UKBouldering.com

Topic split: Climbing style and personality (Read 2104 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
It's strange that you can learn so much about a person from just watching a video of them climbing, mostly from behind. I've never him, but you can tell just from this video that he's a really nice guy.

I'm sure he is but this is total nonsense  :lol:

Duncan campbell

• junky
That's pretty amazing footage. It's strange that you can learn so much about a person from just watching a video of them climbing, mostly from behind. I've never him, but you can tell just from this video that he's a really nice guy. Class effort.

How can you tell this Franco??

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
He doesn't have a drone following him about :)

webbo

• forum hero
That's pretty amazing footage. It's strange that you can learn so much about a person from just watching a video of them climbing, mostly from behind. I've never him, but you can tell just from this video that he's a really nice guy. Class effort.

Maybe Franco can see his Aura  :ang:

Doylo

• forum hero
Saw a video of a cuddly community Dr once called Harold Shipman, had a comforting fluffy beard and everything. Looked a lovely chap.

Franco

• menacing presence

Perhaps I'm mistaken,  but it seems plausible that you can learn quite a lot about someone from body language. A lot of the way you move when you climb is just beta: doing the moves necessary between the holds. But the way you do these moves also reveals quite a lot about the mindset you're in and your general attitude to the challenge and the world. I'm sure you could figure out introvert vs. extrovert for example. There is a lot of variation in the way you can do a move, all that would allow that move to be done. Moreover, generally when people are climbing a 9b, I'd imagine they're in quite a flow state, so aren't very aware of how they are being perceived by others - so unlikely to be able to 'act' body language quite as well as someone else who's aware they're being filmed may do.

Then there's also just the general way someone moves. We all know ugly climbers, who just look minging when they climb. That's not how good looking they are, but if they're climbing out of a place of deep-seated insecurity for example, or a  rabid desire to prove themselves etc. I just get totally different vibes fro this footage, even before he gets emotional near the top.

So yeh, I don't want to drag off topic (apologies, as i evidently have), but it just struck me that there was something quite powerfully authentic in his approach to this route that hasn't struck me in countless other videos of people climbing hard things. Thought it was quite interesting.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
When I climb, it looks like someone reversed film of a stop-motion animated Anglepoise lamp falling off a cliff.  I thought I was just crap, now I realise that I am a rabidly insecure egotist  Self-knowledge is a truly horrible thing.  Still, I'm sure my climbing partner Vlad "Silky feet" Putin will have a few words of comfort.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:45:39 pm by moose »

webbo

• forum hero

Perhaps I'm mistaken,  but it seems plausible that you can learn quite a lot about someone from body language. A lot of the way you move when you climb is just beta: doing the moves necessary between the holds. But the way you do these moves also reveals quite a lot about the mindset you're in and your general attitude to the challenge and the world. I'm sure you could figure out introvert vs. extrovert for example. There is a lot of variation in the way you can do a move, all that would allow that move to be done. Moreover, generally when people are climbing a 9b, I'd imagine they're in quite a flow state, so aren't very aware of how they are being perceived by others - so unlikely to be able to 'act' body language quite as well as someone else who's aware they're being filmed may do.

Then there's also just the general way someone moves. We all know ugly climbers, who just look minging when they climb. That's not how good looking they are, but if they're climbing out of a place of deep-seated insecurity for example, or a  rabid desire to prove themselves etc. I just get totally different vibes fro this footage, even before he gets emotional near the top.

So yeh, I don't want to drag off topic (apologies, as i evidently have), but it just struck me that there was something quite powerfully authentic in his approach to this route that hasn't struck me in countless other videos of people climbing hard things. Thought it was quite interesting.
Having worked in mental health for 30 plus years where body language has a part to play in the overall picture of someone’s mental presentation. The above is probably the biggest load of bollocks I heard in years.
But don’t mind me you just carry on, maybe there’s a book in this. Possibly self help. :worms:

petejh

• forum hero
Bollocks but nice-to-read-bollocks, thanks Franco.

I'm sure you could figure out introvert vs. extrovert for example.

I also may be mistaken. But I'd bet good money that you couldn't tell this from observing climbing movement, especially of someone lost in the movement of a hard redpoint at a popular crag. I say that because many 'performers' in life - a climber on a popular crag is engaging in a sort of public performance, among other things - are actually introverts.

grimer

• forum hero
People are very harsh to people :-(

petejh

• forum hero
Probably extroverts, can tell by the way people type. :)

Goat

@Franco, as a case study, what do you think Eder's climbing in the video suggests about his personality? Introvert or extrovert, plus any other deduced details? (I'm not trying to bait you. I am genuinely just curious.)

Doylo

• forum hero
It can't be right cos I used to move beautifully and I'm a cunt.

Franco

• menacing presence

Having worked in mental health for 30 plus years where body language has a part to play in the overall picture of someone’s mental presentation. The above is probably the biggest load of bollocks I heard in years.
But don’t mind me you just carry on, maybe there’s a book in this. Possibly self help. :worms:

Here's a different way of looking at it: if you think of the person you climb with most, do you think that they display elements of their personality in the way that they climb?

I've never thought of this before, and it's not like I go around watching people climb with this in mind, but I was struck by what a window into his soul this bit of footage was. I'm certainly not going to try and psychoanalyse him and that wasn't really my point. Perhaps it is just like seeing one side of someone at their best, at a party or something, but seemed to be quite an honestly joyous event.

abarro81

• forum hero
Sending your multi-season project in being honestly joyous shocker  :lol:

In answer to your Q - when considering purely the climbing (and not the approach to that climbing), thinking about the people I know well, I don't think that personality and climbing style seem to me to be highly correlated

Ged

• junky
Agreed. I know some fairly quiet introspective types who turn into absolutely savage animals when they pull in. And equally, big loud alpha types who turn into meek cowering wrecks.

Bradders

• forum hero

If you call shaking like a shitting dog on everything from 7A to 8B then yes, beautiful  ;) :lol:

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac

If you call shaking like a shitting dog on everything from 7A to 8B then yes, beautiful  ;) :lol:

Never did Dave Graham any harm

Sikorsky From Hell

I thought I would put Franco's theory of judging character by movement during an activity to the test. So, I popped down to the local ale house last night and proceeded to watch a group of men playing darts. After a while, and a few jars for Dutch Courage, I approached the group and said to them "You look and sound like a bunch of tattooed thugs, but by the way you throw them arrows I can tell you are all beautiful inside.

Imagine my surprise when they kicked seven shades of shit out of me!

Dexter

• obsessive maniac

In that case climbs like a cunt = is a cunt so perfect correlation right. n=1 no more investigation needed. I'll go publish this now.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Does talking utter bollocks about climbing mean you are a big hairy ball sack?

Possibly, but not definitely.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal