UKBouldering.com

Topic split - Dover chaos (Read 3893 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Topic split - Dover chaos
April 10, 2022, 10:05:52 pm
M - board sesh with #sammarks

Sa - Malham. Put clips in Wasted Youth then finished that off. Upstairs and tried Free and Easy again. Listened to Dave's beta (again) for the crux and tried to make it work to no avail and much swearing - the same result as last time. Came back to the ledge. Later went out again and tried something different and did the crux no problem twice on the trot. Went to the top and feel like this needs work before I try and redpoint - that's a job for after Font.

When are you out there? Same time as Huw?

Freedom club.

M. Acro yoga. Loads of people there and cake for us leaving. Really fun night.

T. Board session. Redid my max hang test. Got up to 173% hang (was 163% 9 weeks ago). Then had a good session after that but tweaked my finger. Seemed to be muscular though and clears up after 3 days.

W. Van jobs and then a fancy fancy 3 Michelin star meal.

T. Van jobs

F. Van jobs and then set off to Sheffield

S. Walk around Burbage and seeing friends. Board session in the evening. Feeling strong and finger was feeling good!

S. Lazy morning and trip to the spa.

We’re heading to Dover tomorrow. Psyched to be properly on the way now. Can’t wait to clip some bolts!

Bradders

• forum hero
#1 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 10, 2022, 10:21:49 pm
Quote from: Will Hunt link=topic=31835.msg658035#
Font.
We’re heading to Dover tomorrow. Psyched to be properly on the way now. Can’t wait to clip some bolts!

Word of advice to you both around travelling to France; allow LOTS of time before your booked ferry / train. Traffic is absolute chaos at the moment with Operation Brock etc.

We left Leeds last week 7 hours before our booked Eurotunnel train, and still missed it by over an hour... and we didn't even have to go near Dover which sounds like it's been worse!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 10, 2022, 11:06:22 pm
Quote from: Will Hunt link=topic=31835.msg658035#
Font.

Word of advice to you both around travelling to France; allow LOTS of time before your booked ferry / train. Traffic is absolute chaos at the moment with Operation Brock etc.

We left Leeds last week 7 hours before our booked Eurotunnel train, and still missed it by over an hour... and we didn't even have to go near Dover which sounds like it's been worse!

Yeah it sounds chaotic! We’re planning to stay over in Dover tomorrow night and then have a ferry Tuesday morning. Hopefully things have quietened down a little though. There’s been some horror stories about it recently!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 11, 2022, 09:38:57 am
Good knowledge, thanks. I'd thought we'd be ok on the train.
Yep, staying with Huw, family and a few others. Heading out on Friday this week having overnighted in Southend on Thursday.
I take it the traffic was along the M20 from Dartford, Nick?

Bradders

• forum hero
#4 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 11, 2022, 10:57:54 am
Good knowledge, thanks. I'd thought we'd be ok on the train.
Yep, staying with Huw, family and a few others. Heading out on Friday this week having overnighted in Southend on Thursday.
I take it the traffic was along the M20 from Dartford, Nick?

Yes, the M20 is closed East / coastbound from junction 8 at Maidstone all the way to junction 11 which is just before you get to Folkstone and the tunnel. Only way to get there was along the A20, which with all the motorway traffic on was very slow. Not to mention big queues just to leave the motorway at junction 8.

All the Dover passenger traffic is supposed to go on the M2 / A2 but obviously that's no help for the tunnel.

M20 is open Westbound. We came back last week and it was pretty eye opening; absolutely incredible number of lorries sat queuing.

Of course, it may have all been cleared up by the end of the week! I wouldn't count on it though.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#5 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 11, 2022, 11:41:45 am
Good knowledge. Google maps seems to be aware of the closure but hasn't updated its travel directions to shift onto the A20 at J8.
I wonder whether the A21, A262 etc skirting to the south might be quicker. Bit risky though.

M1V0

• addict
#6 Topic split - Dover chaos
April 11, 2022, 12:44:25 pm
Yeah it sounds chaotic! We’re planning to stay over in Dover tomorrow night and then have a ferry Tuesday morning.

I'm meant to catching the ferry on Sunday evening, can you let us know how the ferry crossing goes for you?

SamT

• forum hero
#7 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 11, 2022, 02:56:47 pm
Came back yesterday afternoon - Lorries queued on Southbound M20 still.

Had an absolute mare getting on the chunnel last week on the friday night.  M20 closure was just starting to happen, so went M2 A2, then hacked across country back on to M20.  Missed our 21.20 train, (got to the tunnel at about 21.30).  Seemed they were just putting folk on the first train, just one long snaking queue from entrace to train.   Finally boarded train at 01.30 am.   France for about 2, add an hour to the clock, 3am.. Hotel in St Quentin at 5am for a couple of hours kip before trucking on to the Alps...  very glad of the lane assist!!!    :blink:

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 11, 2022, 10:35:00 pm
Not sure if it’s just the time of day, but we’ve just got to Dover. Went via the M2 and A2 and didn’t have a single issue.

Dover is very quiet, roads were fine.

Maybe we’ll find the chaos tomorrow morning for the ferry as we’re just parked up on the prom now…

dunnyg

• forum hero
#9 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 11, 2022, 10:51:21 pm
Romantic  :wub:

James Malloch

• forum hero
#10 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 12, 2022, 09:52:00 am
Romantic  :wub:

Nothing more romantic than a pack of tortellini on the prom after peeing in a bush.

This morning was fine too. We had to get the van searched a little but were still through within 20 mins of setting off from where we parked for the night.

Bradders

• forum hero
#11 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 12, 2022, 11:13:04 am
Nice, glad it was all okay, sounds like it's calmed down a lot.

andy popp

• forum hero
#12 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 12, 2022, 01:59:30 pm
Fwiw, only took me 10-15 minutes for me to clear passport control flying into Manchester Sunday lunchtime. We’ll see what it’s like leaving tomorrow evening.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 14, 2022, 11:07:57 am
Got an tunnel crossing out to France at 7:30am tomorrow, anyone been to Folkestone in the last few days? Hard to predict the traffic based on time of day since it's the bank holiday, but the M20 has been shut so it's defo not going to be super straightforward. Any info is much appreciated  :wub:

Steve R

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 14, 2022, 10:58:11 pm
Drove to Dover today. Roads getting here fine despite M20 closure. Longest queues I've seen at the port itself though - 90 mins in now and counting. Imagine tunnel will be slicker.

Thedevonshirepiemuncher

• FFS - try harder man!!!
#15 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 07:21:46 am
Went through the tunnel Wednesday afternoon and it was almost deserted, getting to it was a delay of 50 mins due to traffic on that last stretch from the m20 closure

edshakey

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 07:29:57 am
Cheers both.

We are about to get through now - set off with the usual recommended time to spare and it's been fine. M20 contraflow rather than closure (despite what website said) and just busy at terminal, nothing too outrageous. Should be getting on our scheduled crossing. Font here we come!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#17 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 08:49:35 am
Is it contraflow all the way down the M20? We'll very soon be running the gauntlet.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 08:55:28 am
Started at J8, so we just stayed on - no need to leave. Was extremely empty for us at 6am, but obviously could see it getting busier. Hopefully you'll be through soon enough - it's definitely not as bad as the reports over the last few weeks have been.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#19 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 12:32:11 pm
M20 completely free flowing through the contraflow even at midday.

Bradders

• forum hero
#20 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 02:09:34 pm
Glad it's all cleared up for everyone. Enjoy!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 02:58:24 pm
Calais to Font 4 hours, no 3 hours!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#22 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 08:45:44 pm
Great stuff!

We did Liverpool to Folkstone in a little over 5hrs. Hardly any hassle at all!

Bradders

• forum hero
#23 Re: Topic split - Dover chaos
April 15, 2022, 09:21:32 pm
Okay now I'm starting to resent you all  >:( :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal