UKBouldering.com

Pudsey Depot (not) busy times (Read 3433 times)

edshakey

• forum abuser
Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 09:16:41 am
Have only just realised how it's not too far to the depot from where I live now so was planning on going out that way a bit more often. But went down on Wednesday and it was packed! I know a fair number of people on here have talked about going there so any tips on when it's more bearable? Or was Wednesday an anomaly?

New depot is almost within sight from my house, so i'm not expecting this to be a long term issue  :2thumbsup:

ali k

• junky
#1 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 09:54:14 am
Seems to always be busy in the evenings except maybe Monday? Unsurprisingly daytimes are quiet. Saturdays seem to be quieter than Sundays in my experience.

I usually keep an eye on the capacity trackers and only go if there’s fewer than around 40ish. Any more than that and I feel like I’m going to land on people, especially in the middle narrow sections. It’s not a very big space compared to most centres now.

If you like isolation then try out the Bradford wall - usually only a handful of people even in the evenings and it’s a much bigger space. Not as good setting though IMO.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 10:56:09 am
Despite being a regular for over a decade I stopped going to Pudsey about a year ago because it just got too busy at any time I'd want to go.

I definitely recall a Friday night (which didn't used to be too bad) when I took my daughter and it just didn't feel safe, rammed, kid's clubs taking up sections of the wall, either people walking under me while I was climbing, groups of people sat around on the mats under problems etc.

Sure this will fix itself when the new centre opens though.

As for alternatives, while the bouldering at Big Depot isn't as extensive it's still as good, and rarely anything approaching busy. After stopping going to Depot in Pudsey I started using Last Sun Dance which is a much bigger space to start with, does get busy, but as its not carpeted with matting people don't just sit about under problems when they're not climbing.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 12:15:42 pm
Cheers guys

If you like isolation then try out the Bradford wall - usually only a handful of people even in the evenings and it’s a much bigger space. Not as good setting though IMO.

Did check this out a couple weekends ago, absolutely enormous room! But yeah, pretty average setting. And a bit far when all the leeds walls are much closer.

Sure this will fix itself when the new centre opens though.

As for alternatives, while the bouldering at Big Depot isn't as extensive it's still as good, and rarely anything approaching busy. After stopping going to Depot in Pudsey I started using Last Sun Dance which is a much bigger space to start with, does get busy, but as its not carpeted with matting people don't just sit about under problems when they're not climbing.

Agreed, new depot will be great.

I've been going to LSD pretty regularly, and am yet to find it oppressively/dangerously busy. Will most likely continue until the new depot is open, with occasional trips to the others for variety.

Bradders

• forum hero
#4 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 06:20:36 pm
I usually keep an eye on the capacity trackers and only go if there’s fewer than around 40ish. Any more than that and I feel like I’m going to land on people, especially in the middle narrow sections. It’s not a very big space compared to most centres now.

This is pretty funny when I think back to wet Tuesday evenings a few years ago, it was always absolutely heaving but a great atmosphere! No idea how many people would be in there but must have been over 100. Lots of happy memories.

It's not the same now though, partly because I just don't know anyone who goes there regularly anymore.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#5 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 06:52:52 pm

This is pretty funny when I think back to wet Tuesday evenings a few years ago, it was always absolutely heaving but a great atmosphere! No idea how many people would be in there but must have been over 100. Lots of happy memories.

It's not the same now though, partly because I just don't know anyone who goes there regularly anymore.

Yep great memories of essentially crowd surfing to the back room!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#6 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 07:22:36 pm
Every serious climber seems to have built their own board now, so the clientele has swung way more towards wall only climbers. We had a great scene going there for a while eh! Sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s over.

Bradders

• forum hero
#7 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 07:43:12 pm
Yep great memories of essentially crowd surfing to the back room!

Ha yeah, such a good scene on the board for a while! Those were the days.

I wonder whether people are less willing to travel now as well too. Was chatting to someone in the week who was complaining about coming from near Harrogate down to the Leeds walls; nothing compared to the trip Tim et al used to regularly down from Skipton!

dunnyg

• forum hero
#8 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 07:48:03 pm
I used to get the bus and train from the fax as a kid when it first opened. Deals doughnuts on the way back from Asda then waiting for the last train back. Happy times!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 07:59:29 pm by dunnyg »

saltbeef

• forum hero
#9 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 21, 2022, 08:06:25 pm
Every serious climber seems to have built their own board now, so the clientele has swung way more towards wall only climbers. We had a great scene going there for a while eh! Sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s over.

completely this, I miss you bunch of cunts - ps the board is still there and ready to crush your dreams and spirits

andy_e

• forum hero
#10 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 22, 2022, 10:48:28 pm
 :'( :'( :'(

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#11 Re: Pudsey Depot (not) busy times
January 23, 2022, 11:48:41 am
Slightly OT but making me nostalgic of the time spent in Leeds going to City Bloc and The Depot. Good scenes at both.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal