places to visit > competitions

Live World Cup and World Champs. no longer free-to-view

<< < (2/16) > >>

Duma:

--- Quote from: edshakey on March 25, 2022, 12:38:39 pm ---I think this is just as bad an idea as it was 5 years ago, but somehow seems more inevitable this time round. I'm not fully convinced this will lead to increased engagement though, unless they are showing it on Eurosport 1 or 2 - in that case, it is a very large audience and maybe there will be lots of new viewers each time round for a comp. But if it's hidden amongst who knows what other crap on an app somewhere, there's no way this can be beneficial for the sport.
I'm sure the IFSC can come up with countless reasons why this is good, but I personally only see it as a sad outcome that we can no longer watch live, free competitions. Comp climbing is still a young sport - don't want to kill it off too early!

--- End quote ---
Agree - I cant see how this will fit into the schedules on the main channels - Comps take hours, and are mostly on at weekends in the afternoon/evening, i.e. when lots of other sport is on. Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being only the finals of the comps that don't clash with anything (ie at antisocial times) being shown live on the main channels, and everything else being on the app.

edshakey:
Looks like it'll still be free outside of Europe. Sounds like a major flaw on the IFSC's part, much easier to get around this way. I'm still hopefully for a U turn but given how large the deal probably is, it seems a bit unlikely.

Durbs:
I'm guessing this ties in to Shauna's recent post, and not seen any athletes come out in support of this - which they would if it was actually good for them.

Without knowing the financials, I'm always slightly surprised over-caffeinated sugary drink company haven't stepped into the ring to host comps. They sponsor some climbers, have made some features, but no actual events AFAIK? (There was that odd bridge climbing thing a while back, but I can't recall any "proper" comps"?).

Perhaps the audience isn't there.

webbo:
The over-caffeinated sugary drink company used to broadcast the Mountainbike world cups but they have also been bought out by Discovery/ Eurosport/GCN.

Durbs:

--- Quote from: webbo on March 28, 2022, 09:20:23 am ---The over-caffeinated sugary drink company used to broadcast the Mountainbike world cups but they have also been bought out by Discovery/ Eurosport/GCN.

--- End quote ---

So I just read, a real shame! I'm assuming this won't affect the one off events like Hardline or Rampage, just the WC circuit?
I don't follow MTB at all beyond YouTube events - was the news equally badly received?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version