Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 01:12:40 pm
***15% off pre-orders!***
https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/eshop/guidebook-store-frcc-new.php?pub=Wired

After 6 years of work by a team of over 100 dedicated local volunteers, the long-awaited Northern Rock is here! 608 pages filled to bursting with the best trad, sport and bouldering that Yorkshire Grit, Yorkshire Limestone, Northumberland, Lancashire and the North York Moors have to offer.

The latest in the series from Wired Guides, Northern Rock assembles the expertise of the local activists behind each area’s definitive guides to bring you beautiful selective coverage. All of the familiar stomping grounds are included among the book’s 63 crags: Almscliff, Brimham, Malham, Giggleswick, Wilton, Anglezarke, Scugdale, Great Wanney and the Bowdens. The guide also showcases some of the quieter spots – the windswept majesty of Callerhues, the adventurous chasms of Strans and Crook Gill, and the recently revamped Egerton Quarry among them.

Lindsay McMorran on Dental Slab. Photo: Ben Gillespie

Northern Rock champions multi-disciplinary climbing. There are heaps of trad and sport climbs within its pages but those who prefer pad to trad will not be wanting, with the world-class circuits of Caley, Slipstones and Kyloe in the Woods being just a few of the bouldering spots given detailed coverage.

Each crag is documented with beautiful topos, super-accurate maps and stunning action photos that will get you psyched like you've never been before! Clear, detailed approach descriptions will lead you to the crag without getting lost; easy-to-use symbols provide buttress and boulder-specific information on conditions (such as aspect, seepage and whether climbs stay dry in the rain), allowing you to get the most out of a day’s climbing. For those who love a list there are the Little Gems to work through (a tenner to the first person to complete them all!) and, in case it rains, then yes! There is a history section!

Al Horsfield on God Lives Underwater, Johanna Malle on Great Chimney at Crag Lough. Photo: Mark Savage

Wired Guides
Wired Guides are published by a co-operative of UK definitive guidebook publishers including: the British Mountaineering Council; The Climbers’ Club; the Fell & Rock Climbing Club; the Northumbrian Mountaineering Club; the Scottish Mountaineering Club; and the Yorkshire Mountaineering Club. Wired guidebooks bring you the accuracy and depth of knowledge found in definitive guidebooks in a familiar, easy-to-use select guide format.

Profits from Wired books directly contribute to maintaining our crags, access, and sport. When you buy a Wired guide you are supporting projects that benefit the whole climbing community. For example:
• The Yorkshire Mountaineering Club contributed to the upgrade of the Almscliff path and to the repair of the damaged Rylstone monument.
• The Northumbrian Mountaineering Club is leading the clear-up of Storm Arwen damage at several County crags, paying for chainsaw operators to tidy away wind-felled trees.
• When arriving on Lundy, repairs to the concrete road from the landing jetty were part-funded from The Climbers’ Club’s Colin Kirkus Guidebook Fund.
• Alongside commitments to protect access such as owning and managing three of the crags in this book (Wilton One, Craig y Longridge and Crookrise), when ascending Mam Tor’s Great Ridge one is stepping on work funded by the BMC’s Mend our Mountains campaign.
• The Fell & Rock Climbing Club’s Access and Conservation Fund actively supports projects
including Fix the Fells and the John Muir Trust.

Harry Brook-Dobson on Layback at Attermire. Photo: Ben Gillespie

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:22:21 pm by duncan »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 01:13:46 pm
If anybody wants to ask a question about the book, Wired, or guidebooks and the making of them in general then fire away (cue the tumbleweed).

36chambers

• forum hero
#2 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 01:39:11 pm
What grade did The Keel get?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 01:43:55 pm

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 02:31:22 pm
What were the most contentious crags left in/out? Must have been like a game of thrones scene getting an agreement across all that! Did you have to chop any fingers off to maintain order in the pub/ranks?

That is a magic shot of Dental Slab  :clap2:

Bradders

• forum hero
#5 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 02:42:28 pm

It's a select guide, so surely wouldn't be included.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 02:59:42 pm

Agree, belter. I must have been to Rylstone close to a dozen times and have done it every time I've been, either lead, second or solo, and it's always a joy.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 03:06:35 pm
Not a bad shot of Attermire either!

Really keen to get my copy of this. I swear this year will be the one where I actually make it to Rylstone  :lol:.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#8 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 03:27:02 pm

It's a select guide, so surely wouldn't be included.
Very good  :clap2:

grimer

• forum hero
#9 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 04:04:35 pm
Looks amazing. Congratulations Will and team!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#10 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 04:30:38 pm
The Dental Slab photo is one of my favourites. Such a beautiful climb and such a gorgeous evening and it turned out just as I'd thought it might.
The photographer, Ben, is a work colleague (and climber) and we'd talked about getting some drone shots. Rylstone faces north-west so only really gets the sun in the late afternoon and evening. All through June and the start of July that year I was looking at the weather and trying to get an evening when I could get up there with Ben and some willing subjects.
One evening it came together and we started off on Monument Crack (I wanted a shot from the air of someone climbing Monument Crack with the cross in view on top - that one's also in the book) before moving onto Dental Slab as the light was turning golden.

This was to be Lindsay's first onsight of a Severe and we had to give her a little pep talk to help her over the nerves first. She got on and crusied up the first bit but then started to stall towards the top - where she is in the photo there was lots of upping and downing. James and I are stood behind the big triangular boulder in the photo shouting encouragement and eventually she summoned her courage and topped out - a really fantastic moment.

Alex, I'll answer you but I'll have to think a bit more first!

Dolly

• forum hero
#11 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 04:43:01 pm
Lovely pic
The link doesn’t seem to work Will. Or there’s an error on the linked page ?

dunnyg

• forum hero
#12 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 05:01:46 pm
If I buy a copy will you highlight all the downgrades for me?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 05:09:33 pm
Looks great! If you're a soft southern jessie and only an intermittent visitor north of The Peak this is probably the only guide you need.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:22:53 pm by duncan »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#14 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 05:17:36 pm
Sorry for the link faff. It seems there's been an issue with the CC website today.
This one will work and is a bit more smart-phone friendly than the Wired website. This looks like a CC link but will still work.
(Please could a mod update my OP with this link?)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 05:23:04 pm
I swear this year will be the one where I actually make it to Rylstone  :lol:.

Some people (me included) think this is criminal negligence. Plan a whole day up there, take a pad for the highballs / micros at the Monument end. Funny how I used to think it was a committing walk in until I moved to Scotland.

remus

• forum hero
#16 Re: Northern Rock
March 11, 2022, 05:30:03 pm

Just look for the 'reachy' symbol.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#17 Re: Northern Rock
March 12, 2022, 10:50:13 am

Bet there aren’t any

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#18 Re: Northern Rock
March 12, 2022, 12:04:58 pm

Bet there aren’t any

The ‘reachy’ symbol has been replaced by a picture of a garden gnome to denote ‘easier for the short’.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#19 Re: Northern Rock
March 12, 2022, 06:38:24 pm
What were the most contentious crags left in/out? Must have been like a game of thrones scene getting an agreement across all that! Did you have to chop any fingers off to maintain order in the pub/ranks?

Getting the coverage right was hard. You can't include everything and the line has to be drawn somewhere, but I was very conscious that if it was too sparse then we'd end up with something where people ran out of stuff to do at any particular crag too quickly.

We started with the idea that the guide would be 500 pages, but this isn't a book that's been produced around an RRP or unit cost or an ultra-strict budget - the main thing was always just to make the very  best book possible. So in the end we needed to go up to 600 pages to make sure that each area stood up on its own two feet as something that would keep visitors to each area going for a long time. The Lancashire and Northumberland sections will be enough for me for a long long time! The exception is the North York Moors which is a really small section - the idea there is to give people a few quick hits if they're traveling up and down the A1. If you wanted to climb properly in the NYM you'd want Franco's book.

I'm particularly pleased with the limestone. I don't want to dwell on what we don't cover (Blue Scar is an obvious omission, but given that so few people actually go it just wouldn't have pulled it's weight) but I think that our guide is the best for the area, even for locals. There are a few esoteric spots that we don't include, but the increased accuracy on what we do cover is well worth it. Crags written up by Nez, Dave M, Paul Clarke etc - often the people who put the bolts in in the first place - and hard venues checked over by people like Dunning, Ibbo, and Jon Freeman who have actually done the routes. Getting that sort of input helped clear up a number of really important things (and there was some amusing back and forth in the proof comments on Kilnsey).

I wouldn't say we had arguments (others may disagree  :ang:) but we did have lots and lots of discussion. We'd originally planned to have less Northumberland and more Lancs but this organically changed until they had an equal number of pages. Les envisioned having lots more Lancs crags with less coverage at each but, after some long conversations going late into the night, in which we went through near enough the whole Brick MkII, we turned this into the selection that's there now, which gives a good account of the best stuff but also manages to include places like Egerton.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 06:49:48 pm by Will Hunt »

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
#20 Re: Northern Rock
March 14, 2022, 09:50:49 pm
Nice one. The limestone coverage does look mint! Hopefully this can be the insparation to finally take a rope down to Dib Scar. And drag younger siblings up those gills in the summer  ;D

Thats some dedication to holes in the ground by the Lancs team. Admirable. Very admirable.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#21 Re: Northern Rock
March 14, 2022, 09:57:52 pm
I've not climbed on any of the bits in the guide apart from Northumberland for about 6 years, but I feel I need to own it anyway. Good work everyone involved.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
#22 Re: Northern Rock
March 15, 2022, 02:08:28 pm
Looks great, looking forward to getting it. Will be a useful guide for many I'm sure (myself included). Great work Will et al.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#23 Re: Northern Rock
March 15, 2022, 03:22:54 pm
Sorry for the link faff. It seems there's been an issue with the CC website today.
This one will work and is a bit more smart-phone friendly than the Wired website. This looks like a CC link but will still work.
(Please could a mod update my OP with this link?)

+1 on the Dental slab shot, fantastic.
Pre-ordered, looking forward to getting it.
That's an ambitious quantity and spread of crags Will, good effort to you and the team, although why you left out W4 is beyond me  ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#24 Re: Northern Rock
March 16, 2022, 10:06:37 am
Thanks guys. I hope you enjoy it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal