UKBouldering.com

#vansecurity (Read 4134 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
#25 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 09:43:29 am
Would a Ghost not be sensible for an expensive van (they all seem to be £££)?

I know I recently looked at buying a Fiesta ST and they seem to be incredibly easy to steal. The beta was a Ghost and relocate the OBD. I live somewhere pretty rural/exposed and we have issues as it is so I decided to go for something else in the end as I just don't need the hassle.

We got a ghost but had issues with it (software meant engine light kept coming on). They upgrade it which brought on a second light and in the end changed it for a Scorpion X immobiliser (same thing but different brand).

That worked until this week when I put it into service mode and it’s now stuck in that (so no immobiliser working at the moment). They’re on their way back out for the 5th time now.

I still want to keep it as when it’s working it’s great, but at the same time the fact it’s software based seems to be a pain in the arse. After sales is a bit crap but hopefully it’s works this time around.

I’m hoping this, my other bits and the fact the dog will go crazy if anyone tried to break in whilst we’re there will be enough to keep us safe…

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#26 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 10:47:54 am
Nothing you do will stop someone stealing it if they really want to. Sounds like you've taken every sensible precaution possible; don't let worrying about it ruin your trip!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 11:04:05 am

We got a ghost but had issues with it (software meant engine light kept coming on). They upgrade it which brought on a second light and in the end changed it for a Scorpion X immobiliser (same thing but different brand).

That worked until this week when I put it into service mode and it’s now stuck in that (so no immobiliser working at the moment). They’re on their way back out for the 5th time now.

Sounds like a Ghost in the Machine

Paul B

• forum hero
#28 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 03:38:13 pm
Nothing you do will stop someone stealing it if they really want to. Sounds like you've taken every sensible precaution possible; don't let worrying about it ruin your trip!

Agreed. We had someone drill out the locks on our T4 as we slept in it (which was obvious given the window foils and the pad which was propped against the outside of the passenger door).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#29 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 09:14:36 pm

Agreed. We had someone drill out the locks on our T4 as we slept in it (which was obvious given the window foils and the pad which was propped against the outside of the passenger door).

I presume you woke up / chased them off?

We just had to ditch the van full of skis etc. in a P&R on the outskirts of Milan (visiting friends, Low Emission Zone). We've got no security to speak, so we just parked under a CCTV, put the blinds up and hoped for the best. TBH, we've parked for months across Europe and never had an issue. I think there's just a big element of chance to it all.

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 09:37:25 pm
We woke up on the third lock. It really freaked me out at the time so we drove from Spain to France immediately and I hadn't slept enough. We were pretty fresh off the ferry from Mallorca.

I can remember seeing speed restrictions at a ridiculously early hour and thinking sod that to realise I'd driven through border control at full tilt.

They didn't get in btw. It took a while to get fixed so we ended up using static and a pulley system to tie the interior door handles to each other and exited via the back.

Looking back we made some pretty silly mistakes in where we chose to sleep but the motives of the break in still make me really quite uncomfortable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal