOC is putting breakdancing, skating, BMX and climbing together. I agree whilst the others make total sense, for climbing in a traditional sense feels like a bit of a stretch.

I guess most indoor walls and climbers are from urban areas so that's how you wrap your head around it? Plus all will be held in Cities.

--- End quote ---

Haha, I really hope all the urban events are won by people off the back of flashing 9a in Ceuse just to show how crap that concept is  :lol: Between that branding and everything going to Discovery it seems like the IFSC is doing its best to make comp climbing irrelevant to most rock climbers

mattbirddog:

--- Quote from: Bradders on May 20, 2022, 07:29:04 am ---
--- Quote from: mattbirddog on May 20, 2022, 07:14:10 am ---
Don't forget the Slovenians!

--- End quote ---

Agreed, but bar Janja's cameo in Meiringen they have had a pretty awful season so by their usually very high standards and they are looking light on the men's side of the drawer whereas France, Japan and USA dominate across both sides of the comp.

Expect the Slovenian women to do well in Lead season tho as usual.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version