UKBouldering.com

Magic Wood with a baby. (Read 2892 times)

Wood FT

• forum hero
Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 10:25:28 am
Anyone done it and can offer an opinion on whether it’s a good idea, problems with ticks (biting kind) etc?

It’s looks particularly unfriendly to prams but that’s okay.

Baby will be about 10-11 months. 

Any Sheffield folk have a guide I could borrow?  ;)

Ta.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 10:40:38 am
There are some paths you can follow but generally it’s a hillside chaos of boulders, trees both upright and fallen, caves and chasms with unexpected drops off ledges.

ie well named, lovely spots, lots of hazards. I could see how you could manage it, but you’d need to be careful.

Had no direct experience with ticks or babies there, sorry.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 12:51:28 pm
Think it could be a bit challenging with a crawler/toddler tbh. From memory not a lot of flat areas to set up a base camp, and definitely a lot of holes between boulders to fall into.

In contrast Chironico would way more suited, having lots of flat areas around the boulders, but assume you’re looking for a summer venue.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 12:56:40 pm
We did a couple of weeks there when our lad was about 8 months old. Was absolutely fine, but then he wasn't really mobile at that age. I guess at 10 - 11 months yours will probably be on the move, how much is anyone's guess. Getting around the boulders wasn't really any more difficult than without a baby tbh, you just have to take it slow.
Never picked up any ticks there, with or without kids.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 01:22:35 pm
In contrast Chironico would way more suited, having lots of flat areas around the boulders, but assume you’re looking for a summer venue.

How is Chironico in terms of concentration of easy problems? That sort of area is on my list to investigate as potential Easter-ish alternatives to Font - from the sounds of things it ticks the family accessible box, it looks like very nice and aesthetic climbing, but how does it fare as a "set up a base camp near a cluster of stuff from ~4-7A problems" that Font does so well...?

Ged

• junky
#5 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 01:50:21 pm
Anyone done it and can offer an opinion on whether it’s a good idea, problems with ticks (biting kind) etc?

It’s looks particularly unfriendly to prams but that’s okay.

Baby will be about 10-11 months. 

Any Sheffield folk have a guide I could borrow?  ;)

Ta.

I'm sure you know this guy, but font in the summer is totally fine in our experience. We went when ours was 10 months old, in August, and whilst you might not be ticking your hardest ever problem on razor edges, I thought cons were fine in the mornings, and then hit the pool in the afternoon. Plenty of shade on the campsite, and only a short drive.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#6 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 05:05:07 pm

How is Chironico in terms of concentration of easy problems? That sort of area is on my list to investigate as potential Easter-ish alternatives to Font - from the sounds of things it ticks the family accessible box, it looks like very nice and aesthetic climbing, but how does it fare as a "set up a base camp near a cluster of stuff from ~4-7A problems" that Font does so well...?

I think anywhere will suffer in comparison to Font in those terms! It was a few years ago I went but I remember there being several areas that were quite concentrated, as it's essentially a series of smaller areas spread up the hillside with different parking options.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 05:38:17 pm
I think anywhere will suffer in comparison to Font in those terms! It was a few years ago I went but I remember there being several areas that were quite concentrated, as it's essentially a series of smaller areas spread up the hillside with different parking options.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Font, and I like a bit of variety, so it has to hit a sensible minimum level for the key criteria for a family climbing trip, not beat Font in everything to get a look in  :)

Thanks for the beta. It's easy to find videos of hard boulders, but I've not found as much to give me a feel for what places like Cresciano, Chironico and similar would be like for the full family faff punter climbing holiday!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#8 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 09:12:37 pm
This vid has a few easier problems (with some heroic tickmarks!) and also gives an idea of the general boulder surrounds situation.

I really enjoyed Chironico and obviously a beautiful area overall, compared to being stuck in a bit of litter strewn forest surrounded by farm land in Paris commuter land  ;)

Sorry for totally derailing your thread Wood FT!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 01, 2022, 09:48:23 pm
I have been to magic Wood with a baby (with Rob, different babies), the baby was no problem You just need a decent carry rucksack, we did almost lose a 3 year old down a hole but he
should have been looking where he was going.  We mainly stayed near the river.  I don't think it would be much easier in chironico, I found getting round chironico quite hard work (no baby at that point)

Wood FT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 08:21:38 am
Cheers all, these were exactly the type of responses I was looking for.

We’ve got a decent carrier, and will be going to Switzerland anyway for some hiking, so I think we will give it a go. There’s no reason to think we’d let him wander off down in a hole into wonderland but you never know…

I'm sure you know this guy, but font in the summer is totally fine in our experience. We went when ours was 10 months old, in August, and whilst you might not be ticking your hardest ever problem on razor edges, I thought cons were fine in the mornings, and then hit the pool in the afternoon. Plenty of shade on the campsite, and only a short drive.

I think we’ll stop off there. Planned on stopping in the Berdorf again for the cheap fuel and sandstone but will slum it in Font, instead. We’ve just come back from two weeks and it got fairly warm in the second week. Like you say, early mornings with the right aspect. Also, an absolutely beautiful time of the day to be walking around the forest.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:29:42 am by Wood FT »

Wood FT

• forum hero
#11 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 08:23:38 am
I have been to magic Wood with a baby (with Rob, different babies), the baby was no problem You just need a decent carry rucksack, we did almost lose a 3 year old down a hole but he
should have been looking where he was going.  We mainly stayed near the river.  I don't think it would be much easier in chironico, I found getting round chironico quite hard work (no baby at that point)

Sounds good. I assume everywhere but the mountains is too hot anyway come the school summer holidays.

You’ve recently held my baby, as it happens.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:28:46 am by Wood FT »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#12 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 09:47:45 am
Went to the Susten Pass for a day from Magic Wood once. The ground was generally flat and easy to walk around, though uphill, obvs
https://27crags.com/crags/sustenpass

Helge

#13 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 10:16:02 am
I'd say taking a pram there is impossible, but it might be ok with a carry rucksack. Not a place I'd visit with a baby. Chironico has a lot more areas that are easily accessible. The seasons don't really overlap much though. Chironico will already be quite warm unless you go to areas that are in the shade most of the day. I'd scratch Cresciano from my list. It's lower altitude and the road was closed this winter, so you have a 30 minute walk uphill to the first boulders. Sustenpass could be good place to visit if passing through.

If you do go to Magic Wood, try to avoid the summer holidays. The campsite will be packed, and the easily accessible areas near the river crowded. It might be worth just having a stroll by yourself through the forest on the first day to find the easiest paths between different areas. There are areas that you could set up camp higher up the hill, and there are often convenient paths, but if you visit the place for the first time it is easy to get lost. I've never picked up any ticks in Magic Wood, my guess is it's too high up.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#14 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 12:08:04 pm
I'd say taking a pram there is impossible, but it might be ok with a carry rucksack. Not a place I'd visit with a baby. Chironico has a lot more areas that are easily accessible. The seasons don't really overlap much though. Chironico will already be quite warm unless you go to areas that are in the shade most of the day. I'd scratch Cresciano from my list. It's lower altitude and the road was closed this winter, so you have a 30 minute walk uphill to the first boulders. Sustenpass could be good place to visit if passing through.

If you do go to Magic Wood, try to avoid the summer holidays. The campsite will be packed, and the easily accessible areas near the river crowded. It might be worth just having a stroll by yourself through the forest on the first day to find the easiest paths between different areas. There are areas that you could set up camp higher up the hill, and there are often convenient paths, but if you visit the place for the first time it is easy to get lost. I've never picked up any ticks in Magic Wood, my guess is it's too high up.

Thanks for the detailed response

JJP

• addict
#15 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 04:59:36 pm
i’ve been to cresciano with a 1 year old before and it was hard work tbh. it is hilly and wasnt easy to manage a mobile 1 year old. ended up i went and did v early sessions and then met back up with them mid morning which was ok if a bit hectic. that was over 10 years ago but cant imagine it would be all that different now.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#16 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 05:21:37 pm
i’ve been to cresciano with a 1 year old before and it was hard work tbh. it is hilly and wasnt easy to manage a mobile 1 year old. ended up i went and did v early sessions and then met back up with them mid morning which was ok if a bit hectic. that was over 10 years ago but cant imagine it would be all that different now.

Might be better because they'll be at least 11-years old now  ;D

JJP

• addict
#17 Re: Magic Wood with a baby.
May 02, 2022, 11:33:04 pm
😂😂 ye she is 13 and suspect would love cresciano, certainly she would be easier to manage ! 😂

we are heading to font though this as per the other thread, so maybe switzerland next year 🤞

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal