UKBouldering.com

Eccentrics (for rehab) are over prescribed (Read 2059 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Eccentrics (for rehab) are over prescribed
February 26, 2022, 01:06:51 pm
Insta post from Tyler Nelson c4hp.

www.instagram.com/p/CaalouHOpfK

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Interesting he talks about damage in the wrist from extension- I gave up bending the wrist more than a few degrees beyond horizontal some time ago for that reason. Aren’t eccentrics now generally considered to be inferior to heavy slow resistance anyway?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Insta post from Tyler Nelson c4hp.

www.instagram.com/p/CaalouHOpfK

Some of us have been saying this for over a decade on this very website!

Essay in 2015, I might change some of the more speculative last paragraphs now

At the risk of repeating myself..

Personal experience in 2019

I doubt if eccentric wrist curls are bad (unless you have a wrist problem) but, like external rotation shoulder exercises, they are a fairly unthoughtful application of an exercise designed for a different sport. 

Bradders

• forum hero
like external rotation shoulder exercises, they are a fairly unthoughtful application of an exercise designed for a different sport.

Expand on this please! Why would they not be helpful for climbing?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Interesting he talks about damage in the wrist from extension- I gave up bending the wrist more than a few degrees beyond horizontal some time ago for that reason.
Can't read the insta thing so can only reply to this but I have personal experience of this too. With one of my L golfer's elbow flare-ups, I tried to do wrist curl eccentrics and the only way I could provoke any sort of response / "being worked" sensation in the elbow was a weight so heavy I very soon tweaked my wrist too. Hasn't been the case this time around though.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
like external rotation shoulder exercises, they are a fairly unthoughtful application of an exercise designed for a different sport.

Expand on this please! Why would they not be helpful for climbing?

Exercises are rarely completely unhelpful but some are better than others. In general, an effective rehab. programme should focus on exercises which progress towards the functional activity as quickly as pain allows. Rehab.ing a pulley injury you might start by hanging partial bodyweight through an open-handed grip, then gradually increase the load and degree of crimp until you're hanging full bodyweight (or more) off a full crimp.

The same goes for shoulder rehab., from which perspective climbing is:

- high load (bodyweight through one arm frequently).
- closed-chain (the hand is fixed and the body moves, most of the time)

Anatomically:

- The arm is usually elevated
- The cuff and scapular muscles co-contract strongly with little rotation (more rotation in comp. style bouldering or Off The Wagon). Part of the problem is the rotator cuff is a misnomer; their job is primarily to compress and stabilise the joint rather than rotate. Even wikipedia gets this right.

You'd like a shoulder rehab. exercise to be specific: tick as many of those boxes as pain allows. Theraband exercises with your elbow by your side are open chain and low-load, with only part of the cuff working - not co-contracting, and a lot of rotation going on. It's the opposite of what happens when you're climbing. It might be a great exercise if you're a tennis player or want to throw a ball - open chain, low load, high speed, high rotation activities - and my guess is the standard theraband exercises were invented for ball-sports and have been rather unthinkingly applied to climbers.

I can see why you might not be able to do overhead work initially if you have an acutely painful shoulder but exercises like side-planks which encourage rotator cuff co-contraction are probably more useful than theraband rotation. Progress to hand-stands, or military presses if you prefer free-weights.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
With one of my L golfer's elbow flare-ups, I tried to do wrist curl eccentrics and the only way I could provoke any sort of response / "being worked" sensation in the elbow was a weight so heavy I very soon tweaked my wrist too. Hasn't been the case this time around though.

I find dave Macleod's eccentric method works well - no weight and the resistance provided by the other hand or pushing against a fixed object (or even holding a climbing hold with feet on the floor). Much easier to get the intensity right as it's infinitely adjustable, and much easier to avoid tweaks as you can change the orientation of the wrist and elbow much more easily than when you are trying to control a large weight.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I thought the consensus was that there aren’t enough eccentrics in modern climbing?  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal