UKBouldering.com

Value Share thread (Read 12694 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#50 Re: Value Share thread
August 29, 2023, 10:28:42 am
Bombshell re my main holding Volvere VLE as the CEO Jonathan Lander has died (only 55!) Really sad. His brother Nick who focusses on Operations takes over as CEO.

The share price has dropped 7% on the news and is currently ~£11. The stated NAV of mainly cash is £13.90 but this also understates their assets as their only holding - 80% of Shire Foods - is valued on the books at only £6.2m yet generates £2m cash so if sold on should fetch vastly more.

Unclear at this point as to whether Nick will continue the business or wind it up returning proceeds to shareholders. The SP may drop further on uncertainty. I cut back on my holding a few months ago as it got ridiculously large. Will probably sit it out and maybe add if it falls below £10.

Generally I’ve taken a far bit out of the stock market recently to help pay down a mortgage which was getting expensive.

Still in at LDG. Also QRT though did sell at the spike to 192p then bought back in after it dropped.

Probably quite a few bargains out their on value metrics in the current depressed market.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#51 Re: Value Share thread
August 30, 2023, 12:40:42 pm
Half year results out at QRT with significant drop in revenues and profit and therefore share price (down 20%)
However, they’ve moved to a net cash position and still cheap on value metrics.
Not a good week though.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#52 Re: Value Share thread
November 30, 2023, 08:03:11 pm
Not mentioned Quarto QRT before mainly because it’s a bit more complicated than the others I’ve mentioned.

Bought some a year ago without looking into it too much and it has doubled in value since then although dropped back a bit in the last week. Having recently looked into it some more which has been an education and invested more. I’m told it is one of cheapest shares out there based on cash generation as a metric and fair value should be in the region of £4/5 rather than current £1.50. I really should look into and understand this metric more as it’s going to be a more reliable value indicator than the more usual price earnings (PE) figure when the Earnings bit can be legally played about with by clever Finance Directors.

Anyway - why is it so cheap? According to this article it’s because there is a danger of it being taken private.

The story is that veteran investor CK Lau took a large stake as well as the Executive Director role at QRT (an underperforming book publisher) and successfully turned it around. He has been buying up more shares which along with their good results has driven up the price and he now has a 50% stake.

Because QRT is domiciled in Delaware it is not directly subject to UK company law even though it operates as a UK company - so for example it is audited as if it was a UK company. However, it is not subject to the UK takeover code where exemptions have to be obtained if a person’s holding (and any associated parties) exceed 30%.

Last year the FCA reduced its requirement for a listed company from 25% to 10% of shares being in public hands (the free float). There is another 20% owned by a vehicle associated with another Director so the free float currently is 30%. Therefore Lau can still potentially still buy up to another 20% stake before breaching listings rules. It is also possible that he could take just another 5% and come to an agreement with the investment vehicle to use their combined 75% vote to take the company private. The fear here is, as the linked article points out, that you are left with untradeable shares. However, normal practice is to make a reasonable offer to minority shareholders and Lau (I’m told) has a good track record in this respect.

My take is he will keep buying the shares whilst he thinks they are a good price and that in turn will help keep pushing the price up 🤞

Announcement today that it is to be taken private with a Chairman’s statement that the intention is to buy back shares at 150p in a tender offer after delisting (usually it would be before). Potential there to be screwed over royally but the risk seems remote.

Currently trading with a very wide spread. The opening RNS didn't state the mooted tender price which led to some unfortunate investors selling out below 60p before the mooted tender price was publicised and the price bounced back over 100p. I’ve talked to the Company Sec in the past and he is pretty dopey so not altogether surprised this happened.

I was fortunate to sell out completely at over 190p but then bought back in at 153p, 156p then a more substantial purchase at 113p after their previous poorly received trading update so will do pretty well if I’m able to tender all my shares at 150p 🤞

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#53 Re: Value Share thread
January 18, 2024, 03:27:16 pm
The squeaky bum time is over. QRT delisted today and the tender offer at 150p per share has been released so very glad I held my nerve.

I was pretty confident this would be followed through based on reports from the meeting which nudged me to buy a further large amount yesterday at 133.4p. Feeling smug but it could all have ended differently but the balance of probabilities of this working out was high.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#54 Re: Value Share thread
February 03, 2024, 08:01:51 pm
If anyone happens to hold these and are participating in the tender offer be aware you can elect to receive the distribution in different ways (that could affect how you are taxed) which may require you to instruct your provider. The relevant form is this: http://www.quarto.com/public/pdf/investor/20240118_063542_Form_Section_302_certification.pdf

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#55 Re: Value Share thread
April 25, 2024, 08:31:58 am
Carpet bagging potential maybe with Skipton Building Society which is well capitalised so possible £2k to each member if it does demutualise. They have close ties to Barclays. There’s a 4% bond that confers membership and I believe £500 is the minimum to be a member. No downside so worth a punt IMO.

www.skipton.co.uk/savings/fixed-rate-bonds/5-year-fixed-rate-bond

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#56 Re: Value Share thread
April 25, 2024, 10:01:04 am
From T&Cs:

When you sign the application form, you also make some declarations. One of the declarations is an agreement to assign windfalls to charity.
You agree that if we transfer our business to a company or another body corporate within five years of you becoming a shareholding member of Skipton Building Society, any conversion benefits to which you may become entitled as a result of that transfer will go to charity. If you have any questions about our charitable assignment scheme, please ask us.

Assuming you weren't doing this for charity?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#57 Re: Value Share thread
April 25, 2024, 01:37:11 pm
Big windfall coming for Old Oaks PLC, a charitable organisation dedicated to helping ageing Sheffield landlords enjoy the delights of continental bolt-clipping  :hug:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#58 Re: Value Share thread
April 25, 2024, 03:34:27 pm
From T&Cs:

When you sign the application form, you also make some declarations. One of the declarations is an agreement to assign windfalls to charity.
You agree that if we transfer our business to a company or another body corporate within five years of you becoming a shareholding member of Skipton Building Society, any conversion benefits to which you may become entitled as a result of that transfer will go to charity. If you have any questions about our charitable assignment scheme, please ask us.

Assuming you weren't doing this for charity?

Good spot!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#59 Re: Value Share thread
April 25, 2024, 03:57:29 pm
Big windfall coming for Old Oaks PLC, a charitable organisation dedicated to helping ageing Sheffield landlords enjoy the delights of continental bolt-clipping  :hug:

Not a bad thought.

Does seem like there are money spinners to be had. Identify areas where the government want to direct money. Set up a charity focussed on that area. Pitch for grants. Pay yourself a decent salary as CEO.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#60 Re: Value Share thread
April 25, 2024, 08:27:48 pm

Not a bad thought.

Does seem like there are money spinners to be had. Identify areas where the government want to direct money. Set up a charity focussed on that area. Pitch for grants. Pay yourself a decent salary as CEO.

I know more than one "social entrepreneur" who has done this - and paid some mega pension contributions to themselves as well

It pisses me off how so many people use charities to make lots of money for themselves - I have contemplated becoming a stealth ninja charity profiteer assassin in order to encourage people to behave better, but I've seen too many Batman films to feel confident that the outcome would justify my actions

petejh

• forum hero
#61 Re: Value Share thread
April 25, 2024, 08:30:44 pm
Does seem like there are money spinners to be had. Identify areas where the government want to direct money. Set up a charity an 'official' sporting body focussed on that area. Pitch for grants. Pay yourself a decent salary as CEO.

You're essentially describing the model of GB Climbing / a.n. other sporting governing bodies.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal