UKBouldering.com

Living in Otley (Read 4009 times)

daddy long legs

• player
Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 09:06:09 am
Eh up folk of UKB!
We're considering a move back to Yarkshire after about10 years of living abroad. Originally from the Harrogate area we're looking at Otley as a possible location.
I know it a bit from the odd pub visit and bouldering at Caley, but was wondering if anyone has the lowdown/ local's perspective on what it's like to actually live there?
Tips or opinions on things like schools (both secondary and primary), climbing scene, general vibe etc. etc. is very welcome.
Cheers!

ali k

• junky
#1 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 09:20:08 am
Don’t live there but have only ever heard good things about all criteria you mention.

When we were looking at locations the only thing that really stopped us was lack of a train station.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 09:45:36 am
Eh up folk of UKB!
We're considering a move back to Yarkshire after about10 years of living abroad. Originally from the Harrogate area we're looking at Otley as a possible location.
I know it a bit from the odd pub visit and bouldering at Caley, but was wondering if anyone has the lowdown/ local's perspective on what it's like to actually live there?
Tips or opinions on things like schools (both secondary and primary), climbing scene, general vibe etc. etc. is very welcome.
Cheers!

Similar to Ali, a friend lives there and they like it - though they moved there in the last year and had a baby not long after, so their life is a bit different to how it was. The main drawback is the lack of a station but they seem to like it otherwise.

One of them worked in Leeds and they were big cyclists so cycled into the city a lot for work, otherwise had to get the bus or drive which could be a bit of a pain but not too bad.

They previously lived in Ilkley and Leeds but decided on Otley as a longer-term base.

daddy long legs

• player
#3 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 09:54:17 am
Great, thanks for the feedback.

Not having a train station isn't really a concern for us. Finding an affordable 4-5 bed house to rent short-mid term might be though! To Let properties in the UK seem insanely expensive compared where we are now in Germany.

+s so far seem to be:
Relatively close to Leeds/ Harrogate for indoor climbing
Close to Caley/ Almscliffe for outdoor
Good schools
Close to airport

-s are:
No train station
Expensive to rent (but I guess this applies to most or all decent places to live in the UK)

Keen to hear more opinions!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 09:59:39 am
Further afield, but we're in Gomersal - so in that Halifax / Huddersfield / Leeds kinda zone. More reasonably priced, good schools (assuming you're in catchment for them). Leeds in 20ish mins by car, plentiful buses too.

Nearest crags Shipley Glen / Halifax stuff (so Woodhouse etc), but being south of Leeds and right on M62, Peak is do-able without too much hassle. I can do mine to Stanage area in just over an hour.

Might be worth checking out Mirfield, where we lived in a stopgap rental for a bit. Nice village, quiet, shops and cafes etc, and has a train station. Lots of lovely period houses if that's your bag too.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#5 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 10:50:26 am
Pluses it is about 45 mins to Kinsey, 40 to trollers, a lot of the dales within an hour. Plenty of other local crags doable in an evening for bouldering and trad. In general a lot of the dales is a bit more accessible than living more centrally in Leeds. It does mean the Peak is less tempting as it is that bit longer to get there, but the lakes is closer too.

One negative is parts of Otley flood, so worth making sure you don't live in one of those. This is true of many places though.

I live just up the road, in a place with a station. If I wasn't bothered about that I would be happy living there.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#6 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 10:56:31 am
Menston station on the Ilkley - Leeds line is 2.5 miles from Otley with regular buses, obviously not as handy as having a station in the town but not too inconvenient. Leeds keep on messing with their mass transit plans, so not sure if there's any segregated bus lanes/ trams/ monorails in the offing at the moment that may make the commute faster from Otley if necessary.

Has become quite gentrified over the last decade, so a decent amount of food options now (that were previously lacking besides curry and pub grub), and still an excellent selection of pubs and bars.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 10:57:57 am
Sadly no more caff.

Where wull you be commuting to for work?

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 02:42:03 pm
One of them worked in Leeds and they were big cyclists so cycled into the city a lot for work, otherwise had to get the bus or drive which could be a bit of a pain but not too bad.

The two people I know who did this have both had serious accidents in recent years. One involved a white van man not noticing them stopped at a traffic light.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#9 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 03:18:50 pm

The two people I know who did this have both had serious accidents in recent years. One involved a white van man not noticing them stopped at a traffic light.

You heard it here, folks. Cycling to work has a 100% accident rate. Stop it at once.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 03:27:07 pm
Daft comment Will.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#11 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 03:35:14 pm

I’d not want to cycle that route myself - it’s horribly busy!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#12 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 03:49:34 pm
Daft comment Will.

Just my way of saying that I didn't find Paul's comment particularly illuminating.

Bradders

• forum hero
#13 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 04:25:25 pm
Biggest issue might be actually finding somewhere to live, as there simply aren't that many houses out there. Combined with its popularity what there is tends to be fairly expensive as a result, and they go fast! A quick search of Rightmove for a 4 bed family home for sale gives precisely one result at the moment, with the house only listed today! I imagine it'll be gone tomorrow  ::)

Not sure if that applies to renting though.

Pluses it is about 45 mins to Kinsey, 40 to trollers, a lot of the dales within an hour. Plenty of other local crags doable in an evening for bouldering and trad. In general a lot of the dales is a bit more accessible than living more centrally in Leeds. It does mean the Peak is less tempting as it is that bit longer to get there, but the lakes is closer too.

This is all spot on so depends what you're after. Do you want crags 5-10 mins away but it's longer to get to the Peak, or are you happy being at least 20mins from rock, yet lots of the Peak is accessible in an hour or so? I live near Pudsey and can get to Caley in 25 mins, Kilnsey in an hour and Miller's Dale in an hour and 20. Although that said, driving through or around Bradford is always a real chore.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#14 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 05:02:07 pm

This is all spot on so depends what you're after. Do you want crags 5-10 mins away but it's longer to get to the Peak, or are you happy being at least 20mins from rock, yet lots of the Peak is accessible in an hour or so?

I guess whether you want to live in a metropolitan suburb or a rural(ish) market town may come down to more than the distance to crags too!

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 05:11:02 pm
Just my way of saying that I didn't find Paul's comment particularly illuminating.

As much as active transport is to be encouraged I think the suggestion that it's a viable commute on a bike from a safety perspective is questionable (or, as someone who's happy enough to ride on the road, I wouldn't consider the level of risk involved in that suggestion as tolerable, personally). Perhaps it would've been better to lead with that, and then add it's on the basis of some pretty nasty accidents that I'm aware of (one very lucky to survive and the other having had multiple incidents before a serious one). It's a moot point unless the OP is looking to commute that way.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
I live in otley, I think it is a great place to be. Good pubs,  really good for running and cycling and an OK distance from Leeds (a cycle-able).  Obviously perfect for caley,  almscliff etc.  It is also a really nice size,  decent shops, good schools. 

Only downside property is expensive/limited and no train station,  also if you are into fine dining it isn't brilliant.

Burley-in-wharfedale seems nice if you want an alternative.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 05:37:17 pm

I’d not want to cycle that route myself - it’s horribly busy!

I commute to Leeds on a bike a couple of times a week and it is fine, the cars are quick but the roads very wide so you don't get buzzed and people are pretty considerate.  It is once you get into the leeds the fun starts.

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 05:49:16 pm
It is once you get into the leeds the fun starts.

So to clarify, the commute into Leeds is fine, until you're in Leeds?  :???:

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#19 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 05:50:31 pm

As much as active transport is to be encouraged I think the suggestion that it's a viable commute on a bike from a safety perspective is questionable (or, as someone who's happy enough to ride on the road, I wouldn't consider the level of risk involved in that suggestion as tolerable, personally). Perhaps it would've been better to lead with that, and then add it's on the basis of some pretty nasty accidents that I'm aware of (one very lucky to survive and the other having had multiple incidents before a serious one). It's a moot point unless the OP is looking to commute that way.

Getting hit at a traffic light is really unlucky and could happen anywhere. Loads of cycling clubs ride between Leeds and Otley all the time. I'd be more put off by the hill at the start of every morning!

You're spoilt for climbing wherever you live between Ilkley and Leeds so I wouldn't let that be a decider.

I can't say much about Otley as I've never really stopped/ eaten there, but I have had the best coffee éclair from Otley!   

Bradders

• forum hero
#20 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 06:14:46 pm

This is all spot on so depends what you're after. Do you want crags 5-10 mins away but it's longer to get to the Peak, or are you happy being at least 20mins from rock, yet lots of the Peak is accessible in an hour or so?

I guess whether you want to live in a metropolitan suburb or a rural(ish) market town may come down to more than the distance to crags too!

Pfft, driving times to a wide variety of climbing and whether you can get a good board in are the only factors in housing choice surely?  ;)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#21 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 06:29:47 pm
If my partner had got her training contract in Leeds rather than Manchester I'd have been angling to live in Otley. I've always rated it as a really nice town with great pubs. Way better than Ilkley for my money.

daddy long legs

• player
#22 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 06:51:03 pm
Thanks for all the replies, super helpful!

It'll be home-office so no commuting into Leeds necessary. The only real reason to visit Leeds would be for indoor bouldering when time or weather dictates this, so no issues with having to cycle that way.

I used to live in the Peak, so climbed plenty there meaning it's not super necessary to get there quickly. Really interesting to here that Kilnsey's only around 40 mins from Otley. I mainly sport climb and boulder these days and not done any sport climbing in Yorkshire. Is it any good? A quick google shows Malham is around an hour away and that's supposed to be world class........kinda!

I'll check out Burley and surrounding villages too.

Cheers!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#23 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 06:55:34 pm
It is once you get into the leeds the fun starts.

So to clarify, the commute into Leeds is fine, until you're in Leeds?  :???:

I was just referring to the bit from otley before you get to Leeds, assuming one was going to commute on a bike.   Yep, Paul cycling on a road is dangerous, in a professional and personal capacity I have experienced the aftermath of car vs cyclist.

Bradders

• forum hero
#24 Re: Living in Otley
February 11, 2022, 07:15:20 pm
I mainly sport climb and boulder these days and not done any sport climbing in Yorkshire. Is it any good? A quick google shows Malham is around an hour away and that's supposed to be world class........kinda!

It's the best the UK has!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal