UKBouldering.com

[Sheffield] [Wyming Brook] [7a+ Ish] (Read 7289 times)

mark20

• junky
Any deets on the foot wizardry Mark? How tall is Matt?
He's quite short.
From the bridged position in the middle, RH to small sidepull above the good crimp, LH thumb pressing something, LF at the top of the flake thing where RF is, then really high step for RF to vague smeary spike (I couldn't do this at all). Press LH out to get stood on the RF, and LF up to a pebble. LH to the big sidepull. RH high crimp (if you can reach- Matt used a small pebble) weight LF and get RF on the good crimp and reach top.

Full video on my OnlyFans

BAndy

• player
Did you try my new highball arete just up the bank? I'll send you a pic. Good 7a+.

Is this the arete on the bit of rock right of Dumbo's Ringpiece/The Man In The Woods? I tried it today and thought it was (a) excellent and (b) hard/reachy. It took me a while to get to the crimp rail and I promptly fell off going for the sidepull below the break. Definitely one to go back for.

BAndy

• player
Did you try my new highball arete just up the bank? I'll send you a pic. Good 7a+.

I also meant to ask how you started it. I was trying it fully on the right side starting with my right hand in a small pocket. There was chalk on a left-hand start.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Yeah, that's the one. Cheers.
I started up the arete, using some holds round left to reach a thin crimpy break on the arete, then up to the crimps on the front face with rh and then go for the sidepull. There's a possible line up the wall in the gully from these start holds (did the moves on a rope) but it's harder than going up the arete, so the sequence I used seemed the line of least resistance to me. The start you were trying (which is the start of Ned's 7c prob up the wall) would make a good alternative start to the arete. I expect it might push the grade up a notch.

BAndy

• player
I tried your start at the end and got to the crimps on the face but had already run out of skin. The wall without the arete looks very hard!

Has something been done on the arete of the overhanging block to the left? UKC has this logged through the middle but the arete is cleaner than in the photo.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/wyming_brook-889/to_pull_or_not_to_pull-575097

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The wall takes the sidepull as a gaston. I think the top holds might need recleaning.
Nothing other than that prob on UKC. Hard proj.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Any deets on the foot wizardry Mark? How tall is Matt?
He's quite short.
From the bridged position in the middle, RH to small sidepull above the good crimp, LH thumb pressing something, LF at the top of the flake thing where RF is, then really high step for RF to vague smeary spike (I couldn't do this at all). Press LH out to get stood on the RF, and LF up to a pebble. LH to the big sidepull. RH high crimp (if you can reach- Matt used a small pebble) weight LF and get RF on the good crimp and reach top.

Full video on my OnlyFans

I repeated this when it was a bit cooler. Meant to post here for beta. I couldn't do it the way Matt did but figured out this more manageable way, for me.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
UKC has this logged through the middle but the arete is cleaner than in the photo.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/wyming_brook-889/to_pull_or_not_to_pull-575097

This is my problem. I tried to climb it without the obvious block, but it was too hard for. So I looked at this line and cleaned it then sent it.
It’s easy but lots of fun. You can find on YouTube

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Yeah, that's the one. Cheers.
I started up the arete, using some holds round left to reach a thin crimpy break on the arete, then up to the crimps on the front face with rh and then go for the sidepull. There's a possible line up the wall in the gully from these start holds (did the moves on a rope) but it's harder than going up the arete, so the sequence I used seemed the line of least resistance to me. The start you were trying (which is the start of Ned's 7c prob up the wall) would make a good alternative start to the arete. I expect it might push the grade up a notch.

I cleaned up that section of rock during March/April 2020 then realised how hard it’d be.
I did manage to do the sit start up to the 2 finger pocket then traversed out left to the arête. The original plan was then to continue up the arête using a crimp edge on the right face as well. Then gaining the high break. Then over the top.

I tried the arête on its own but the mid section felt desperate & the block below provided some worry even with a pad on it.
The slab in gully was done on a fixed line, but I never bothered going back to it. Really dirty & damp.

A long while later, Jim Pope then showed me a clip of Ned cruising directly up the face.  :o

In regards to another topic- I spent ages cleaning these lines. 2 sessions just digging out the top out, a bout 3 days of scrubbing away the dirt & moss on abseil armed with spray water bottles and brushes . More effort than routes that I’ve bolted.

But I’ve always known that someone else could do it before me. I have always accepted this risk as it’s normal ethics in cleaning up boulder problems.

Personally, while I did not complete the line as I had dreamed, I enjoyed my time cleaning.
So seeing & hearing about others doing it is great. 

Nice one Bonjoy & Ned.
Bonjoy - have you got footage of your send, I’d be keen to see how it eventually went.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:32:56 am by Aussiegav »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal