places to visit > competitions

Live World Cup and World Champs. no longer free-to-view

(1/16) > >>

duncan:
The IFSC has sold viewing rights for all IFSC World Cup and World Championship events to discovery+ and Eurosport.   £7 a month.  Seems like five years after Merigen 2017 they're having another go.

“More than anything, our agreement with Discovery will raise the profile of our sport and our athletes, which should result in greater sponsorship opportunities for all climbers around the world,” said IFSC President Marco Scolaris. “We are confident that partnering with Discovery will help solidify our position as one of the fastest-growing Olympic sports and, thanks to the greater exposure, will lead more and more people to become interested in not only watching Climbing, but also trying it out.”

Davo:
Well that is the end of me watching them! I really don’t think this is a good move but maybe it will work out for them?

Seems like the opposite to surfing where all the comps are free to view

Duma:
Sounds like will still be available for free on 24hr delay.

Be interesting to know how much they sold the rights for and where that money's going, as I don't see how restricting access to the livestream increases exposure or sponsorship opportunities.

edshakey:
I think this is just as bad an idea as it was 5 years ago, but somehow seems more inevitable this time round. I'm not fully convinced this will lead to increased engagement though, unless they are showing it on Eurosport 1 or 2 - in that case, it is a very large audience and maybe there will be lots of new viewers each time round for a comp. But if it's hidden amongst who knows what other crap on an app somewhere, there's no way this can be beneficial for the sport.

Should note that it does mention they'll be free to stream on The Olympic Channel 24 hrs later (edit: just seen yours Duma), but that's little consolation really. I also find it incredible that they manage to make these announcements at the eleventh hour, right before the season opener - what's the reasoning? Trying to sneak it in to avoid scrutiny? Or just a very last minute deal is being, with the same timing as the last time they pulled this trick.

I'm sure the IFSC can come up with countless reasons why this is good, but I personally only see it as a sad outcome that we can no longer watch live, free competitions. Comp climbing is still a young sport - don't want to kill it off too early!

duncan:

--- Quote from: Duma on March 25, 2022, 12:27:10 pm ---Sounds like will still be available for free on 24hr delay.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Duma, I'd missed that bit. Edited subject to clarify.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version