the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Climbers recovering from covid

<< < (30/30)

kelvin:

--- Quote from: slab_happy on March 15, 2024, 12:53:06 pm ---

People have coined the phrase "toxic positivity" to describe the pressure to only feel and display positive emotions at all times, and discussed how that can lead to blaming yourself if you can't be perfectly positive about everything:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_positivity

--- End quote ---

I spend a lot of time on the often toxic Twitter and 'toxic positivity' comes up all the time. Mostly in reference to family or friends trying to jolly you along, which is frustrating as f@#k. I speak from personal experience and nothing triggers me more
It's hard to hear it's going to be okay when you actually have no idea if it is.
I think perhaps it's best I clarify that when I talk about positivity, it's that internal never gave up attitude I have inside of me. I'm sure everyone has a very different position on what internal positivity is as it relates to them personally.
If you suffer from serious depression like my sister and stepdaughter, then it's never going to be as easy - my sister's version of positivity is very different to mine, we spoke at length about this. Hers is far more about managing to tread water.

As Shurt said, recovery is a very personal thing and for me, that has to include positivity because that's been me as a person all my life.

slab_happy:

--- Quote from: kelvin on March 15, 2024, 01:37:07 pm ---
--- Quote from: slab_happy on March 15, 2024, 12:53:06 pm ---

People have coined the phrase "toxic positivity" to describe the pressure to only feel and display positive emotions at all times, and discussed how that can lead to blaming yourself if you can't be perfectly positive about everything:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_positivity

--- End quote ---

I spend a lot of time on the often toxic Twitter and 'toxic positivity' comes up all the time. Mostly in reference to family or friends trying to jolly you along, which is frustrating as f@#k. I speak from personal experience and nothing triggers me more
It's hard to hear it's going to be okay when you actually have no idea if it is.
I think perhaps it's best I clarify that when I talk about positivity, it's that internal never gave up attitude I have inside of me. I'm sure everyone has a very different position on what internal positivity is as it relates to them personally.
If you suffer from serious depression like my sister and stepdaughter, then it's never going to be as easy - my sister's version of positivity is very different to mine, we spoke at length about this. Hers is far more about managing to tread water.

As Shurt said, recovery is a very personal thing and for me, that has to include positivity because that's been me as a person all my life.

--- End quote ---

Very much agreed -- I think there's a huge difference between trying to find that internal source of resilience and survival, whatever that means for you personally (and yeah, some days treading water is a win), and the external pressure to "think positive! It'll all be fine!".

shurt:
Hey Kelvin, I'm really glad to hear you are on the up and feeling like you're going to get back to some semblance of normality. It sounds like it's taken a lot of work which I get. I'm glad you very found some support on here. It's much needed and fuck me you find out who your friends are.

slab_happy
I'm not really too sure how it went from my post to toxic positivity compete with wikipedia link but there you go. I'm glad it was sort of cleared up afterwards. I decided right from the start that I wasn't going to be ill forever and was going to throw everything at getting better. That to me was being positive. I've had depression on and off for over 30 years so am hardly the type to be telling people to slap on a smile.

mrjonathanr:
Hi Shurt, given the issues raised by Monbiot’s article and the physiological vs psychological debate around CFS, slab-happy’s post makes perfect sense. I didn’t read any criticism of your post in that, but a differentiation from some of the less helpful ideas around the role of psychological outlook in recovery.

The Guardian published letter responses to the article, for those interested.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/15/why-mecfs-is-still-so-poorly-researched-and-treated

Most are positive, including one from Dr Charles Shepherd. Shepherd has been medical advisor to the ME Society for many years and written and researched extensively on the condition.
https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shepherd

webbo:
I don’t know whether this has been mentioned on here but the Nuffield have a free long Covid scheme. I don’t know any details but it is mentioned when you ring their hospital switch board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version