Well guid. Love it Rob.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: The Gneiss Times
January 31, 2022, 05:55:29 pm
 :clap2:  love it, that's the sort of incisive reporting that climbing needs.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: The Gneiss Times
January 31, 2022, 06:37:07 pm
More of this, please.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: The Gneiss Times
January 31, 2022, 08:47:33 pm
Thanks Guys

My hope/intension is to get issue 2 out soon :2thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: The Gneiss Times
January 31, 2022, 09:49:45 pm
good work Rob, very amusing

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#7 Re: The Gneiss Times
January 31, 2022, 10:13:43 pm
Brilliant.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#8 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 01, 2022, 09:13:09 am
Yep, that was guid.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#9 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 01, 2022, 09:37:27 am
Was interested about the development of that Queen’s Wave face, it was pretty obvious in the videos from the fresh rock scars that someone had put in some work with a pry bar, but this is glossed over completely! I know that’s part and parcel of development, particularly on igneous/metamorphic mountain rock, but funny that it wasn’t mentioned at all.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#10 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 01, 2022, 09:43:01 am
This was great! I found the humour could be further enhanced by reading aloud in a thick Glaswegian accent...

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 01, 2022, 02:01:56 pm
Was interested about the development of that Queen’s Wave face, it was pretty obvious in the videos from the fresh rock scars that someone had put in some work with a pry bar, but this is glossed over completely! I know that’s part and parcel of development, particularly on igneous/metamorphic mountain rock, but funny that it wasn’t mentioned at all.
No pry bars or tools were used to remove or shift any holds on Queen's.
As was the mention about glue, that face has explosive holds. It was really difficult to tell which holds were solid and which one weren't until you climbed on them.
An example from 1:30 onwards-

I hope you enjoyed the article for what it was, a light-hearted look on climbing in Strathnairn.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#12 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 01, 2022, 03:49:58 pm
Fair play thanks for clarifying, I very much enjoyed it and look forward to more!!

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#13 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 01, 2022, 04:19:41 pm
I'm glad you mentioned that Teestub as those flake scars were glaringly obvious in Dave's videos. Seemed like a bit of an elephant in the room. Fair dos to Rob for mentioning what really goes on in developing new stuff on that sort of rock.
The only bit that irks me is the impression Dave gives in his videos that the glens are full of virgin boulders of pristine rock just waiting to be climbed. The reality (in my experience) is that it mostly requires lots of time spent cleaning and sorting landings before it's climbable,  so only proper good stuffs worth the effort. Sorry, a bit  :offtopic:

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 01, 2022, 10:42:14 pm
I'm glad you mentioned that Teestub as those flake scars were glaringly obvious in Dave's videos. Seemed like a bit of an elephant in the room. Fair dos to Rob for mentioning what really goes on in developing new stuff on that sort of rock.
The only bit that irks me is the impression Dave gives in his videos that the glens are full of virgin boulders of pristine rock just waiting to be climbed. The reality (in my experience) is that it mostly requires lots of time spent cleaning and sorting landings before it's climbable,  so only proper good stuffs worth the effort. Sorry, a bit  :offtopic:
Yeah its off subject Gaz but you have earned the right to stray from the thread.
I agree wholeheartedly that most rock is wet/moss/damp/chossy/unclimable in its native state.
 I am not entirely sure but i suspect Dave steers clear of the controversy and ethics of development and leaves it up to those who feel they have the energy to fight that fight.
As a side note, i have in over 10 yrs of development Never glued a hold on to any bit of rock, i do however have a class bowl of important broken project holds that takes pride of place on my bookshelf ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 07:55:29 am
Do you have writing on each one like a geology specimen as to what it was on, when it came off and the change in grade? :)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#16 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 08:18:05 am
I'm sure you're right Rob, and its a very sensible position to take!
Anyway, enough about my bugbears and more about Rhys' tache please!

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 09:16:37 am
Do you have writing on each one like a geology specimen as to what it was on, when it came off and the change in grade? :)
I didn't But i do now :lol:

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 09:42:52 am
I'm sure you're right Rob, and its a very sensible position to take!
Anyway, enough about my bugbears and more about Rhys' tache please!
Rhys's tache has a considerable backstory, he was originally awarded first prize and a gold medal by the Highland branch of Modern Moustache wearer UK{youth wing}. 2 aggrieved Jnr Doctors then stepped forward with extraordinary upper lipped impersonations of terminally ill hairy caterpillar's and demanded a recount or they would in their rage start blindly striking patients at the local hospital.

Feeling cornered and unwilling to burden the responsibility and guilt the Board reversed its decision and bumped Rhys into 3rd.

With the grace and strength far beyond his years Rhys accepted the lesser award swearing to all that is good and true he would return in 2023 with a below the beak bush of unquestionable beauty  :P

carlisle slapper

• menacing presence
#19 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 11:38:00 am
quality article, great to see the local scene thriving up there and filling the hole left by the end of Richie and Mikes inital exploration. Fwiw in nearly 20 years of cleaning small rocks i've never glued a hold on or reinforced one, It essentially turns into route setting if you decide what to rip off and what to keep and as such the challenge is no longer natural its artificial. Im not outraged if people do it but i do think its good to try and leave a natural challenge for future generations. I can see the other argument that leaving a stable challenge for future gens is also valid (hence why i stabilise sandstone and grit) But Bosi (and tim blake doing the stand in a few tries) mopping up the proj over the valley in a session is a decent showcase. Perhaps this wall would've snapped back to being a great 8B or 8C or it'd be impossible but thats just the way it goes with entropy and natural weathering sometimes. I'd guess if another local had kept a few more of those flakes both the 8's would've been easier. Maybe theres a natural point where the creaky holds were just about going to stay but personally i've never been comfortable with it myself. Not really appropriate for the youtube vids though so you can hardly blame dave for skipping the "you wont believe how much epoxy i put on this block clickbait title" thinking of it that'd be a great series "i took this 6 foot jimmy bar to the crag, you'll never guess what happened next"

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#20 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 07:58:59 pm
Genuine question... I was thinking of driving up next week to look at these new problems of Queen's Wave. They look good but am I going to be disappointed in real life? Should I just go to Northumberland?

A board climbers paradise is a mighty claim hence the genuine question.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 08:30:31 pm
Genuine question... I was thinking of driving up next week to look at these new problems of Queen's Wave. They look good but am I going to be disappointed in real life? Should I just go to Northumberland?

A board climbers paradise is a mighty claim hence the genuine question.
I think i may be the wrong person to ask as i have a biased/distorted/C*ntish view of climbing in the Highlands.
Looking at the weather for next week Northumberland might be a good shout.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#22 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 08:45:30 pm
I've not been so afraid I can't help on the specifics of Queens Wave but unless there's good weather forecast with high confidence I wouldn't drive all this way (passing Northumberland?) at this time of year.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#23 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 02, 2022, 09:21:04 pm
I'm in Edinburgh so I can either go North or South. Weather next week doesn't look so bad but I'll check and decision on Mon.

Is there an optimal wind direction for Queen's Wave?

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#24 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 03, 2022, 08:15:38 am
Ah cool, not such a big risk then if the weather is shit.
I think it faces south or maybe southwest so any wind with a bit of south in it will be on or across the face.
As for quality, the best review of the harder problems I can give is from a pal thats climbed there a few times who says "To be fair they look cool. If you are a weapon on a board you would probably have a good time". Make of that what you will!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#25 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 03, 2022, 12:59:57 pm
I think I'll take a punt subject to an ok forecast. Not because I'm a board weapon but because it looks cool and exploring new places is fun.

I'll aim to head up on Wed-Fri next week if anyone is about and fancies a sess.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#26 Re: The Gneiss Times
February 03, 2022, 01:13:57 pm
Take your bike if weather is marginal, Wolftax Laggan is good fun, assuming it's not out of order due to fallen trees.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

36chambers

• forum hero
#28 Re: The Gneiss Times
March 14, 2022, 09:16:28 am
 :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#29 Re: The Gneiss Times
March 14, 2022, 09:32:03 am
 :whistle: :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#30 Re: The Gneiss Times
March 14, 2022, 09:36:37 am
" 1* max, this isn't Portlethen for fuck sake" - made me laugh. Good reporting, thanks Rob.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#31 Re: The Gneiss Times
March 14, 2022, 10:01:26 am
Lovely stuff  :2thumbsup:

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#32 Re: The Gneiss Times
March 14, 2022, 12:12:34 pm
" 1* max, this isn't Portlethen for fuck sake" - made me laugh. Good reporting, thanks Rob.

Thanks, the final report is not mine.
if you look closely at the roving reporters name, you might guess ;)

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

Bradders

• forum hero
#34 Re: The Gneiss Times
March 16, 2022, 03:43:51 pm
Lovely, keep them coming  :clap2:

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

webbo

• forum hero

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

webbo

• forum hero
#40 Re: The Gneiss Times
May 14, 2022, 09:07:33 am
 :2thumbsup:

JJP

• addict
#41 Re: The Gneiss Times
June 02, 2023, 10:20:56 am
Hi

Planning to visit Queen`s wave tomorrow and wondering if anyone has beta on finding it?

Description for approach is ;
Same as for the Ruthven Boulder but head round the shoulder of Stac Gorm and contour around below Tynrich slabs. Keep contouring and the blocks are another 500m or so along from Tynrich just short of parallel to the edge of the commercial woodland.

So sounds ok but I am pretty bad at finding new places and think it may well be roasting!  Assuming you walk past Ruthven boulder and then curve slightly round to the left - is it easy to spot?  Looks kind of hidden from the topo pics.

Anyone with any further info would be appreciated.

Cheers

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#42 Re: The Gneiss Times
June 02, 2023, 11:12:22 am
Hi

Planning to visit Queen`s wave tomorrow and wondering if anyone has beta on finding it?

Description for approach is ;
Same as for the Ruthven Boulder but head round the shoulder of Stac Gorm and contour around below Tynrich slabs. Keep contouring and the blocks are another 500m or so along from Tynrich just short of parallel to the edge of the commercial woodland.

So sounds ok but I am pretty bad at finding new places and think it may well be roasting!  Assuming you walk past Ruthven boulder and then curve slightly round to the left - is it easy to spot?  Looks kind of hidden from the topo pics.

Anyone with any further info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Helloooooo, Yup its pretty hidden but findable if you get the right sort of area{which it sounds like you do}. Apologies, this and other areas will be far easier to find when the guide eventually comes out in the autumn.

If you do pop over, go in the evening as everything will be in shade by then, otherwise its 19 degrees, which for Inverneshire is officially "Fuckeeen Roasteeen min".

Best of luck and watch your skin :)

JJP

• addict
#43 Re: The Gneiss Times
June 02, 2023, 11:27:32 am

Hey scragrock
Thank you very much for the beta, hoped you might reply!
Ye that is great I will head in that direction and hopefully find it, looks totally ace. Always have Ruthven if dont!
Ye plan either first thing or evening (or both) and have recharged my skin for a few days  :2thumbsup:
Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal