UKBouldering.com

Laptop battery knowledge (Read 1161 times)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Laptop battery knowledge
April 27, 2022, 02:40:09 pm
I have a bit of a strange problem with my laptop. It charges fine and has decent battery life. When I shut the pc down and try and turn it on again on battery nothing happens at all. I can plug the charger in, press the on button, wait 2 seconds, unplug the charger and it works just fine. However this is not possible when I actually need to use it on battery.

Anyone come across anything like this? The laptop is about 2 years old. Is it possible that the battery is in good enough condition to run the pc but doesn't have the umph to start it? Could there be a software / driver issue?

Many thanks!

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Laptop battery knowledge
April 27, 2022, 03:13:19 pm
Is it possible that the battery is in good enough condition to run the pc but doesn't have the umph to start it? Could there be a software / driver issue?

Sounds more likely to be a software issue, potentially BIOS. Doesn't seem likely to be an issue with the battery itself, if it can hold enough charge to run the laptop for a decent period then it'll have no problems supplying enough beans to start up (power draw doesn't change that much at startup vs in normal running).

Maybe teaching you to suck eggs but have you had a good google for similar issues with the same machine?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Laptop battery knowledge
April 27, 2022, 03:25:49 pm
Think remus is right, but might be worth a check what % the battery is at after you start the laptop and unplug and does battery % drop down at a consistent rate, or drop off suddenly?

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Laptop battery knowledge
April 27, 2022, 03:38:19 pm
Daft question but you haven't left "always on" as the power setting so as Chris suggests the laptop gets unplugged and then discharges until it's entirely dead?

My wife likes to do this whilst also inserting the laptop into a lovely insulating neoprene sleeve  :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal