UKBouldering.com

Jacopo Larcher - not a climbing-history.org fan! (Read 2238 times)

edshakey

• forum abuser
Seen on his Facebook (and presumably Instagram) story.

remus

• forum hero
Huh, can't see it on his story, I wonder whether he's removed it?

It's a fair criticism tbh and just a limitation of the way I've designed climbing-history.org (I've assumed that climbs will always have a grade, which isn't the case here).

edshakey

• forum abuser
Was 22 hrs ago when I saw it, so imagine it's just expired.

Yeah I see his point. How much of an overhaul would be needed - or how much would it ruin the tables - to add an 'Ungraded' option for the grade?

remus

• forum hero
...or how much would it ruin the tables...

This is the issue. Actually adding an 'ungraded' option would be straightforward but there's quite a few places in the code that I've assumed everything has a grade so I'd need to go through and straighten all that out. TBH I'll probably just bite the bullet and do it some time soon, the ideal is that it offers an accurate reflection of reality which it can't do while Im pretending everything has a grade.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
Should be possible to add an “estimated grade” column to the DB and use estimated grade everywhere you currently use grade in your code.

Then Jacopo’s stuff can go in as

Grade: ungraded
Estimated Grade: E10

Bradders

• forum hero
Or he could just get off the fence and put a number on them all  ::)

remus

• forum hero
Should be possible to add an “estimated grade” column to the DB and use estimated grade everywhere you currently use grade in your code.

Then Jacopo’s stuff can go in as

Grade: ungraded
Estimated Grade: E10

I like the idea, but I think the estimates are so vague it's probably not worth the extra work (over just having the option of no grade and then changing the lists etc. to check for a grade). For example, my thought process with his latest thing was "He's a beast so it's probably harder than E8". That leaves E9-11 to choose from which isn't very informative imo.

Having said that, I might just add an 'approximate grade' flag. Not quite as accurate as having no grade but super easy to implement and gets across the gist of the situation.

edshakey

• forum abuser
Having said that, I might just add an 'approximate grade' flag. Not quite as accurate as having no grade but super easy to implement and gets across the gist of the situation.

This. I think making it obvious it's a guess and you're not attempting to grade people's routes for them is completely reasonable. Agree with bradders that everything would be a lot easier if they just stuck a number on it in the first place though!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
I have a lot of respect for Jacopo and his routes/ethics but find his reaction to this a little bizaare. Sure, he may have decided to not openly grade things based on his personal ideas about ethics and motivations or whatever, but clearly this isn't the norm in the climbing community and an appreciable understanding of difficulty is one of the cornerstones of climbing as a pursuit. It's fine for him to not put a public grade on something if he doesn't want to, but this doesn't mean nobody else can ever grade it either.

This feels more like an 'E9?! It's way harder than that, although of course I don't care about grades or grade my routes at all...'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal