UKBouldering.com

IFSC World Cup in UK (Read 1658 times)

edshakey

• forum abuser
IFSC World Cup in UK
February 25, 2022, 05:22:25 pm
https://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/677-ifsc-suspends-world-cup-in-moscow

Seeing this cancellation reminded me that the world cups happen, generally, in the same places each year. When has it been in the UK? I know there was a lead comp in Edinburgh a few years back, can't remember if it was a world cup or european championship, but AFAIK it hasn't happened here in a while, especially bouldering.

Would be cool to see a world cup over here over the next few years - not that I expect this one is going to move here, at such late notice and the current facilities available.

As a more general point, how are venues chosen? Is it a bidding process? Or does the IFSC stick to existing arrangements where they have reliable events, such as the Munich bouldering season finisher, or the Alpine comps at the start of the lead.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: IFSC World Cup in UK
February 25, 2022, 05:24:48 pm
IFSC World Cup definitely happened in Edinburgh yes. Pretty bouldery routes IIRC, men didn't get very far...

edshakey

• forum abuser
#2 Re: IFSC World Cup in UK
February 25, 2022, 05:30:40 pm
I wonder how the routesetters determined a wall angle for that comp - completely fixed, or flexible for last minute tweaks. Sounds like they should have knocked it back a bit!

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3 Re: IFSC World Cup in UK
July 04, 2022, 01:27:49 pm
It's actually happening!

https://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/766-ifsc-annouces-rearranged-world-cup-event-in-edinburgh

Wonder if they bowed to the immense pressure of my original post...  :whip:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: IFSC World Cup in UK
July 04, 2022, 03:58:34 pm
Good time of year to do it. No icicles in Ratho yet.

danm

• junky
#5 Re: IFSC World Cup in UK
July 04, 2022, 04:44:18 pm
I've known for a while this was maybe happening but we were sworn to secrecy as a lot of work needed doing before it got the nod. A lot of folk have put a lot of work in already to make it possible and a lot more will be needed to pull it off. Great news for the UK and GB Climbing though.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#6 Re: IFSC World Cup in UK
July 04, 2022, 05:00:49 pm
Without getting bogged down in too many details, what are the kind of logistics required to make an event like this happen? Anything unexpected?

danm

• junky
#7 Re: IFSC World Cup in UK
July 04, 2022, 05:45:45 pm
I'm not directly involved yet* but there will be approximately a metric fuckton of work needed.

*lots of additional work will need to be done aside from organising the event itself to maximise the benefits and coverage of hosting it. It's a great opportunity to showcase the sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal