UKBouldering.com

WANTED: Best forgotten art DVD - Johnny Dawes (Read 3223 times)

sirlockoff

• regular
  • god's own rock
  • @sirlockoff
    • Peak district bouldering sends
WANTED: Best forgotten art DVD - Johnny Dawes
January 28, 2022, 06:17:20 pm
Anyone have it to borrow or want to sell? Sheffield.  :icon_beerchug: :fishing:

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I have a copy on dvd but it’s in storage as we’re between homes.

I can rip it and send out a copy. Remind me in a couple of months if nothing comes up.

sirlockoff

• regular
  • god's own rock
  • @sirlockoff
    • Peak district bouldering sends
@cowboyhat I wrote to you  :dance1:

SamT

• forum hero
Err.. + 1 if you're able to rip it.  I've never seen it and have always been curious.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I'll try and have a look for the dvds this weekend, last few boxes left to unpack.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Err.. + 1 if you're able to rip it.  I've never seen it and have always been curious.

Absolute classic. Going to look pretty homemade by today's standards though...

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Not at all, IIRC the picture and sound editing are very good. Anyone can buy a 4k camera but that doesn't make you a filmmaker.

I didnt get round to looking for it but I will!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 04:27:37 pm by cowboyhat »

SamT

• forum hero
 :2thumbsup:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Going to look pretty homemade by today's standards though...

Not at all, IIRC the picture and sound editing are very good. Anyone can buy a 4k camera but that doesn't make you a filmmaker.

This is an interesting (to me at least) subject. I watched it again last night and while the picture quality is not what we’ve become accustomed to in the 2020s, the sound is still better than 85-90% of climbing flicks, it’s shot from two angles for some parts and as cowboyhat says the editing is great (Rich “Hard Grit” Heap is credited with editing, Dawes as producer/ director), particularly when you consider that it would have been done in an hourly-rented edit suite with synchronised tape machines rather than on a computer.

What will really jar with the modern climbing film viewer is more the pacing, structure and quantity of uninterrupted climbing I think. A fair bit of the film is long, narration-free sequences of JD doing classic grit cracks in a pair of original Guide Tennies + successively more bizarre outfits and it ends with a full ten minutes of various people failing to do Ray’s Roof, soundtracked by vintage motor racing commentary...

I’m not saying “they don’t make ‘em like they used to” but if you’re only used to those 15-minute climbing films that feel like a trailer for a bigger film that doesn’t exist (but still find time for a blooper reel during the long credits roll) or Reel Rock-type comedy shows with nothing on screen for more than ten seconds at a time then it’ll definitely feel like something from a different era!

Wellsy

• forum hero
I definitely think some of those older ones are better. My favourite climbing movies are probably The Real Thing and Rampage and the lack of polish, odd pacing and focus on raw footage are why. That said I do love Wedge and Mellow so there's a place for both that and modern polished stuff.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I’m not saying “they don’t make ‘em like they used to”

No! Nobody ever made them like this!  I mean, the architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
 :lol: I definitely think it’s unique, I didn’t want to give the impression that I think only old climbing films are any good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
the architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko!

is that an or or an and?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
A fair bit of the film is long, narration-free sequences of JD doing classic grit cracks in a pair of original Guide Tennies + successively more bizarre outfits and it ends with a full ten minutes of various people failing to do Ray’s Roof, soundtracked by vintage motor racing commentary...

Where do I buy this film? If Johnny ever invites the viewer to imagine their foot is a little helicopter or asks them if they've been on the internet to listen to the planets I'll pay double.

Wellsy

• forum hero
I've had the helicopter explanation delivered to me in person by the master himself, enlightening

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal