UKBouldering.com

Post climbing soreness (Read 4450 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 10:18:20 am
After a hard day at the crag I always feel wrecked in my back as if I’ve been trampled on but scarcely any noticeable soreness in my arms (still feeling it this morning after yesterday). My impression is that’s unusual but what does that mean either about the way I climb or my physical make up…?

yetix

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 10:23:04 am
I used to get this when the volume I was doing was much higher and I wasn't eating enough, once I gained some weight and the volume reduced a little I didn't notice it so much.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 10:54:40 am
I never notice it in my back, it's always in my forearms, biceps and lats if I'm really pushing myself. Is it in any particular part of the back?

sheavi

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 11:27:19 am
After a hard day at the crag I always feel wrecked in my back as if I’ve been trampled on but scarcely any noticeable soreness in my arms (still feeling it this morning after yesterday). My impression is that’s unusual but what does that mean either about the way I climb or my physical make up…?

What do you do after a hard day at the crag?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 11:47:30 am
I used to get this when the volume I was doing was much higher and I wasn't eating enough, once I gained some weight and the volume reduced a little I didn't notice it so much.

For sure it’s worse from volume rather than short intense sessions. I’ve always had it and not noticed any difference between when I’ve been under or overweight

Is it in any particular part of the back?

All of it

Typically nothing other than drive home though did do some back stretching over a yoga block last night

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 11:50:09 am
Maybe stems from my various back issues?. One climbing physio said I had the tightest back he’d ever come across.

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 11:53:35 am
Does "wrecked" mean sore or tired? For me these can be different...

From my experience:
The day after (or at the end of) a long bouldering session my forearms will feel tired and "dead", but usually not very sore. The day after (or at the end of) getting pumped my forearms will feel sore (i.e. painful, tender to stretch). Conversely if I notice my shoulders being sore/tired, I will almost only ever notice the soreness (pain/tenderness) - I would say I usually can't pick up on the tiredness feeling without trying to do something and then realising they're tired. For my shoulders soreness can easily happen after bouldering as well as after getting pumped. That said, I almost always notice my shoulders the next day - it's usually a DOMS thing, they're rarely that sore at the end of the day unless I've been doing something v shouldery (unlike forearms, which often are sore or tired both at the end of the session and the next day).

I don't notice my back being generically tired - more specific muscles/areas (e.g. traps or a lat) but this may partly be because my mid/lower back is always a bit sore/tired feeling as a chronic issue.

No idea what the cause is for your issue I'm afraid, but your guess sounds likely if it's the whole back...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:03:53 pm
Feels both sore and tired.

Somethings not right.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:11:14 pm

Typically nothing other than drive home though did do some back stretching over a yoga block last night
[/quote]

As an experiment try doing some mobility work afterwards. Stretching over a yoga block is fine but add in rotation, side flexion and forward flexion, dynamic and static.  Do some hip mobility stuff too. Warm down exercises really. See if it makes a difference.  Perhaps it's just tightening up and then you're pretty static and immobile for quite a period of time afterwards.  Try doing the simple things first.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 12:18:25 pm by sheavi »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:16:08 pm
Maybe stems from my various back issues?. One climbing physio said I had the tightest back he’d ever come across.
:lol: might have answered your own question there!!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#10 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:21:30 pm
Aren’t you climbing at an area where you’ve got to walk into crags carrying sport climbing gear after a long period of climbing nowhere but the Tor Shark?

Could just be that your body’s adjusting to carrying the gear more than a few metres. I’ve always felt like a lot of the full-body knackeredness rock climbing creates as opposed to the more specific feelings from a similar amount of indoor climbing or training is down to walking in and out, covering uneven ground, lugging gear from one place to another etc. I’m hardly a perfect control when it comes to back pain but now I train exclusively in the winter I really notice it when I burst back onto the crags at the start of spring

Also never fails to amuse me how we all have the specific medical terms to hand when talking about finger injuries but when it comes to the complexities of the back it’s just “my back”  :lol:.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#11 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:28:49 pm
As an experiment try doing some mobility work afterwards. Stretching over a yoga block is fine but add in rotation, side flexion and forward flexion, dynamic and static.  Do some hip mobility stuff too. Warm down exercises really. See if it makes a difference.  Perhaps it's just tightening up and then you're pretty static and immobile for quite a period of time afterwards.  Try doing the simple things first.

Thanks. I’ll give it a go. Does feel like I’m seizing up after. Think I’ll also force myself to do an easyish route at the end the day as well.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#12 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:34:16 pm

Thanks. I’ll give it a go. Does feel like I’m seizing up after. Think I’ll also force myself to do an easyish route at the end the day as well.
Any twitching, tremors or noticeable weakness; in your back or even down into your legs? And how hard are you hitting the deadlifts these days?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#13 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:35:35 pm
Aren’t you climbing at an area where you’ve got to walk into crags carrying sport climbing gear after a long period of climbing nowhere but the Tor Shark?

Only 5 mins here and Duncan seems keen to carry the rope. Think he is prepping for yomping in Scotland

Also never fails to amuse me how we all have the specific medical terms to hand when talking about finger injuries but when it comes to the complexities of the back it’s just “my back”  :lol:.

It’s a tricky area even for the medical profession according to Duncan. The concluding comment of something I’ve just read says “ Because of the dynamic, complex nature of the back and its system of nerves and muscles, not all causes of back muscle tightness are well understood”

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#14 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 12:48:22 pm
Any twitching, tremors or noticeable weakness; in your back or even down into your legs?

None from climbing. But I get a sore back from sitting for too long and have to monitor my posture on long drives to keep it at bay

And how hard are you hitting the deadlifts these days?

The answer to everything is deadlifts 😉
I only did a proper stint of deadlifting over 10 years ago as a way of strengthening my core to help with back issues which along with yoga and following some postural advice worked a treat. Since then I’ve done the occasional lift and it’s usually just below 2x which in my mind is completely satisfactory for climbing. Also going on Bens is a hard core workout for me. However, I have mentally pencilled in doing some specific longer duration core work as training for Bens later in the year.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 01:41:41 pm

The introductory slide for my back pain module 2010-2019. Also, by far the most popular tweet in my brief engagement with twitter.

(Alf Nachemson was the founding editor of Spine journal).

Ged

• junky
#16 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 01:45:45 pm
Any twitching, tremors or noticeable weakness; in your back or even down into your legs?

None from climbing. But I get a sore back from sitting for too long and have to monitor my posture on long drives to keep it at bay

I only did a proper stint of deadlifting over 10 years ago as a way of strengthening my core to help with back issues which along with yoga and following some postural advice worked a treat. Since then I’ve done the occasional lift and it’s usually just below 2x which in my mind is completely satisfactory for climbing. Also going on Bens is a hard core workout for me. However, I have mentally pencilled in doing some specific longer duration core work as training for Bens later in the year.

I went to grumble to my physio once about a similar thing. He said "you're in your late 30s, you're trying really hard at a physical sport, and you're complaining that you're trashed afterwards? Right. Have a hot bath and a rest"

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#17 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 01:58:50 pm
I went to grumble to my physio once about a similar thing. He said "you're in your late 30s, you're trying really hard at a physical sport, and you're complaining that you're trashed afterwards? Right. Have a hot bath and a rest"

If I was trashed in the same way as everyone else seems to be I wouldn’t be concerned

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#18 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 02:21:00 pm
I have been getting some tightness in my back (although I think as much from sitting as from climbing) and have found the stretches in Beastmaking (pg 168) the ‘supine spinal stretch’ and ‘roadkill stretch’ made a huge amount of difference. As usual with stretching it needs to be regular and consistent to really make a difference.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#19 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 02:50:54 pm

If I was trashed in the same way as everyone else seems to be I wouldn’t be concerned

Climb faster? Yoga session each day post climbing?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 03:31:58 pm
Do you use any of the following for your back; regular sports massage, muscle hook, foam roller, hockey ball, zen viber massager?

FWIW after a hard session i often have soreness from lats through shoulders and down to middle back, but nothing in the rest of the arms, but often stiff and clicky fingers.

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#21 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 04:17:07 pm

I find that the long drive to Spain and living out of a van can cause my back issues to return. On recent tips I have found that Romanian Deadlift (RDL) work for me. I look for the perfect boulder either at the crag or at our regular parking spot and do high reps rather than heavy weight. My soreness is in the lower back, your issues may be different.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#22 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 05:08:58 pm
Thanks guys. I’m going to try some mobility stuff at end of day at the crag and then the massage ball when I get home (rather than slumping on a sofa) to see if it stops my back seizing up. If that doesn’t work I’ll go through the other suggestions till I hit gold.

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#23 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 05:15:55 pm
I've just watched a good detailed video about the The Romanian Deadlift (RDL) which states that it isn't really a deadlift at all as the weight should never touch the floor. Try it, what could possibly go wrong?

abarro81

• forum hero
#24 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 05:34:07 pm
Start very gentle with the massage if you have any chronic pain issues in the back, otherwise you'll just piss it off.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#25 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 05:48:07 pm
I've just watched a good detailed video about the The Romanian Deadlift (RDL) which states that it isn't really a deadlift at all as the weight should never touch the floor. Try it, what could possibly go wrong?

I’ll look out for a suitable rock at the crag

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 12, 2022, 09:58:57 pm
The Si O'Connor workout :)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#27 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 18, 2022, 02:29:04 pm

I always get this and did throughout my 30s. If I go for a hard day climbing my back and shoulders are always super sore the next day. Feel stiff and tired. Doesn't feel like DOMS to me which I was used to from weightlifting days.

I think it is to do with tightness/instability in some postural muscles leading to over-compensation from other muscles.
I've never solved the problem and tend to just live with it but I am one of the most injury prone people I know so not a good benchmark. The mobility exercises people are suggesting seem like a good shout.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#28 Re: Post climbing soreness
January 18, 2022, 02:47:41 pm
I’ve been doing a few mobility exercises before leaving crag and when getting back to our accommodation and it seems to be working

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal