UKBouldering.com

Burl (Read 5858 times)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
Burl
March 08, 2022, 11:53:13 am
OK, so I'm after a bit of advice regarding burl. I need some.

For a few years I've been banging my head against a problem in Torridon called Potential Seven. Its a short steep squeezy prow, ending with a big lunge to a glorious jug. I'd hoped it would be a fairly quick tick but I've never even done that last big move in isolation. I've seen and tried various different methods and I've got very close with a very basic lunge/jump. If I had about 5cm longer reach I reckon I'd have done it. So having ruled out the various other methods with feet/heels/toes in various places I think it's just going to be a matter of being able to lunge a tiny bit further off shitty feet under the roof.

So I'm after advice on how to improve that kind of steep, shouldery, squeezy, slappy burl. I'm pretty sure a steep board (45degrees or more) would be useful, but I don't have regular access to one of them. I do have a 35degree board, fingerboard and small 4 rung campus board. I was thinking that campusing problems on my board would be a start, but keen to hear any other ideas. General strength/conditioning stuff perhaps?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#1 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 12:10:12 pm
I used to have a similar lack of burl.

Steep board climbing is the answer. I know 40 degrees is sufficient. it's going to get harder down at 30 degrees but possible. Can you get some awful slopey footholds on there? and set BIG moves. When you get to a wall get on the steep and roof problems.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#2 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 01:07:37 pm
Ah yeah, I've got a few of those wee wooden dome feet on my board but have been pretty bad at using them, mainly cos they were desperate! I'll try again...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 01:30:20 pm
In terms of general conditioning stuff, I think pull ups focussing on speed on the pull then a slow negative are good for generating the sort of power you want for slappy moves. No more than 5 in a set, adding weight if that gets too easy.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 02:00:24 pm
Likewise Gaz i have always found Pot 7 to be desperate.

I have a handy hanging arete on my wall if you want to pop up a replica and work the moves :)

36chambers

• forum hero
#5 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 02:18:29 pm
If your board has a good selection of pinches, you could try climbing them without using your thumbs and with as little foot technique as possible. That's my favourite way of having a burly board szech.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 02:27:45 pm
...and with as little foot technique as possible.....

I've been using this approach for years, but it doesn't seem to lead to any major gainz  :whistle:

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 03:47:23 pm
Steep board climbing is the answer. I know 40 degrees is sufficient. it's going to get harder down at 30 degrees but possible. Can you get some awful slopey footholds on there? and set BIG moves.

When you end up doing that, let's say on a BM board you might as well be campussing IMO.

Touches would be good:
1-4L-1-4R-1-4L-1-4R-1 etc.
and
1-4R-3R-4R-3R-4R-3R-4R then repeat for the L.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#8 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 06:05:13 pm
Thanks all. I'll get stuck into a bit of all that and report back on progress.
Alternatively, maybe I could gain those 5cm on a rack. Anyone got one?

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 07:11:03 pm
Thanks all. I'll get stuck into a bit of all that and report back on progress.
Alternatively, maybe I could gain those 5cm on a rack. Anyone got one?

Didn't Gresh say he had to do loads of stretching to get the span for Equilibrium?

https://www.neilgresham.com/climbing/selected-repeats

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#10 Re: Burl
March 08, 2022, 09:24:46 pm
Bench press, rows... etc?

And eat more protein.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#11 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 08:11:38 am
Bench press, rows... etc?

And eat more protein.

While steep board climbing would likely be better, I reckon these would be the best 2 non climbing exercises for burl. If you can bench and row 1.5 times your bodyweight then you can automatically do all the supposedly more climbing specific exercises like T's on TRX, explosive pullups or muscle ups, etc. Probably way before reaching 1.5x actually. You wouldn't be found wanting more body strength at this point.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 09:28:28 am
Rebuild the board to make it adjustable angle? Could be a good solution.

On another note I've been meaning to add a bunch of bigger sloping holds to my board because I'm also poor on this sort of terrain. Is wood or resin better for this? 

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 10:16:08 am
Another advocate for steep board climbing. Also follow the Malc guide for getting strong, it really helped me with burl

remus

• forum hero
#14 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 10:34:18 am
On another note I've been meaning to add a bunch of bigger sloping holds to my board because I'm also poor on this sort of terrain. Is wood or resin better for this?

Purely anecdotal but I prefer resin because the holds feel closer to slopers you get outside. I find wood a bit too slippy so by the time you end up making a usable sloper the shape is pretty different to what I tend to find outdoors (i.e. wrist position and how you hold it is all different). No idea whether this has made me any better at actually climbing on slopers outdoors.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 10:54:59 am
I've got wood (home made half domes) and resin (mostly Holdz) and i much prefer the resin, as per remus above. Lack of friction means you don't hold them like you would hold slopers outdoors.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 10:59:16 am
Lots of pointless advocates for steep boards!

Have you got access to any burly bouldering?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#17 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 11:10:19 am
While steep board climbing would likely be better, I reckon these would be the best 2 non climbing exercises for burl. If you can bench and row 1.5 times your bodyweight then you can automatically do all the supposedly more climbing specific exercises like T's on TRX, explosive pullups or muscle ups, etc. Probably way before reaching 1.5x actually. You wouldn't be found wanting more body strength at this point.
I don't think that's always true, based on my own experience. Bench feels like one of my stronger lifts, and although I can only do 1xBW, I can do that pretty consistently when everything else is ailing, and seeing previous comments on here, that's more than some much stronger boulderers can do. Equally, rows always feel comfortable when elbows allow, and the climbing coach I saw underestimated my max dumbbell rows by about 30% based on the rest of my abilities. BUT the concept of ever having "burl" (including the tests you mentioned) is so far beyond me it seems almost mythological.

I suspect the issue is, mundanely and inevitably, power-to-weight ratio, as it always is. Those lifts are all very well because they're irrespective of body weight, but the climbing or muscle-up burl isn't. OTOH they're both fun exercises, and work antagonists and directly-related-to-climbing muscles respectively so well worth doing if not a miracle cure for everyone.

Good ol' JB. Gaz lives in the Highlands so he's got to rely on that 2 week gap between Rainy Season and Midge Death Season, and miraculously not having dad duties in that time.

Ayck, who are we kidding, WHAT gap between Rainy Season and Midge Death Season??

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 11:12:13 am
(Quote fail)

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#19 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 11:14:27 am
Climbing problems on a less steep board wrong handed (ie like Oppotrocity!) will make them feel steeper and work your shoulders and pulling power more. Trying to set things that actually force mad crossovers is also a good challenge.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 11:15:26 am

What, like the sort you find on a steep board?  ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#21 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 11:18:52 am
No, he said he hasn't got one. I mean actual bouldering, or at least something 3-D you can actually wrap your arms around.

You can clearly gain a certain sort of strength on steep boards but my experience has always been the expected gainz on real rock aren't so obvious. I guess as far as technique goes, power corrupts.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#22 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 11:40:20 am
Fiend's got it I'm afraid JB.  As much as I'd love to be able to improve through real climbing I get out so rarely that I'm looking at options I can do from home while the bairns are snoring.

Thanks again everyone for the input.  I'll be on the board tonight with some freshly rearranged wooden domes for my feet.  It's fair to say most of my problems on the board tend to focus on snatchy moves with smaller holds on small but OK feet, so I'll start setting problems with big moves on bigger holds but shitter feet.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 12:29:17 pm

Ayck, who are we kidding, WHAT gap between Rainy Season and Midge Death Season??
[/quote]
Aye, that gap has been filled by NC500 Twat season.
And Fiend, you old curmudgeon, it's been dry here since...ooooh... Saturday.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#24 Re: Burl
March 09, 2022, 03:14:08 pm
For myself ( when fully functional) the increase in burl requires a substantial amount of work in the lower core to improve the hand-foot connection.
This is relatively simple to drill on a 35° ( or less) board by the following:
1) activate the core ; dishes, happy/angry cat, mini superman's on your knees etc.
2) select two absolutely shite footholds at the bottom of the wall. These should be so shite that you can only comfortably weight them by pasting and hanging of straight arms out from the board.
3) weight the footholds in this position, engaged the core like grim death and clawing like an alley cat,pull in with the arms so your body plank like comes into the board.
This should result in your feet pinging off.
Repeat until the point your feet ping is closer to the wall.
Closer you get, the better the hand foot connection, the more you can throw your whole body into the move

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal