UKBouldering.com

Topic split: Kneebars / Kneepads / Knee training (Read 5868 times)

submaximal gains

• player
Eder trains for knee bars as seriously as one would expect.

Copied from 8a.nu so you don't have to go there:

"In the Eder Lomba video of Rainman 9b, we can see that he stays in a kneebar from 3:50 - 7:10, and short parts of it, "no hands rest". Steve McClure did the FA and he has said about that rest, "Kinda rubbishy kneebar, very intense, you are not staying there very long." Noteworthy is that they are both 170 cm tall. It should also be mentioned that when Adam Ondra tried the route in 2017 he could also get a no hands rest but still thought it was 9b.

Steve comments: Knee pad technology has improved somewhat! With the pads I now use I’d have been able to rest better! At the time the pad I found most useful was a simple knee support bandage. I also sometimes used an original 5.10 pad but it kept slipping down. So the route was really a sprint from the top of Raindogs all the way up. But this is the progression of things. New tools come along that we use to give us the edge…. Shoes, sticky rubber, chalk, cams. And these tools make the climbing feel better. Which is good!

The kneebar with good pads will make it a little bit easier, but by how much I can’t say. If others propose a downgrade, fair enough. But pretty sure for me, and the way I climbed it, it was 9b. What more can I say? Do we have to get so obsessed by the grade? If we must… I thought 9b. Ondra thought so. Eder needed ‘9b’ leg power to do it that no one else has maybe? He has used new strengths applied to the route in an awesome way. Luckily I did it yonks ago, had such a good journey. And will be happy forever.

Eder comments: When I first tried the kneebar I couldn’t get no hands, took me 3-4 sessions to get 5 seconds no hands, and months training my legs so I could stay longer, last November managed for the first time 1 min on the kneebar and after a winter of training I got 3 min for the first time last month. The kneebar is hard very painful and super intense, what you see on the video is the outcome of loads of really hard work, loads of pain and loads off pinning off the kneebar buttering your knees… My mate Josh Ibertson is also trying the route with the same knee pads and he struggles to get 30 seconds no hands… he is been trying the route for as long as I have.

So the training, I did loads of strength training like weighted squad deadlifting. Also some pain tolerance training for my right toes, because the kneebar is so intense that my right toe will really hurt due to the pressure you inevitably apply on the heel. All that pressure transfers through the shoe getting really tight on the toes.

I also did loads of explosive jumping. Calf raises… but the specific for the route where kneebar behind de campus and body crunches every other day, and the pain tolerance by adding weight to my calf raises on really painful footholds. The toes were really painful due to the particularity of the foothold.

On this particular kneebar, (see the picture), I use my left leg to still push my right foot into place to keep a more stable pose. I found that the more comfortable way to stay on the kneebar."

abarro81

• forum hero
Honestly, that's some disingenuous bollocks from Steve. The Send pads widely available in 2017 are not hugely different from the current iteration and IMO not hugely different from the Blak Pad  (though Eder's looks like it may be a new version? Or at least a new colour vs what I have). It's like claiming that the difference is down to having to have used a pair of Dragons but now people can use an Unparallel instead. Pretty unedifying if you ask me

danm

• junky
I didn't read it that way at all tbh, seems pretty fucking obvious that Steve's saying he couldn't get a knee pad to work as well as Eder does in the video, but that it's also bloody obvious that Eder has trained like a maniac to maximise the benefit and that this is just as valid, in Steve's eyes, as training to maximise any other aspect that will get you to the top. Stop getting your kneepads in a twist!

abarro81

• forum hero
Really? The entire first paragraph is devoted to talking about how much better pads have got. Reads like sour grapes to me

ferret

• forum abuser
I'm with Dan

"New tools come along that we use to give us the edge…. Shoes, sticky rubber, chalk, cams. And these tools make the climbing feel better. Which is good!"

"He has used new strengths applied to the route in an awesome way."

Doesn't sound like sour grapes to me at all, especially from a guy that goes so far out of his way to not say anything controversial that at times it borders on annoying.
Would agree that you could have probably tracked down a pad that wasn't too far away in effectiveness.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
That’s impressive extra next level training by Eder especially considering he was already a kneebar wizard

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I also think it comes across fine from Steve, but I do also think he was insane to still be using a 5.10 pad when the send ones were about. Less common, sure but definitely available for the pros.

Amazing effort from Eder. The point he makes about Josh in the same knee bar is a good one. Whenever you watch Josh in it he's grimacing and generally busting a gut to stay in position for 30 seconds. Eders core and legs must be unbelievable; I quite like the expression 9b leg power!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Really? The entire first paragraph is devoted to talking about how much better pads have got. Reads like sour grapes to me

Given that the title of the piece is “Lomba's 9b knee pad technique and leg strength story” that seems reasonable  :lol:

Shy Ted

• regular
Saw a video of a cuddly community Dr once called Harold Shipman, had a comforting fluffy beard and everything. Looked a lovely chap.
Brilliant

abarro81

• forum hero

Given that the title of the piece is “Lomba's 9b knee pad technique and leg strength story” that seems reasonable  :lol:

The title will be from Jens

Wellsy

• forum hero
I feel like he's basically saying the kneebar is awful and required such specific training that it doesn't add to the grade

He hasn't proposed a downgrade after all

Maybe Steve is a little sensitive to the proposition of such after all it was a huge labour for him. I can understand that. I think its a truly mega effort from both of em.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

The title will be from Jens

Who will have asked for, or selected, quotes to fit the article. It’s going to mainly his story angle rather than Steve’s.

I’m sure Steve is miffed with himself for not working on the kneebar and pad selection more like Megos was miffed not getting the best sequence on Bibliographie.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:25:02 am by shark »

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
I'm with Barrows, to be claiming that the best kneepad available in 2017 was a knee support bandage and implying that it's the improvement in pads (and implying the difference is equivalent to the introduction of sticky rubber, chalk or cams) that makes the kneebar viable ("With the pads I use now...!") rather than Eder's skill and specific training is pretty poor, and ignores the fact that Ondra could use the kneebar in 2017 (morphology may make it easier for Ondra, but it shows it isn't purely down to improvement in pads).

People on here were sourcing Send pads in 2014. Maybe Steve felt he couldn't wear a non-5.10 pad due to sponsorship?

remus

• forum hero
Seems like it's just about how you read Steve's comments :shrug: I didn't read it as him having a go at anyone or dismissing the kneebar tech. It's obviously not a straightforward knee and requires significant skill + training to make it work.

Bradders

• forum hero
Seems like it's just about how you read Steve's comments :shrug: I didn't read it as him having a go at anyone or dismissing the kneebar tech. It's obviously not a straightforward knee and requires significant skill + training to make it work.

Yeah, likewise. And doesn't sound like it warrants a downgrade either based on Eder's explanation; it's just a different way of doing it. You either;

a) develop your anaerobic capacity in the forearms as per Steve; or,
b) develop your leg and toe strength to use the knee bar as per Eder.

One isn't necessarily easier than the other.

abarro81

• forum hero
I didn't read it as him having a go at anyone or dismissing the kneebar tech.

Perhaps we're getting crossed wires - I also didn't read it as either of those things, so not sure where they come from? I read it as putting too much emphasis on the changes in kneebar tech - this would be true for an FA in 2007 but not in 2017 IMO.
I do now wonder if the question posed by Jens means that the answer from Steve reads out-of-context; e.g. if the Q was "what do you think about knee pads" then the answer reads a lots better than if the Q was "what do you think about the kneebars on this route"

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

Yeah, likewise. And doesn't sound like it warrants a downgrade either based on Eder's explanation; it's just a different way of doing it. You either;

This is interesting isn't it? People have been doing the former for decades but I've never heard of anyone going to quite the lengths that Eder has to train knees. Perhaps they have, just never set it out publicly.
It's likely that kneebarring is still in its emergent stage. Perhaps Eder's kneebarring seems like "9b standard" to us primitives, but will be seen as more lowly in the future as people get better and better at hanging off their legs.

Bradders

• forum hero

This is interesting isn't it? People have been doing the former for decades but I've never heard of anyone going to quite the lengths that Eder has to train knees. Perhaps they have, just never set it out publicly.
It's likely that kneebarring is still in its emergent stage. Perhaps Eder's kneebarring seems like "9b standard" to us primitives, but will be seen as more lowly in the future as people get better and better at hanging off their legs.

Ondra is the other notable example, for the kneebars on Silence. Sure he said something like initially he couldn't use them, and eventually got up to taking hands off for c. 4 mins!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

Ondra is the other notable example, for the kneebars on Silence. Sure he said something like initially he couldn't use them, and eventually got up to taking hands off for c. 4 mins!

This is broadly what happens with rests though isn't it. More than once I've gone up something, felt some holds and thought 'jesus, no way can I shake out there,' a few sessions later and I can recover pretty well. Obviously its poles apart but the general principle stands. As a complete kneebar novice I had the same experience (repeatedly) in Rodellar; seemingly very marginal knees ended up being really good eventually.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

I’m assuming Barrows has also spent a lot of time hanging upside down with his knees stuffed behind a campus board!

Paul B

• forum hero
It was Steve that added the plywood extension underneath the Foundry board (I believe) allowing people to kneebar and hang inverted either 'curling up' with weights or just doing touches/holds. Even I used it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Yep, and how many people have done a winter's specific pain tolerance training? Fewer people than now have a Lattice plan, would you agree? And what would Eder do after another 5 winter's training with a more professional approach informed by better developed sport science? How many research papers are published right now about the effects of various training regimes on kneebar performance?

My point is that kneebarring is almost certainly still in relative infancy, way behind on its developmental curve than other forms of training. There are some early adopters who are reaping the benefits while there are still lots of people grumbling about using kneebars on existing routes. Kind of like people training in the 80s whilst others moaned that it's cheating if you turn up to the crag without a hangover.

Duma

• forum hero
Don't think I've ever heard anyone grumble about kneeBARS on existing routes. KneePADS certainly. One is a technique, and complaining about it ridiculous, the other is a relatively recent bit of equipment, and eschewing it (or pointing out that it may change the difficulty of something) is a reasonable position, though an increasingly minority one.

abarro81

• forum hero
From a few messages with Steve, I think that where I read him as saying pad tech had improved a lot since 2017 (which I objected to), what he meant was more that for him pad tech has changed a lot over that period, in part because he was a bit behind the curve back then.  Which all makes sense.

I’m assuming Barrows has also spent a lot of time hanging upside down with his knees stuffed behind a campus board!
Oh yes, very much so. Done plenty of finding kneebars on the School splat board to train on too. But never to the point of training pain tolerance, and I've only ever tried training my calves - not the other bits of the leg. Got some new ideas to try now!

I think on the training for kneebaring front that Will is right but others are right too - people have been doing it for years (people in Colorado were doing calf raises before I'd ever seen a kneepad), but there's a lot further to go and now that it's less niche people will start to learn what does/doesn't work well. Some people still look at me funny when I'm training in a pair of old pads, like they used to 10 years ago when training with a stopwatch.. but like stopwatches are now common, I suspect that in another 10 years people retiring pads to "training pads" after a season will be common and calf raises will be standard.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Don't think I've ever heard anyone grumble about kneeBARS on existing routes. KneePADS certainly.

With respect, Duma, where have you been?  :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
Don't think I've ever heard anyone grumble about kneeBARS on existing routes. KneePADS certainly. One is a technique, and complaining about it ridiculous

I don't entirely agree with this; at crags which were historically used as places to train, seeking out eliminates to enhance difficulty I don't see the difference (personally). This came apparent when everyone started to find certain problems at the Tor (no, not Ben's Roof) easier but in reality had ignored the 'rules'. Yes, it's fine to not do so (and we can argue plenty about the merits of training by eliminating technique etc.), but it isn't the same thing.

but like stopwatches are now common, I suspect that in another 10 years people retiring pads to "training pads" after a season will be common and calf raises will be standard.

Definitely. I've been trying to find a suitable volume that'll fit on my board that will allow me to get a hands off rest without taking up an unreasonable amount of room. Training on Ste's bit of wood (ooh err) did work wonders for me.

abarro81

• forum hero
we can argue plenty about the merits of training by eliminating technique etc
My standard answer when someone asks me why I would use a knee indoors, or use an easier sequence than the intended one indoors, or use a knee on boulder links that are mostly for training is "I'm not training to be shit at rock climbing"...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 02:13:52 pm by abarro81 »

petejh

• forum hero
we can argue plenty about the merits of training by eliminating technique etc
My standard answer when someone asks me why I would use a knee indoors, or use an easier sequence than the intended one indoors, or use a knee on boulder links that are mostly for training is "I'm not training to be shit at sport climbing or cave-style bouldering as practiced since the 2010s. "...
Added context for you. Rock climbing's a broad church that encompasses E5 5c at Gogarth, the Walker Spur *and* 9b at Malham. You're training to be good at one bit of 'rock-climbing' but not the others (which you might or might not remain relatively shit at, independent of being good at the other).

And 'rock climbing' pre-kneepads wasn't the same as rock climbing is post-kneepads. Inevitable transition period still ongoing. Still waiting for little hard plastic heel spikes on rock shoes as the next boat-rocking evolution. Dunno how much they'll help on the Walker Spur.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 03:08:21 pm by petejh »

abarro81

• forum hero
I think you may have misread or misunderstood my post...  the middle of the 3 examples didn't even have anything to do with knees (padded or otherwise). And the other two didn't even mention pads, just knees, which AFAIK were invented prior to 2010. Either that or I just imagined going to Europe and everyone kneebaring the tufas before that? And everyone kneebaring at the cornice for that matter. Even if you were a pad hater there'd still be good reason to practice kneebar technique.

Still waiting for little hard plastic heel spikes on rock shoes as the next boat-rocking evolution
I take it you've never tried an anasazi on a spike before. But god it gets  :yawn: pointing that out to you again  :lol:

P.S. I'll remember to do more indoor eliminates and no-knee link ups at Griff's to train for adventure choss and winterneering  :lol: I have genuinely no clue how the point you're trying to make there relates to whether "training" by technique eliminates is a good idea or just crap training if what you want to get better at is the vast majority of rock climbing (i.e. not pinches wall eliminates)! It's a long time since I climbed a Gogarth E5, but IIRC the ability to climb sequences efficiently was more useful on trad than the ability to campus.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 03:30:50 pm by abarro81 »

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Everybody get your bingo cards ready for the imminent thread split…

Duma

• forum hero
Hah! Bagsy bottom left

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Still waiting for little hard plastic heel spikes on rock shoes as the next boat-rocking evolution. Dunno how much they'll help on the Walker Spur.

Heel spurs on the Walker Spur?

petejh

• forum hero
I think you may have misread or misunderstood my post...  the middle of the 3 examples didn't even have anything to do with knees (padded or otherwise). And the other two didn't even mention pads, just knees, which AFAIK were invented prior to 2010. Either that or I just imagined going to Europe and everyone kneebaring the tufas before that? And everyone kneebaring at the cornice for that matter. Even if you were a pad hater there'd still be good reason to practice kneebar technique.

Still waiting for little hard plastic heel spikes on rock shoes as the next boat-rocking evolution
I take it you've never tried an anasazi on a spike before. But god it gets  :yawn: pointing that out to you again  :lol:

P.S. I'll remember to do more indoor eliminates and no-knee link ups at Griff's to train for adventure choss and winterneering  :lol: I have genuinely no clue how the point you're trying to make there relates to whether "training" by technique eliminates is a good idea or just crap training if what you want to get better at is the vast majority of rock climbing (i.e. not pinches wall eliminates)! It's a long time since I climbed a Gogarth E5, but IIRC the ability to climb sequences efficiently was more useful on trad than the ability to campus.

Was merely a light-hearted attempt to point out that when you said you train knees so as not to be shit at 'rock climbing' your definition was one very specific type of rock climbing. Seems it wasn't taken in the spirit it was sent. Never mind.  ::)

Paul B

• forum hero
My standard answer when someone asks me why I would use a knee indoors, or use an easier sequence than the intended one indoors, or use a knee on boulder links that are mostly for training is "I'm not training to be shit at rock climbing"...

Totally, and I'm from the same church these days (having retrained myself from being Barry Basic), but let's be clear, if you don't apply the 'rules' of an eliminate (and these exist), it is generally easier. That's not a comment on the recent ascent BTW before I inadvertently upset someone.

abarro81

• forum hero
Was merely a light-hearted attempt to point out that when you said you train knees so as not to be shit at 'rock climbing' your definition was one very specific type of rock climbing. Seems it wasn't taken in the spirit it was sent. Never mind.  ::)
Ah right, sorry, I think the confusion was because I wasn't trying to say that I train knees so as not be bad at climbing, but that I don't artificially avoid knees (or using the easiest sequence, or matching, or any other technique) so as not to be bad at climbing. If I read my post the way you read it then I understand your response (whereas reading your post in the context of how I'd meant mine implied that front-on-basic was good training for the Greater Ranges)!

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
I’m waiting to subscribe for the Need+ app with a range of knee bar sessions catering for different energy systems.  :popcorn:

With Barros & Ondra doing weekly podcasts for their Patreon members.

To be taken in the good fun it was intended.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Kneebars have been trained for years in the offwidth community. It's just we're a bunch of misfits who tend to pursue our sordid practices in private...

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
I have two knee questions.

I seem to keep taking the top layer of skin off my thighs when repeatedly trying kneebars I have to push really hard on. This then scabs and takes a week or 2 to heal. Is this normal or is there a way to mitigate it? I'm wearing the Send pad

I've had a session on a boulder with quite a hard knee (for me at least) and will probably find better positions naturally, but is there anything that can be done to train this specific type of knee where you are pressing inwards with the thigh rather than up and into something? On the vid below, just working the moves, I fall out of the knee quite abruptly as it needs a lot of sidewards pressure. I'm sure this is mostly technique but has anyone trained it?

I suspect ABarro will be best placed to answer, although I know there's at least 2 others on this board that have done this specific problem! Cheers.

remus

• forum hero
I seem to keep taking the top layer of skin off my thighs when repeatedly trying kneebars I have to push really hard on. This then scabs and takes a week or 2 to heal. Is this normal or is there a way to mitigate it? I'm wearing the Send pad

That's interesting, the only issues I tend to get are bruising from pointy knees rather than skin damage. Just speculating, but I guess it'll probably be about minimising pad movement when you're in the knee, so perhaps some tape around the top of the pad and spray glue would help.

I've had a session on a boulder with quite a hard knee (for me at least) and will probably find better positions naturally, but is there anything that can be done to train this specific type of knee where you are pressing inwards with the thigh rather than up and into something? On the vid below, just working the moves, I fall out of the knee quite abruptly as it needs a lot of sidewards pressure. I'm sure this is mostly technique but has anyone trained it?

Calf power and hip mobility are the key for me. Calf for being able to really press in to it and then hip so you don't pull yourself out. I've never really struggled with calf power so haven't trained it, but I do do some hip flexibility work and anecdotally it does seem to have helped my knee bars by allowing my hips to get in to better position for milking them.

abarro81

• forum hero
I get skin damage on hard knees sometimes, but very rarely to the point of actually getting scabs, just raw and sore. like Remus says I think minimising pad movement helps a lot, but on some hard knees its probably not avoidable and you might have to limit number of goes. A stiffer pad (sportiva or blak pad) is also likely to help on the most sore ones.

As far as training that kind of knee goes, I've never tried... I must confess my knee training is 'a bit 90s' in that mostly involves doing knees (indoors and out), plus a bit of calf weights or calf pump using BFR cuffs. I'd imagine that training your hip adductors would help here, should be plenty of exercises out there if you google. Sorry not to be more help!

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Like Barrow's says, adductor work.
A football between the knees is a good place to start, that and knee hooking doorways in a one legged squat position. Waving the other leg around helps make it harder

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
I suspect calf strength and hip mobility / strength are not the issue as I already do a lot of this stuff.

I'll incoporate the doorway knee hooks! In fact i'll try and get even more speicifc by setting some hard kneebars on my board. I'll also give the Sportiva pad a try as I already have one - generally much prefer the Send but who knows for this particular knee.

abarro81

• forum hero
I find the send much more comfy and it's my default go-to, but there are some knees where the sportiva works better (like shoes I guess - I have my default pair but then the odd other option for particular heel hooks or toe hooks)

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
“ I fall out of the knee quite abruptly as it needs a lot of sidewards pressure. ”

You seem to fall out of the knee bar as you reach with your right hand. Maybe you are ever so slightly opening your hip at that moment. Maybe try driving your right hip towards the knee bar and try not to look for the handhold just feel for it while looking the other way.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
“ I fall out of the knee quite abruptly as it needs a lot of sidewards pressure. ”

You seem to fall out of the knee bar as you reach with your right hand. Maybe you are ever so slightly opening your hip at that moment. Maybe try driving your right hip towards the knee bar and try not to look for the handhold just feel for it while looking the other way.

Yes, good spot. Fortunately there isn't an actual hold to look for so precision is non essential :lol:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The other day I went back to the crag where I learned to sport climb in the early 00s, a small but brilliant granite crag a stone's throw south of the polar circle. I had a kneepad with me because it is 2022 and not 1994. I couldn't be bothered to put it on since it was warm and I didn't care if I topped out any of the routes or not.

When I first started to climb there around the turn of the century, I made my first kneepad following some instructions in Climbing Magazine, since it was pretty obvious that it would help. As time progressed, I bought and used the first kneepads commercially available in Sweden (5.10). When I moved away for good some ten years ago, I knew most of the routes at the crag well.

Now, when revisiting the place, I discovered that I could take both hands off using knee bars in a lot more places than I could 15 years ago. In some spots that I previously could only get some marginal knee bars, requiring at least one hand on, and only if wearing a rubber knee pad, I could now take completely bomber no hands rest wearing slippery stretch jeans and no pad.

Just like tape glows allow for faster learning of handjamming by making jams a lot less painful, it seems like my constant kneebaring on Mediterranean limestone wearing protection against the rough rock actually do improve the technique. Who could have known?

I am not sure I have a point other than it helps a lot to move to somewhere with lots of kneebars, buy kneepads, and try to put them in everywhere.

You might get weak.

petejh

• forum hero
The other day I went back to the crag where I learned to sport climb in the early 00s, a small but brilliant granite crag a stone's throw south of the polar circle.

Completely off-topic but have you climbed in the Kvalya region north of Tromso? I was recently looking through the guidebook, considering a trip. If I go I'll be trad climbing (or possibly winter climbing) and won't be kneebarring..

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The other day I went back to the crag where I learned to sport climb in the early 00s, a small but brilliant granite crag a stone's throw south of the polar circle.

Completely off-topic but have you climbed in the Kvalya region north of Tromso? I was recently looking through the guidebook, considering a trip. If I go I'll be trad climbing (or possibly winter climbing) and won't be kneebarring..

I have.

Baugen on Hollenderan might have the best granite in Europe. No joke.

The routes on the left side are incredibly sustained. Thanatos, Gemini, Halvmånerisset, Svart Hav.... they are all brilliant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal