UKBouldering.com

Bosiwad (Read 175201 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
#550 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 12:51:44 pm
I'm not sure that formula works quite right for boulder grades, I don't think I know many people flashing a large proportion of the problems they do at max-3 grades... I think this only works if not putting that much time into 'max'? Doing max-2 pretty fast seems more realistic

sdm

• forum abuser
#551 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 12:55:02 pm
I think flashing x-2 is probably very rare in bouldering if x is actually your max.

I have flashed x-2 once, but it was a clear outlier. It suited my style perfectly and I suspect it was soft, time will tell as it gets more repeats.

I can't think of another x-2 that I've been close to flashing. I've never flashed x-3, and there's only 3 x-4 that I've flashed.

I have climbed a few x-2 in a session, but the average number of sessions is probably about 3.

I don't think many of the people I climb with regularly have flashed x-2.

remus

• forum hero
#552 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 01:32:24 pm
I have flashed x-2 once, but it was a clear outlier. It suited my style perfectly and I suspect it was soft, time will tell as it gets more repeats.

Couldn't you say something similar about your hardest problems though? If you are anything like me, I've done a couple of things at x but there's plenty of x out there which don't suit me for whatever reason and might as well be x+2 in terms of how feasible they actually seem to me.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#553 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 02:00:07 pm
Backflip SDS
The Charles Albert thing. I'm sorry but eating boiled-up ladybirds and sleeping in a cave does not a 9A make.
Alphane (obvs)
Either Soudain Seul or RotS.

Finally Will Hunt breaks his long silence on grades, you don't see that very often

jwi

• forum hero
  • Distorting facts posted on instagram
    • On Steep Ground
#554 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 02:07:39 pm
You can also demonstrate that you have the required level by repeating a lot of problems at X-2 in short order. Like Nalle did after Burden, where he demonstrated his level by repeating many 8C in few attempts.

Or Seb Bouin for 9c endurance routes. We can believe he has the level because 9b endurance routes are clearly piss.

Most who've done correctly graded 7C can do an occasional 7B flash, and they do most that suit them in a few tries. At least that is my experience. Same for 8A and 7A

I think this is far, far too formulaic and only holds if the hypothetical climbers professed 'max' is in fact nowhere near their max. Maybe a British climber thing where we have so little rock that sieging stuff becomes the norm.

True, some people are very strong or very flexible but really bad at climbing and have a hard time climbing things quckly since they have to learn how to climb on the actual climbs they are trying to siege. Maybe this is true for entire sub-populations of climbing (it used to be too true in northern scandinavia when the climbing season was short and there were no good gyms), but for the elite, those who climb near full time, I would expect them to be very good at doing things that suit them fast.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#555 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 02:13:36 pm
You can tell that it is absolutely not the standard to be able to climb 9A and flash 8C because nobody has done it, and most haven't flashed 8B+

It doesn't really matter whether one thinks they should be able to; they haven't

sdm

• forum abuser
#556 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 02:37:20 pm

Couldn't you say something similar about your hardest problems though? If you are anything like me, I've done a couple of things at x but there's plenty of x out there which don't suit me for whatever reason and might as well be x+2 in terms of how feasible they actually seem to me.
Definitely, there's a lot more x that I can't do than x that I can do. As I get closer to my max grade, the problems that I do tend to suit my style more and more. They tend to feature at least one of my strengths (steep, 3D climbing, compression, crimps, long, flexible footwork). The maximum I'm capable of climbing in something that suits me less well might only be x-2.

The x-2 that I flashed felt like a big outlier, even among such a self selecting sample.

Put me on my anti style (big dynos on slopey pinches) and the max I'm capable of climbing might only be x-5.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#557 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 02:54:11 pm
You can tell that it is absolutely not the standard to be able to climb 9A and flash 8C because nobody has done it, and most haven't flashed 8B+

It doesn't really matter whether one thinks they should be able to; they haven't

That's why I suspect the grade bands are too narrow in the higher grades.

That said, Tomoa, Adam and Jacob have all demonstrated a level where I would expect them to be able to climb 8C+/9A max

Wellsy

• forum hero
#558 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 04:00:37 pm
Your suspicion is that because the climbers performances don't match up to a requirement you have personally created that the grade bands are too narrow? That seems backwards to me.

remus

• forum hero
#559 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 04:07:38 pm
Your suspicion is that because the climbers performances don't match up to a requirement you have personally created that the grade bands are too narrow? That seems backwards to me.

I can't remember where it came from, but there's a similar x/x-2 rule of thumb for sport that's been floating around for quite a long time, so I suspect jwi is just applying the same idea to bouldering.

remus

• forum hero
#560 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 04:08:00 pm

Wellsy

• forum hero
#561 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 04:13:15 pm
Hahahaha I love his surprise when he does it

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#562 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 04:22:24 pm

I can't remember where it came from, but there's a similar x/x-2 rule of thumb for sport that's been floating around for quite a long time, so I suspect jwi is just applying the same idea to bouldering.

They come from some data I stole and some I borrowed. The theory is however from the 80s.

I'm much more confident about the sport grades because the data is better. And sport grades make more sense because of CLT.

I'm not an idiot: I don't require all individual climbers to perform to the x/x-2.5 rule, but the population should

thunderbeest

• regular
#563 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 07:07:25 pm
But isn't flashing a lot harder to get everything in place? Showing up on a boulder where there's someone who has done it or has worked it. There being a video available or even tick marks on it isn't a given I'd say.
Of course if you're Adam Indra you're probably able to get the FA to show you the place and beta, but for the rest of us?

rjtrials

• regular
#564 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 07:36:21 pm
In the post climb self - interview section, the flake looks like it's got loads of glue behind it!!??!!  Would be interesting to know more about the "stabilization" on this boulder, especially since I recall some (not)subtle shit talk about similar things in Scotland?  :worms:

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#565 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 08:50:03 pm
 I just went back for another look and I'm not sure it does, just looks like chalk to me. Am I going blind?

JamieG

• forum hero
#566 Re: Bosiwad
Today at 09:05:36 pm
I agree. I think its just chalk. If you look at the hold close up shots near the start I can't see anything that looks like glue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal