UKBouldering.com

Online bank recommendations (Read 1749 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Online bank recommendations
April 05, 2022, 12:07:07 pm
A piece of life admin that I've been putting off is to get our family joint account switched to a different provider. The main thing we want is for it to automatically subdivide our spending into categories so we can easily see at the end of each month where everything is going.

Not particularly bothered about loans, overdrafts, or credit cards as we don't use them.

I've been recommended Starling. Anybody able to compare with Monzo etc? Are they all just about the same or is there one that stands out?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: Online bank recommendations
April 05, 2022, 12:35:14 pm
Starling is really good. We have a joint account with them and no complaints so far. Significant improvement on my Barclays current account.

They also score very well on ethical banking metrics which was relevant to us. Monzo less good for that and they irrationally annoyed me after they wouldn't replace a lost card for free.

The subdivision seems to work well on the app so far, no complaints.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: Online bank recommendations
April 05, 2022, 01:08:55 pm
2 out of 2 is good enough for me. Cheers.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Online bank recommendations
April 05, 2022, 01:11:18 pm
I've found First Direct to be consistently good.

I'm going to open a Metro Bank account simply as they're now better than my Halifax Clarity.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#4 Re: Online bank recommendations
April 05, 2022, 01:55:46 pm
There are plenty of budgeting apps that might be worth trialling first? Money dashboard is one I've used and it assigns categories. 

As for current accounts, I just switch banks everytime a switching bonus comes up (check money saving expert website) and have made about a grand over the last few years doing that. Very little effort required.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#5 Re: Online bank recommendations
April 05, 2022, 05:02:11 pm
2 out of 2 is good enough for me. Cheers.

You do both need a personal account with them before you can open a joint account, but its not a big faff.

largeruk

• player
#6 Re: Online bank recommendations
April 05, 2022, 05:07:10 pm
You do both need a personal account with them before you can open a joint account, but its not a big faff.
Any online banks that allow you to open a joint account without also setting up two separate accounts first?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal