UKBouldering.com

#vansecurity (Read 4089 times)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#vansecurity
March 28, 2022, 07:45:00 pm
So after much head scratching of how our van was broken into we've finally sussed it with the help of a lass at LPT who has the same van (dispatch/expert).

https://youtube.com/shorts/nba1V5ATkr0?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/gXlMgoruZF0?feature=share

Notice the small dints. That's the tell tale sign they have used a lever to open it.

Though this might be of help to other owners of this van.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#1 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 10:39:19 am
Good knowledge Jordan - vans are absolute nightmares for break ins! I have a despatch so am gonna look into this having had my previous van stolen during lockdown #1

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#2 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 11:02:12 am

And I finished my book last night, yay!

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but are you writing a book?

Glad you got most of your stuff back.

NaoB

• player
#3 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 11:13:22 am
Ha ha, no, it was just a crime fiction novel that I was 3/4 of the way through reading. I wanted to know the ending!

I would love to write a book but that would require a great deal more time than I'm ever likely to possess....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 11:16:35 am
Ha ha, no, it was just a crime fiction novel that I was 3/4 of the way through reading. I wanted to know the ending!

Was the husband wasn't it. Or the butler...

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#5 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 11:24:02 am

....seems a happier ending than it could have been :)

I would love to write a book but that would require a great deal more time than I'm ever likely to possess....

Most authors are very busy people... don't write the idea off.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#6 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 01:47:29 pm
Good knowledge Jordan - vans are absolute nightmares for break ins! I have a despatch so am gonna look into this having had my previous van stolen during lockdown #1

Proper whack isn't it.

Just had a quote for adding 3 deadlocks and removal of those inner switches that let the van know if the doors are open.
537 GBP INC VAT.

You can add your own bought from halfords but they look a little grim

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 01:56:58 pm
bike lock round inside doorhandle :) I can't believe the design flaw makes it that easy.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#8 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 05:02:43 pm

Boom 😃

James Malloch

• forum hero
#9 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 05:09:12 pm
So after much head scratching of how our van was broken into we've finally sussed it with the help of a lass at LPT who has the same van (dispatch/expert).

https://youtube.com/shorts/nba1V5ATkr0?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/gXlMgoruZF0?feature=share

Notice the small dints. That's the tell tale sign they have used a lever to open it.

Though this might be of help to other owners of this van.

Any idea if this applies to the boxer/ducato? Wondering whether I should be fitting deadlocks too…

sdm

• forum abuser
#10 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 07:03:43 pm
I think deadlocks and other aftermarket/DIY security upgrades are worth it on any valuable van.

I don't know about that specific weakness but I know there is a lock lifting weakness on the Boxer/Relay/Ducato as well as a fuel cap weakness (might be fixed on newer models?) and the OBD port weaknesses that are common to so many modern vehicles.

I've heard that Sprinters and Transits have the worst/most commonly exploited weaknesses but a determined thief is going to be capable of getting into/stealing any van. Deadlocks/immobilisers/trackers/steering locks/wheel clamps/dummy OBD ports etc should at least prevent opportunistic thefts.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#11 Re: #vansecurity
March 29, 2022, 09:15:09 pm

Sorry to hear that. What was your previous van?

Definitely worth looking into, a friend who is a builder/gardener has just had this happen over in Accrington twice in the space of a week whilst working over there. He is total gutted by it as this time they took absolutely everything and the police don't seem to be able to do a thing.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#12 Re: #vansecurity
March 30, 2022, 09:01:54 am
Had a Ford Transit. Which are always getting stolen in Sheffield.

Will look into beefing up security when I get home from France

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: #vansecurity
March 30, 2022, 09:19:28 am

Boom 😃

Novel joke.

rosmat

• menacing presence
#14 Re: #vansecurity
March 30, 2022, 10:48:02 am

Boom 😃

Novel joke.

It was bound to happen

James Malloch

• forum hero
#15 Re: #vansecurity
March 30, 2022, 11:41:51 am
I think deadlocks and other aftermarket/DIY security upgrades are worth it on any valuable van.

I don't know about that specific weakness but I know there is a lock lifting weakness on the Boxer/Relay/Ducato as well as a fuel cap weakness (might be fixed on newer models?) and the OBD port weaknesses that are common to so many modern vehicles.

I've heard that Sprinters and Transits have the worst/most commonly exploited weaknesses but a determined thief is going to be capable of getting into/stealing any van. Deadlocks/immobilisers/trackers/steering locks/wheel clamps/dummy OBD ports etc should at least prevent opportunistic thefts.

Cheers. We have 3 of those fitted, but not deadlocks. Might be one to try and add before we go.

What’s lock lifting?

sdm

• forum abuser
#16 Re: #vansecurity
March 30, 2022, 02:07:46 pm
What’s lock lifting?
It's where they slide a flat blade under the plastic surround of the lock mechanism and lift it off to get at the lock.

You can prevent it either with deadlocks or some people replace the whole lock mechanism with one with a reinforced steel surround.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#17 Re: #vansecurity
March 30, 2022, 10:38:14 pm
It amazing all the methods you start to become aware of.

Has anyone had an alarm fitted?

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#18 Re: #vansecurity
March 31, 2022, 09:44:11 am
This is a good YouTube channel for van security:
https://www.youtube.com/user/sussexinstallations

My view on van security is; I just want to be in a position that my van doesn't get stolen. Therefore just about to change the lock mechanism on my custom and put a lock or reroute the OBD.

I am not convinced about the value of deadlocks (other than maybe a deterrent), especially if you have a side window. Surely if you have opportunistic thief, they will just  put a brick through the window. If you are going to leave valuables in your van, either get a bolt in safe, or take it with you?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#19 Re: #vansecurity
March 31, 2022, 10:04:25 am
This is a good YouTube channel for van security:
https://www.youtube.com/user/sussexinstallations

My view on van security is; I just want to be in a position that my van doesn't get stolen. Therefore just about to change the lock mechanism on my custom and put a lock or reroute the OBD.

I am not convinced about the value of deadlocks (other than maybe a deterrent), especially if you have a side window. Surely if you have opportunistic thief, they will just  put a brick through the window. If you are going to leave valuables in your van, either get a bolt in safe, or take it with you?

Think deadlocks are of more use for a Transit type van which has tools in the back almost permanently and where the bulkhead is in situ. As you say, if someone really wants to get into the back of a climbers van and theres no bulkhead, they'll get in through the window.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#20 Re: #vansecurity
March 31, 2022, 10:25:52 am
As added security when surfing (I usually conceal the electronic key on the van somewhere) I have an old fashioned steering lock, and hide the key for that well inside the van (i used to stash it in the pocket on my leash, but it's starting to rust). I know it's not infallible, but an extra layer. I've also got a locking plate fitted under the passenger seat to lock valuables away. No doubt it could also be broken with a big enough crowbar, but as I said, layers..

gme

• forum hero
#21 Re: #vansecurity
March 31, 2022, 10:56:19 am
My business has a huge issue with van break ins and despite spending thousands on every type of device and lock on the market we still get 2 or 3 a month. I don't think there is anything you can do to stop break ins once the thief has decided to target your van.

As all the tools and stuff of value are locked inside big metal boxes in the back that are welded or bolted to the floor they never actually steal anything but generally have caused damage to the doors that runs into £1000s at times. We are actually thinking about not putting deadlocks on the vans as the harder they are to get in the more damage is done and the higher the cost to repair.
Old fashioned steering locks are best to stop them stealing the van and a safe or lockbox inside for your stuff. In France in the 90s we used to just leave our van, open and take the HT lead off the distributor cap as we were sick of replacing windows.

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: #vansecurity
March 31, 2022, 10:31:45 pm
Would a Ghost not be sensible for an expensive van (they all seem to be £££)?

I know I recently looked at buying a Fiesta ST and they seem to be incredibly easy to steal. The beta was a Ghost and relocate the OBD. I live somewhere pretty rural/exposed and we have issues as it is so I decided to go for something else in the end as I just don't need the hassle.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#23 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 08:47:32 am

so I decided to go for something else in the end as I just don't need the hassle.

yeah no ones going to steal a fiat!  :whistle: :tease:

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 09:22:58 am
It's an Abarth. More on point, the OEM head unit effectively has a tracker built in. I couldn't use the head unit on it until the previous owner had relinquished control.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#25 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 09:43:29 am

I know I recently looked at buying a Fiesta ST and they seem to be incredibly easy to steal. The beta was a Ghost and relocate the OBD. I live somewhere pretty rural/exposed and we have issues as it is so I decided to go for something else in the end as I just don't need the hassle.

We got a ghost but had issues with it (software meant engine light kept coming on). They upgrade it which brought on a second light and in the end changed it for a Scorpion X immobiliser (same thing but different brand).

That worked until this week when I put it into service mode and it’s now stuck in that (so no immobiliser working at the moment). They’re on their way back out for the 5th time now.

I still want to keep it as when it’s working it’s great, but at the same time the fact it’s software based seems to be a pain in the arse. After sales is a bit crap but hopefully it’s works this time around.

I’m hoping this, my other bits and the fact the dog will go crazy if anyone tried to break in whilst we’re there will be enough to keep us safe…

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#26 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 10:47:54 am
Nothing you do will stop someone stealing it if they really want to. Sounds like you've taken every sensible precaution possible; don't let worrying about it ruin your trip!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#27 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 11:04:05 am

We got a ghost but had issues with it (software meant engine light kept coming on). They upgrade it which brought on a second light and in the end changed it for a Scorpion X immobiliser (same thing but different brand).

That worked until this week when I put it into service mode and it’s now stuck in that (so no immobiliser working at the moment). They’re on their way back out for the 5th time now.

Sounds like a Ghost in the Machine

Paul B

• forum hero
#28 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 03:38:13 pm
Nothing you do will stop someone stealing it if they really want to. Sounds like you've taken every sensible precaution possible; don't let worrying about it ruin your trip!

Agreed. We had someone drill out the locks on our T4 as we slept in it (which was obvious given the window foils and the pad which was propped against the outside of the passenger door).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#29 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 09:14:36 pm

Agreed. We had someone drill out the locks on our T4 as we slept in it (which was obvious given the window foils and the pad which was propped against the outside of the passenger door).

I presume you woke up / chased them off?

We just had to ditch the van full of skis etc. in a P&R on the outskirts of Milan (visiting friends, Low Emission Zone). We've got no security to speak, so we just parked under a CCTV, put the blinds up and hoped for the best. TBH, we've parked for months across Europe and never had an issue. I think there's just a big element of chance to it all.

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: #vansecurity
April 01, 2022, 09:37:25 pm
We woke up on the third lock. It really freaked me out at the time so we drove from Spain to France immediately and I hadn't slept enough. We were pretty fresh off the ferry from Mallorca.

I can remember seeing speed restrictions at a ridiculously early hour and thinking sod that to realise I'd driven through border control at full tilt.

They didn't get in btw. It took a while to get fixed so we ended up using static and a pulley system to tie the interior door handles to each other and exited via the back.

Looking back we made some pretty silly mistakes in where we chose to sleep but the motives of the break in still make me really quite uncomfortable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal