the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Climbers recovering from covid

(1/30) > >>

seankenny:

--- Quote from: Fiend on December 29, 2021, 01:28:17 pm ---I think it would be well worth starting a "Climbers recovering from covid" thread, to cover the immediate states afterwards as well as long dong covid potential. Give that quite a few people have had it and obviously want to get back to climbing effectively soon but sensibly.

--- End quote ---

:goodidea:

To kick this off, here's what's happened to me. I covid back in March 2020, ill for a month but fine generally fine afterwards. In Aug/Sept '21 I got some kind of virus that wasn't covid (took a test), got better then got sick again, which could have been covid (didn't bother to test that one). Thought I was getting better, went to the wall for a quick bouldering session, put myself in bed for several days. After a couple of weeks I felt much better and tried an hour's walking, same thing again.

Had an x-ray, which found nothing, doctor has tentatively diagnosed long covid, although I also had a vitamin D deficiency, the pills for that have definitely helped but I'm still fairly unwell. I can do very small fingerboarding sessions but I can't really walk for more than half an hour and if I stack up too much effort in one day I have to take to my bed. However, compared to some people's symptoms mine are pretty mild and I'm reasonably confident I'll make a good recovery, but I have no idea how long that will take.

It would be great to hear others' experiences.

Fultonius:
I got Covid end of March 2020, mainly confirmed by the presence of "Covid toes" later that spring. No ill effects until Oct 2020, no idea if I got re-exposed or what happened, but I was up and down for 6 weeks. I had a week's holiday where I was fine one day, and then next could barely string a sentence together / bother my arse doing much other than gentle walks.

Then had 2 weeks where I had to lie down in a dark room after about 45 mins of work as I just had overwhelming brain fog and really poor cognitive ability, it was like I was about 40% as intelligent as normal. Pretty scary, but settled after a few more weeks of taking it easy and treating it like a brain injury. Still no idea if it was linked, or some other issue.

Got Covid AGAIN (no idea where from, not been super cautious, but also not been out to pubs/busy places all that much etc. - perhaps the guy behind us coughing on the bus to Edinburgh airport, with no mask on...). Fairly mild second time round, and managed a PB onsight a few days after so can't have been too debilitating. No ill effects this time round, except for a lingering tickly cough.

Oh, and over the last 5 years by heart PR int has gone up from 189ms to 206ms, which nudges it just over into 1st degree heart block, the joys. Again, no idea if linked, or stress, or aging, or just a fact of life. Still, pushed back my booster to 24th of Jan instead of 28th of December to minimise any potential additional heart stress, as it's known to cause myocarditis in some people. (not a Drs rec, just my own judgement).

Easy to throw every ailment into the covid basket, but on the other hand it is a shitty fucking disease. Wishing anyone with longer term issues a speedy recovery, but also urge to take it easy on yourself and not push too hard.

jwi:
This might be of interest

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/01/08/for-elite-footballers-the-effects-of-covid-19-linger-for-months

(Months after infection, elite football players play fewer minutes and complete fewer passes than never infected players)

abarro81:
God, that's depressing...

I'm now 3 weeks out from getting it. Feeling ok for short strength sessions but can't do big sessions or endurance sessions yet. Recovery is terrible between sessions, which may partly be due to disrupted sleep which seems ongoing... That said, I set a campus PB the other day, felt like how Rustam (allegedly) must feel - strong but also like I might pass out after every effort  :lol:

Predictably, it seems like the less full-body the better, so things like pickups on two fingers (where you're not picking up much weight or stressing big muscles) are a better bet than hangs, which are a better bet than bouldering, which is a better bet than getting pumped... Taking a nap immediately after any exercise (even just lying down in bed for 20 min but not sleeping) seems to help things.

More unpredictably, both me and my wife felt like we recovered fine about a week after getting it and then dropped on a cliff and had some kind of relapse in the next 5-10 days, so others getting it might want to watch out for that even if you feel like you're recovering well. Mine was after climbing (I assume I did too much), but hers was after a rest day so less obvious what caused it.

Ged:
Feel free to totally ignore this of course, a d sorry for being a random person on the Internet telling you what to do, but...

It really sounds like you should back off a bit. I know a couple of people who have/had long covid, and they all attribute it to doing too much too soon. If you're still feeling the effects, which it sounds like you are, maybe just do nothing for a bit longer. Doing anything that is leaving you feeling that wasted sounds like a really high risk of making it drag on for much, much longer than it needs to.

Sorry for the preach, and obviously this is just anecdotal stuff, but if you were my mate/family member, I'd be really begging you to stop for a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version