UKBouldering.com

Rockarchivist page on facebook gone? (Read 1135 times)

remus

• forum hero
Rockarchivist page on facebook gone?
May 15, 2022, 09:37:36 am
Anyone know what's happened to the rockarchivist page on facebook? Seems like it's disappeared from existence, which would be a real shame as it had scans of loads of new route books and from chatting to Phil Kelly who put it together I don't think he uploaded the images anywhere else.

(I've got a slightly selfish motivation for finding out what happened to it as I spent fucking ages going through the pics and cataloging them so you could search for a route on climbing-history.org and then see the details in the new route book).

remus

• forum hero
Mystery solved  :lol:

I messaged him on facebook and he's taken it down because someone was ripping off the pics (not CH i might add), planning on delivering it in a different format at some point.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:12:50 am by remus »

edshakey

• forum abuser
Would have been a very awkward conversation if it was CH  ;D

bolehillbilly

• stalker
I was doing a bit of local research last week and tried to find rockarchivist on facebook. Ended up messaging Phil and chatting to him on the phone. He seemed quite upset about a few issues linked to the  rockarchivist project. He didn't mention any future to plans so good to hear there is maybe something in the pipeline, it's such a brilliant resource and piece of work for both climbing and social history.

I didn't realise the level to which he'd archived the old books, he's got every entry indexed. When I told him which route I was looking for and the name of the first ascentionist he managed to find the page from the Stoney new route book and email on to me in less than a couple of minutes.

I also asked him about the Glacier Sports new routes book as I've never seen it on his page. He said that randomly last week it turned up, the former owner of the shop passed it on to a friend of his, been sitting in a box in her attic since the shop closed. He was pretty chuffed about this. Hopefully he'll be able to share some of this on the Lancs Rock Revival FB group soon.

remus

• forum hero
I was doing a bit of local research last week and tried to find rockarchivist on facebook. Ended up messaging Phil and chatting to him on the phone. He seemed quite upset about a few issues linked to the  rockarchivist project. He didn't mention any future to plans so good to hear there is maybe something in the pipeline, it's such a brilliant resource and piece of work for both climbing and social history.

Agreed it is a top notch resource, it was great fun flipping through the books, especially stuff from some of the historic periods e.g. 80s llanberis stuff where there was gold on every page, or some of the entries for peak lime around the time the sport was starting to get developed.

To be honest it's understandable he'd be annoyed if someone's been ripping nit off. Must be hundreds of hours of pretty thankless work that's gone in to the project, not to mention the associated costs.

It'd be great if someone like the alpine club could get involved to support the project but it seems so easy to kill these things with bureaucracy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal