UKBouldering.com

Gozo for a holiday? (Read 1847 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Gozo for a holiday?
January 03, 2022, 11:26:29 pm
Anyone care to proffer an opinion on the suitability for Gozo as a holiday destination for a family with a collection of young teenage kids?
Doesn’t need to be lively but nice beaches/swimming and reasonable food.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 04, 2022, 08:51:49 am
Anyone care to proffer an opinion on the suitability for Gozo as a holiday destination for a family with a collection of young teenage kids?
Under Covid? No idea.
Place is fantastic though. Diving and snorkelling is excellent. Inland sea is worth the trip alone. Swimming out through the cave and over the drop off is vertigo inducing. Never climbed there, but if there isn’t a wealth of DWS I’d be shocked.
Caveat. I’ve not been out for years, despite having family there. My sister did the rounds a few years back and is still in love with the place. It’s high on my list for this summer as soon as I sort my leave schedule.
[ https://www.google.com/search?q=gozo+inland+sea&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB776GB776&hl=en-GB&prmd=imnxv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjA34yS3Jf1AhWQNcAKHb15Bn8Q_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=1194&bih=707&dpr=2

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#2 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 04, 2022, 09:26:39 am
I’ve not been, yet, but I’ve heard on good authority that Gozo is a brilliant place to visit and it has over 50 excellent sport climbs in the 8th grade.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 04, 2022, 09:28:20 am
You can go hang out with Haston and rant together about the false "scamdemic"  :o

Gozo is very small, very scenic on the coast - more dramatic cliff-lines than beaches though. Where you can get in the swimming should be great and it's easy to swap from one side to the other to get the best sea conditions. I'm sure the food is good in a typical Med stylee. Very easy to flit back and forth to Malta which has more going on and more beaches.

There's nice easy sport climbing too.

Ged

• junky
#4 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 04, 2022, 10:48:38 am

This isn't much use for a family holiday I guess, but I remember reading about Tommy Caldwell and sonnie trotter doing something exciting out there recently... https://sonnietrotter.com/2014/02/01/return-to-malta/

sheavi

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 04, 2022, 11:50:56 am
As others have said Gozo is fantastic.  I've been many times. Great beach at Ramla and a lovely little one at San Blas.  Other nice bays for snorkelling/diving. I've done a bit of DWS but no sport climbs/routes. Lots of info on the internet.

Potash

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 04, 2022, 01:51:14 pm
I went to Malta & Gozo a couple of years ago just pre-pandemic.

We thought the climbing was entertaining, nothing totally amazing but a reasonable amount of quite nice. Some of the holds were a bit sharp though! If you like sharp, crimpy, short limestone then its great.

Dropping down into the Underworld was a good day out with dubious rock, spaced bolting and massive overhangs proving a daunting prospect. That crag is probably not a good choice for taking a collection of teenage kids (unless you want to loose some) and had a sort of sport climbing meets Gogarth feel to it.

Did a few good sea level traverse DWS which were great and similar to the Magical Mystery Tour at Berry Head. We failed to find any significant up DWS though.

If travelling from Malta then there was an amazing sink hole/crag/cave with lots of quality 7s & 8s in it not far from the ferry on the island of Malta.

I thought the food was average at best and much of the coast is rocky not beachy and if you are there in December the water is quite cold. We did see a good octopus and the snorkelling was amazing.

There is a sport guide available. I have photos of the key pages of the older trad guide which describes the DWS traverses and some other bits and can share them if you are interested.

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 05, 2022, 01:31:20 pm
Thank you, the UKB hive mind is helpful as ever  :2thumbsup:

chriss

• stalker
#8 Re: Gozo for a holiday?
January 05, 2022, 05:12:23 pm
 I went a few years ago with my wife for a non climbing holiday. As many have said was a nice island, I did a fair bit of cliff top running as it was more my thing at the time. Beaches are nice, sea was clean.

We stayed at a posh-ish boutique place & were recommended some great restaurants.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal