UKBouldering.com

Moon Saturn: Zip (Read 2265 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 07:02:34 pm
The zip on my Saturn won't close anymore. Anyone had this issue and either repaired it themselves or had someone else do it?

I'm thinking a very heavy duty thread could work to sew it up, or can try and make the zip work again. It just isn't closing the two sides of the zip, and I don't think a replacement will be easy.

Ideas welcome, cheers!

205Chris

• forum hero
#1 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 07:11:35 pm
Alpkit repair station might be able to do something? Either a replacement zip or sew on some velcro?

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 07:22:52 pm
Haven't got a moon pad so struggling to visualise, is this the zip that keeps the foam in?

I've got an ocun dominator which has a zip that connects the two halves of the pad together. The zip pulled apart so I gave it to my sister (https://www.hk-madeinsheffield.co.uk/) who used some heavy thread to sew the zip permanently closed. Worked well, been using the pad for for a year since she repaired it and it's still going strong with the repair holding up well. TBH Im surprised the repair has lasted as well as it has, that part of the pad gets a lot of abuse so I thought it'd be a more temporary fix.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 07:32:04 pm
Yeah, it's the zip that keeps the foam in. Thanks for the reminder, Hebe did a great job patching my trousers last year! I'll drop her and Alpkit a message to see if that might be an option. It seems like. It should. Work but cause its a taco pad there's very little play in the fabric of the pad so imagine it would be under a lot of strain.

205Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 07:56:00 pm
Yeah, it's the zip that keeps the foam in. Thanks for the reminder, Hebe did a great job patching my trousers last year! I'll drop her and Alpkit a message to see if that might be an option. It seems like. It should. Work but cause its a taco pad there's very little play in the fabric of the pad so imagine it would be under a lot of strain.

I know what you mean but presumably someone with the right skills could stitch an extra patch of fabric in before replacing the zip so the joint isn't under as much strain?

HebeKnowles

#5 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 09:02:21 pm
 :chair:hey, Hebe here! I acctually just did a zip replacement on a pad and I thought it turned out pretty well! Although the guy I did it for hasn't re-stuffed and used his pad yet.. but it looked the part.

£40 +p&p or free drop off/collection for a zip replacement. hebeknowles@googlemail.com or via my website www.hk-madeinsheffield.co.uk.

Cheers for the kind words everyone! Even if my brother is biased!

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#6 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 09:17:40 pm
Stick it together with an epoxy resin for a cheap and strong solution?

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 13, 2022, 09:55:06 pm
Just had a pad repaired by a guy in Leeds. This is his Instagram.

https://instagram.com/six5machineworks?utm_medium=copy_link

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#8 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 15, 2022, 01:04:41 pm
Thanks all. Will make do until I start sport climbing again and then get it sorted. Hope the info and recommendations are useful for somebody in the meantime!

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 15, 2022, 01:09:29 pm
I've also used LSR:
https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/

They replaced the zip on my DMM flight. At the time it didn't seem overly good value (compared to the value of the bag itself) but it's still holding strong and I'm guessing £ isn't the only reason people are opting to repair things.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#10 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 15, 2022, 02:03:37 pm
Thanks all. Will make do until I start sport climbing again and then get it sorted. Hope the info and recommendations are useful for somebody in the meantime!

The guy in leeds is heading off on a long trip in 4/5 weeks I think. His turn around for me was 3/4 days, just in case that was the easiest option.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#11 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
March 15, 2022, 02:04:16 pm
Theres no real reason to repair the pad, it doesn't impact on performance or utility at all, but its a bit of a pain having thr foam sticking out all the time. I am tempted just to glue it together with the resin but might be a) messy and b) very tricky to implement given the zip isnt actually closing.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#12 Re: Moon Saturn: Zip
December 05, 2022, 01:48:36 pm
:chair:hey, Hebe here! I acctually just did a zip replacement on a pad and I thought it turned out pretty well! Although the guy I did it for hasn't re-stuffed and used his pad yet.. but it looked the part.

£40 +p&p or free drop off/collection for a zip replacement. hebeknowles@googlemail.com or via my website www.hk-madeinsheffield.co.uk.

Cheers for the kind words everyone! Even if my brother is biased!

Just to flag I finally got around to dropping the pad off with Hebe and the job shes done replacing the zip is superb; highly recommended!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal