UKBouldering.com

Best of 2021 (Read 27288 times)

remus

• forum hero
#25 Re: Best of 2021
December 29, 2021, 07:13:58 pm
Remus, what about your top Geekiest Listage??

You couldn't possibly expect me to choose between them?! That's like asking who is the favorite child...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#26 Re: Best of 2021
December 29, 2021, 07:33:48 pm
That Lexicon fall analysis in "units of Ste Mac" must win some sort of award....

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#27 Re: Best of 2021
December 29, 2021, 10:31:10 pm
The biggest climbing revelation for me this year has been limestone bouldering. Having never bothered due to all the bad reviews it gets, i was surprised to find that I really enjoy it, just as much if not more than grit, and the best boulders I did this year were on lime!

Top three lime boulder problems

Synesthesia, Lound Hill

Long and varied, starting with toe/heel hook roof moves down low, to big crimpy throws at the lip, to techy locky vert moves high up before topping out. Good throughout on skin friendly rock and high enough to be a bit spicy. Favourite problem of the year. Preferred it only slightly more than colour of the sky, which it breaks off from half way up.

Elysium, Smeaton Edge

Immaculate rock, good line, good moves, tops out and reasonably high.

Midnight Caller, Earth Quarry

Climbs more like grit but skin friendly and doesnt need connies! Techy slopey moves up a good line. Felt soft to me, but lank & style.

Honourable mentions to white rabbit right hand (with topout!) On the Hueco boulder and Sheep Shifter at Cave Dale.

Top three grit boulder problems

Birdsong, Bradley Edge

Very unusual crux sequence - kneebar gaston crossover release! First time using a kneepad and performing a somewhat techy kneebar. Got some good shoulder doms following this one!

Archemedes, Norwood Edge

I had a bit of a battle linking this one despite it not being particularly power endurancy and slapping the top on my first session. I think it took 5 sessions in the end! This would be an absolute classic problem if it wasn't for the stepped landing situation, but it has nice movement, a hard crux and the rock is nowhere near as hideous as the rest of the crag.

Brass monkeys, Stanage

This couldn't suit me more. Quintessential roof compression. Didn't even try to not cut on the move. Class!

Top feats of strength

Freestanding handstand pressups - this was a challenge for the year and I managed to get them done on the floor and raised on paralettes.

Deadlift - since I began climbing 6 years ago I haven't trained these, or any similar exercises, but I still try a heavy lift every now and then just to see whether ive still got it. 200kg went up and it wasn't max. Job done.

Iron cross (progress) - no tick yet, but I can do a very slow negative on fully locked out arms, with a brief pause in the full cross position.

Top Spankings

Finger strength - up down up down up down. Despite seemingly able to just get stronger as I please in any muscle not related to finger strength, I just can't seem to make consistent progress that sticks with standard fingerboard protocols or any of the other wacky experiments I've tried.

Heaven in your hands - i've put more time into other climbs that ive not yet done, but armed with the knowledge HIYH is only 7B+ according to Will*, I went with decent connies, and the expectation that I'd probably get it done in the session. However, 3 hours later, i'd still barely got more than 3 moves in, and with 5 split tips, that was the end of my grit season.

*Yes I should have known better.

Side splits - glacial progress with 3 pulled muscles throughout the year. Maybe next year...

Top tactics

Portable fan - bouldered all summer and climbed a 7C sloper problem when it was 29°C (also see below).

Antihydral - this was a miracle cream through summer. I can honestly say I got up things that I wouldn't have done without it. I'm having to find the right balance now it's winter but this will forever remain in my bag of tricks.

Kneepad - I have strong, heavy legs and calfs, so it's nice thay they're no longer just dead weight sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:36:48 pm by Liamhutch89 »

Wood FT

• forum hero
#28 Re: Best of 2021
December 29, 2021, 10:45:14 pm
Apologies for the long and media-heavy post but this felt like writing a blog which I used to enjoy very much. I stopped climbing outside in September as we had our first child so I’ve climbed inside sporadically since then. Have I missed outdoor climbing? Not as much as I thought I would.

Top 4 boulder problems:  :strongbench:

Jack The Nipper 7B+, Anston.
Often in good condition during the winter months, I spent a few sessions down here under the big roof of Hidden Wall. Such was the ambience of the place in the low winter sun, I even enticed the Tor bound Shark for a session. This was lucky for me because he attempted an alternative sequence to the conventional big-slap method and I managed to climb the problem the following week using his beta. Thanks, Shark. My first of the grade and a lovely problem from Mike Adams too. Named after his son I believe.

Lightworker 7B, Levitt Hagg.
It took quite a few trips to find the big prow in condition but when I did, it didn’t disappoint. What a big lump! We glued a crucial hold into place which felt silly at the time, given the esoteric nature of the climb but it proved wise as the problem is now deservedly very popular and even featured in the popular YouTube series ‘Bouldering Bobat’ which isn’t to my taste, so here is my video of it instead /ego

Hermit Arete SS 7B, St. Anchorites Rock.
Since my regular Devon trips started, I had wanted to find the perculiar lump of shist named the Hermit rock because it’s so close to my girlfriend’s family home. Ten minutes off classic narrow lanes deposits you parallel to the Southwest coastal path on a rather unmanaged section of it, given the many brambles (two pads is a nightmare through the plentiful stiles!) The ‘path’ up to boulder was completely overgrown and I started to question myself as a) it was midsummer and I’d already run out of water and b) it’s a Ted Kingsnorth first ascent, the keeper of the crimp. I pressed on, using my pad to surf jump the top of the shoulder-high thorn bushes, and made it to my own private summit. Luckily for me, I found an easier sequence (perhaps Ted was in holiday mode) and I got to climb the whole boulder. I scratched my way out and walked back to the van along the busy coastal path. I finished the day by driving to my favourite Devon crag (Torbryan) and doing some classics with a local mate.

Mo’s Undercut 7B+, Sprotbrough.

I had been biggin’ up the delights of Sprotty to all and sundry so it was with some glee that a bunch of friends arrived to check out its esoteric grips. I managed this on the day after a few sessions of failure, said friends then mostly all flashed it which made me doubt the grade but not the quality. If you haven’t been, check out Sprotbrough. Big shout out to Mike Adams for services to Maglime and Carl for the esoteric renaissance.

Top 3 Sport Routes:  :weakbench:

Drowning On Dry Land, 6c. Cheyne Cliff.
During a smeggy Dorset trip. A long, winding route with continuous interest and a big feel as you move around onto the arete. It’s just a shame the ledge is not long for this earth as the area feels slightly unstable.

Hard Torque 8a+, Lammergeyer Buttress WCJ.
A wonderful short new route from Kristian Clemmow. Sustained side pulls and crimps. I can’t categorically say that it is my first of the grade as the opinion of some is that it may be easier, at least on the Peak Lime scale. At this same crag, I enjoyed Vindicator but was quickly shot down by The Fall. I will focus on short routes next year. I’m at the end of this video, briefly.

Space Race 7b+, Malham Cove.
Had to stick this in as I had two bolt-2-bolt epics on it years ago where I was completely gripped and wanted to leave the crag once I came down. To climb such a brilliant route with ease and grace was a pleasure, even if I do say so myself.

Top 3 Rugby Games:  :popcorn:

England 27 vs South Africa 26
Revenge! Once slow coach Youngs had gone off (after a good game tbf) Raffi came on to complete this new-look England led by the electric Harlequin’s flyhalf, Marcus Smith. I am left feeling very positive about England Rugby with this team selection.
France 40 vs All Blacks 25
The rugby moment of 2021 was Ntamack running it from his own try-line into a no-look pass. Pure French chaos.

Exeter Chiefs 18 vs Saracens 15
A poor start to the season but pulled it together, for one game at least, against our arch-rivals.

Top Spankings::spank:

GBH.
 – How many years have I written this one down now? I started again in March, feeling stronger and more fluid on all the moves. Quickly built fitness and fell off with fingers rattling through the flake which marks the end of the hard climbing. Left it for the week after and spent the whole week visualising success, to the extent that I was talking up my chances of pushing on through the Well Dunne finish above. What a fool. Life became very challenging at work and I returned to Malham the following weekend pretty much hollowed out and clinging on to the positive distraction the big tick might be. I progressively fell lower and lower down on my RPs, finally falling lower than I ever have. Given my week at work previous, the seasoned redpointer would discount this session and move on. I just couldn’t face it again. There is no joy in going through the motions except on the toilet. I had a very quick go later in the year when a friend was on it but the sting of the holds just returned bad feelings. It is a brilliant route to try and I will always like to climb the whole thing but for now, I am not rounded enough for the style and pressure.

Mark of the Beast.
– A very different spanking was had here, positively S&M levels of enjoyment. Baby due imminently, I put all my eggs in one basket and spent 7 days in Dorset in August trying to get this done. Unfortunately, the smeg took away 5 of those days where I could only look at it from the ledge. However, come the bank holiday (and a DWS crew that could be entered into the hall of soup-based fame) I was getting on it, culminating in a fall 4 hand moves from the top (one move up from the slim pocket for those who know). I am extremely happy to have got there, throwing drop-knees in, committing to the route and a big, safe drop into the ocean. I drove home, sated. 

The decline of my climbing and rise in weight during early fatherhood.
I just haven’t found a way to juggle climbing yet but he’s only 3 months old so we are still just finding out feet. A mate has done me a plan for the new year, something I’ve never done, so we’ll see if I can keep on track. The weight gain is just the fact I’m sat down more, I’m drinking more and I’m getting older. I can control two of those things.

Well done on another year for the covid history books (the kind you skip or draw pictures on in school because it was quite dull).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:51:26 pm by Wood FT »

edshakey

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Best of 2021
December 29, 2021, 11:11:29 pm
Antihydral - this was a miracle cream through summer. I can honestly say I got up things that I wouldn't have done without it. I'm having to find the right balance now it's winter but this will forever remain in my bag of tricks.

Can you expand on this at all? What you use, how often (regularly or based on when you need it), etc? Or even just where you learned it from!

I've got very sweaty fingers and have entertained this idea but know very little about it, so trying to gather a bit of knowledge, see if it would be worth it for me to explore properly.

If anyone else has similar advice to give, I'd love to hear it too, but don't want to derail the thread 
:off:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#30 Re: Best of 2021
December 29, 2021, 11:20:42 pm

Can you expand on this at all? What you use, how often (regularly or based on when you need it), etc? Or even just where you learned it from!

I've got very sweaty fingers and have entertained this idea but know very little about it, so trying to gather a bit of knowledge, see if it would be worth it for me to explore properly.

If anyone else has similar advice to give, I'd love to hear it too, but don't want to derail the thread 

I've got a spare tube you can have

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#31 Re: Best of 2021
December 29, 2021, 11:39:29 pm

If you know you have sweaty tips then based on my experience you should 100% be giving it a try. I'd say naturally my skin is moderate in terms of wetness, but as I'm a heavy lump and like boning down on crimps, the extra toughness that comes with the dryness from antihydral is great. 2 or 3 x per week through summer. I'm preferring 1x per week now it's cold but still experimenting. Be warned its pretty rubbish for smooth wood holds but that's just training, right?

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#32 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 08:29:50 am
Bit of a weird year, moved from Yorkshire after 10 years and moved back to the homeland to be closer to the fam. Massively miss Yorkshire but loving the lakes and running.

Top 5 boulders

Bouldering wise spent a lot of my time at the Bowderstone as I basically used it as my board/training.

Howling at the moon 8A, Great Wolfrey. big walk in, big wall, big line

Durham edition 8A, Flasby- mainly because I tried it a few times in the past and it felt nails. A basic as it comes and very unusual for grit. Doesn’t get much attention either.

Omega 8A, Chevin- another one that doesn’t get much attention and possibly second ascent. Fun times with James and Buck.

Stefan Grossman Sit 8A, langdale- randomly went after a failed mission to coniston. Never thought I could do the sit but Jonesy and I worked out some new beta which unlocked it for me.

Muffin Top 7C+, Garheugh- had a great family beach trip to the D&G coast. This thing is class.

Top 5 FA’s

Enjoyed doing a bit of development this year, I did get retro claimed a few times which was pretty funny.

Earn your stripes 8A, Small water- an newly discovered wall next to small water above Haweswater. Amazing wall, added a few things, this being the best.

Shadows, 8A, Pentire- some debate about this and the FA, nevertheless awesome little problem on a steep arete/prow.

Verna 7C+, Mardale head- another new venue discovered near Haweswater. Fun little steep wall. Named after my Gran who passed away earlier in the year.

To the moon 8A- Great wolfrey, shameless link up on the wolfrey wall, but combines to fantastic boulders.

Hell hath no fury 8A+,Hell moss, again debated FA (someone might have done it a day before), anyway totally basic board problem, good fun.

Top 3- Trad routes

Intended to do more… started well with backing off an E2!!

Scallop E7 or 7B boulder, Armathwaite- not sure what this is but it utterly amazing sandstone slab. Proper friction slab climbing!

Exorcist E4, Armathwaite- always wanted to do this as a kid, cool to do this with Alex and Birkett.

Geronimo E7, Shephards- another one we always looked at as kids. Cool route made even scary by cal belaying one handed with a broken wrist!!

Life

Eventually bought a house. What a crazy time to buy a house.

Expecting our second child in May. Exciting times.

Did quite a bit of running this year. Enjoyed it.

RobK

• stalker
#33 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 08:43:29 am

I tried this after Liam mentioned it on Power Club and it is an absolute game changer. Just a case of experimenting with what works for you. For perhaps the first time ever on a trip, when I went to Leonidio a few months back, my skin was not a limiting factor.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#34 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 08:55:00 am
What product are people using? I thought it was all dodgy unmarked packages you had to get off the dark web.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#35 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 09:05:49 am
Yeah it’s just called antihydral you can buy it off ebay or Amazon, also saw this link after a quick Google but looks too cheap to be true! https://www.pharmasana.co.uk/antihydral-salbe-70-g-00052729

One tube lasts years so works out v well price wise next to the Rhino stuff that has a lower percentage of the active ingredient.

Dialling in how often to use is key and this varies massively from person to person and throughout the year. For ref to compare to Liam I use around every 10 days in the summer and monthly, if at all in the winter. Better to err on the side of too little as your skin just starts sweating again, if you use too much you can get deep cracks in the skin.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#36 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 09:15:34 am
Often in good condition during the winter months, I spent a few sessions down here under the big roof of Hidden Wall. Such was the ambience of the place in the low winter sun, I even enticed the Tor bound Shark for a session. This was lucky for me because he attempted an alternative sequence to the conventional big-slap method and I managed to climb the problem the following week using his beta. Thanks, Shark. My first of the grade and a lovely problem from Mike Adams too. Named after his son I believe.

What's the alternative sequence?  I've tried this a few times - feels pretty trivial getting my LH on the "sugar cube" hold but the thought of that big uncontrolled slap freaks me out and I always retreat.

Re anti-hydral - it can be effective but you have to be careful.  Previous applications have made my skin so thick and leathery it lost friction (and that's with washing off after 10 minutes).  And, while the tips became tougher, if they did get cut, they seemed to take overly long to heal.  I still occasionally risk the stuff before extended trips (long weekends when I intend to boulder every day) but sometimes regret it when I end up dry firing off every hold!  A caveat with the above though is that I have very dry skin - I tried anti-hydral for the toughening properties rather than any sweatiness issues.

ummagumma

• regular
#37 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 09:59:20 am

Re anti-hydral - it can be effective but you have to be careful.  Previous applications have made my skin so thick and leathery it lost friction (and that's with washing off after 10 minutes).  And, while the tips became tougher, if they did get cut, they seemed to take overly long to heal.  I still occasionally risk the stuff before extended trips (long weekends when I intend to boulder every day) but sometimes regret it when I end up dry firing off every hold!  A caveat with the above though is that I have very dry skin - I tried anti-hydral for the toughening properties rather than any sweatiness issues.

Re: caveat and reporting for the sweaty tips ( :wall:) contingent, anti-hydral is godsend for sweaty skin and more importantly longer skin durability.

Regarding original question on use, it's a good idea to under apply at first and built up as appropriate. I apply in the evening before climbing and don't need to apply much. I apply to the 1st pad and tip of finger all the way to the nail - you want the contact area with rock not to have a hardness boundary edge. The effect is dry and tough skin. On climbing day I found my skin a little 'glassy' at first but gets better over time... and way better than wet skin that tears up in no time. Been using it for 10 years now but generally only use it on trips or weekends where I am outdoors bouldering/climbing.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#38 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 04:20:56 pm
Top 1 boulder problems
Apex, Sally in the Woods. Another candidate for surprisingly decent crags, screw your eyes up really tightly and you could almost be in Fontainebleau. Hat-tip to grimer, Boulder Britain pointed me here and several other places I'd never have considered.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsWA_4DphO/?utm_medium=copy_link

Top 3 ‘new’ boulder problems
Taking the Waters and others on Knightstone Island. Rediscovered some youthful potterings, no retro-claims yet!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRKNtnYDWOb/?utm_medium=copy_link

Top 3 Sport Routes with ukb contributors
Armistice Day at The Cornice, with csl. Several visits here whilst house-hunting, as much fun for the social event as the climbing.
Do You Think I’m 6c, at Nudey Cliff, with Fiend. Sport climbing for die-hard trad. climbers and jungle explorers. Slightly disappointed to not see a Pterodactyl. 
Megalithic Man, at Horseshoe, with shark. Snatched an afternoon of decent climbing from a very unpromising day. Pleasantly surprised how good the main wall was here.

Top 3 Trad. Routes
A low water for trad. climbing in general, didn't have the mental bandwidth to push myself for much of the time. These two trips and one to The Pass stand out like car headlights on an dark country road.
Shibboleth with Wil. The perfect route for me: history, a tick, off-vertical, bold in places, brilliant.
Ichabod and Central Buttress with Hugo. A great day and a great weekend camped up high on Scafell.

Top 3 surprisingly decent crags I’d not been to before 2021
This could easily be expanded, the silver lining of the first year spent entirely in the UK since the late 90s.
Llanymynech Quarry. Not even on my radar before this year. So big it straddles two countries and very decent for the connoisseur of easy vertical sport climbing (like me).
Culver Cove: North Somerset esoterica with knobs on: a 25’ high 45 degree wall of sandstone, absolutely nothing like anything else in the area.
Raven Tor. It’s not bad and could become quite popular with a bit more publicity. Fell off the same move at 15’ several times and then went home. Felt like I fitted in immediately!

Top 3 spankings
Foil - one hand on the (wrong part of the) top of the crag. The only time I tried hard on a trad. route all year and it was very satisfying. Don’t know why I didn’t do more of this, well I do, and I’ll be trying a bit more in 2022.
Covid - pretty obvious but has to be said. Thought I was going down the chronic fatigue path for a couple of months but very fortunately dodged that one. Still running out of puff a lot easier than BC. I’m a whole lot better off than many and it shouldn’t affect rock climbing much. Good job I’m not a fell runner or mountaineer.
The Move Out Of London - got almost as close as on Foil and but consumed considerably more time, mental energy, and money.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#39 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 04:31:51 pm

What's the alternative sequence?  I've tried this a few times - feels pretty trivial getting my LH on the "sugar cube" hold but the thought of that big uncontrolled slap freaks me out and I always retreat.

Take the sugar cube as a gaston with RH, high LF and LH roll over to a pinch, RF into big pocket (quite blind) and slap for sloper with RH. Finish as normal with a silent nod to Shark and Robin Barker.

iain

• forum abuser
#40 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 05:06:52 pm
This is my favourite thread of the year, lots of inspiration for the year ahead.

Thoughts for those going through shitness, and very cool to read about those getting out the other side.

I learned it from Fiend via his blogpost many years ago and started with what he did. Don't use it at all in winter to 2-3 times a week midsummer and it works a treat:
https://fiendophobia.blogspot.com/2017/06/keeping-it-dry.html

and @Wood FT, thanks for the beta, was going to ask but moose beat me to it.

remus

• forum hero
#41 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 05:07:15 pm
Top 1 boulder problems
Apex, Sally in the Woods. Another candidate for surprisingly decent crags, screw your eyes up really tightly and you could almost be in Fontainebleau. Hat-tip to grimer, Boulder Britain pointed me here and several other places I'd never have considered.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNsWA_4DphO/?utm_medium=copy_link

That's some impressive imagination you've got, not sure anyone's made the comparison between sally and font before! :lol:

Ged

• junky
#42 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 05:17:29 pm
Apologies for the long and media-heavy post but this felt like writing a blog which I used to enjoy very much. I stopped climbing outside in September as we had our first child so I’ve climbed inside sporadically since then. Have I missed outdoor climbing? Not as much as I thought I would.

It took quite a few trips to find the big prow in condition but when I did, it didn’t disappoint. What a big lump! We glued a crucial hold into place which felt silly at the time, given the esoteric nature of the climb but it proved wise as the problem is now deservedly very popular and even featured in the popular YouTube series ‘Bouldering Bobat’ which isn’t to my taste, so here is my video of it instead /ego

Since my regular Devon trips started, I had wanted to find the perculiar lump of shist named the Hermit rock because it’s so close to my girlfriend’s family home. Ten minutes off classic narrow lanes deposits you parallel to the Southwest coastal path on a rather unmanaged section of it, given the many brambles (two pads is a nightmare through the plentiful stiles!) The ‘path’ up to boulder was completely overgrown and I started to question myself as a) it was midsummer and I’d already run out of water and b) it’s a Ted Kingsnorth first ascent, the keeper of the crimp. I pressed on, using my pad to surf jump the top of the shoulder-high thorn bushes, and made it to my own private summit. Luckily for me, I found an easier sequence (perhaps Ted was in holiday mode) and I got to climb the whole boulder. I scratched my way out and walked back to the van along the busy coastal path. I finished the day by driving to my favourite Devon crag (Torbryan) and doing some classics with a local mate.

I had been biggin’ up the delights of Sprotty to all and sundry so it was with some glee that a bunch of friends arrived to check out its esoteric grips. I managed this on the day after a few sessions of failure, said friends then mostly all flashed it which made me doubt the grade but not the quality. If you haven’t been, check out Sprotbrough. Big shout out to Mike Adams for services to Maglime and Carl for the esoteric renaissance.

During a smeggy Dorset trip. A long, winding route with continuous interest and a big feel as you move around onto the arete. It’s just a shame the ledge is not long for this earth as the area feels slightly unstable.

A wonderful short new route from Kristian Clemmow. Sustained side pulls and crimps. I can’t categorically say that it is my first of the grade as the opinion of some is that it may be easier, at least on the Peak Lime scale. At this same crag, I enjoyed Vindicator but was quickly shot down by The Fall. I will focus on short routes next year. I’m at the end of this video, briefly.

Had to stick this in as I had two bolt-2-bolt epics on it years ago where I was completely gripped and wanted to leave the crag once I came down. To climb such a brilliant route with ease and grace was a pleasure, even if I do say so myself.

Revenge! Once slow coach Youngs had gone off (after a good game tbf) Raffi came on to complete this new-look England led by the electric Harlequin’s flyhalf, Marcus Smith. I am left feeling very positive about England Rugby with this team selection.
The rugby moment of 2021 was Ntamack running it from his own try-line into a no-look pass. Pure French chaos.

A poor start to the season but pulled it together, for one game at least, against our arch-rivals.

GBH.
 – How many years have I written this one down now? I started again in March, feeling stronger and more fluid on all the moves. Quickly built fitness and fell off with fingers rattling through the flake which marks the end of the hard climbing. Left it for the week after and spent the whole week visualising success, to the extent that I was talking up my chances of pushing on through the Well Dunne finish above. What a fool. Life became very challenging at work and I returned to Malham the following weekend pretty much hollowed out and clinging on to the positive distraction the big tick might be. I progressively fell lower and lower down on my RPs, finally falling lower than I ever have. Given my week at work previous, the seasoned redpointer would discount this session and move on. I just couldn’t face it again. There is no joy in going through the motions except on the toilet. I had a very quick go later in the year when a friend was on it but the sting of the holds just returned bad feelings. It is a brilliant route to try and I will always like to climb the whole thing but for now, I am not rounded enough for the style and pressure.

Mark of the Beast.
– A very different spanking was had here, positively S&M levels of enjoyment. Baby due imminently, I put all my eggs in one basket and spent 7 days in Dorset in August trying to get this done. Unfortunately, the smeg took away 5 of those days where I could only look at it from the ledge. However, come the bank holiday (and a DWS crew that could be entered into the hall of soup-based fame) I was getting on it, culminating in a fall 4 hand moves from the top (one move up from the slim pocket for those who know). I am extremely happy to have got there, throwing drop-knees in, committing to the route and a big, safe drop into the ocean. I drove home, sated. 

I just haven’t found a way to juggle climbing yet but he’s only 3 months old so we are still just finding out feet. A mate has done me a plan for the new year, something I’ve never done, so we’ll see if I can keep on track. The weight gain is just the fact I’m sat down more, I’m drinking more and I’m getting older. I can control two of those things.

Well done on another year for the covid history books (the kind you skip or draw pictures on in school because it was quite dull).

Re. Hermits arete, nice one. I went for a look once combined with a run along the coast. I bottled it without a pad, imagine crawling through those brambles with a broken ankle! What's the easier sequence?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#43 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 05:26:04 pm

GBH.

Mark of the Beast.

Re. Hermits arete, nice one. I went for a look once combined with a run along the coast. I bottled it without a pad, imagine crawling through those brambles with a broken ankle! What's the easier sequence?

Yeah they’d eventually just find your bones up there.

Sequence was arete then flake work up the crack just right. It’s the same as Ted’s sequence in his video but I did it in current dad form so it felt too easy for 7B. Classy moves and rock  though.

Bradders

• forum hero
#44 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 05:49:17 pm
Bit of an essay....

Top 5 Boulders
- Crusis Full, Almscliff;
I've waxed lyrical about this on here already. It really is brilliant though. Done on an utterly perfect afternoon too. I have it on video but am holding off posting it online anywhere until a few other people have done it, simply because finally figuring out what to do was such a total joy.
- Kindergarten Wall, Caley; I was there for a session on Ben's but it just wasn't happening, so had a go on this. One of those fun experiences you often get with highballs where you just get closer and closer til you do it. The successful go was proper heart in mouth stuff, popping dynamically to the pocket and just sticking it, before having to rapidly calm down for the top which was less of a path than I'd have liked, sans spotter, at the time!
- Like a Hurricane, Chevin; a nice way to check in on something else mid-Ben's-Sit-siege and find that I really was going quite well. Hard moves on this and some really small holds, so not entirely pleasant but good to know the power was there.
- The Matador, Attermire; two absolutely stunning days out with some good company (plus one wasted trip in full gop which we won't talk about) to get this done. Fantastic climbing in a beautiful spot on good rock, what more do you want?! Stupidly dropped it matching the top from the low start so will have to go back; what a chore! ;)
- Who Are We Without Moon Sit, Baildon; quite a unique problem in that climbing from the sit is almost entirely different to the stand, not to mention it being a great sequence in itself. Successful go was very memorable being one of those all too rare (for me) moments where you feel like you're off on every move, but somehow still make it to the top!

Top 5 Routes
- Daylight Robbery, Chee Dale Two Tier;
really enjoyed this one, fun powerful climbing low down into a technical little headwall sequence. A great day out too with a good mate, nice conditions, the crag to ourselves, both did the route, etc. A pair of Apache gunships flew right down the dale too, which my inner 8 year old enjoyed a lot.
- Subculture, Kilnsey; the one project I managed to get over the line. Perhaps "get better at sealing the deal" should be on my 2022 aims list. A good route anyway, great climbing all the way, and my first 8a. Particularly good to feel the progression in my endurance, as I only just about squeezed across the traverse on Slab Culture, having milked a knee bar rest, earlier in the season. To go from that to pissing it and recovering on every hold having finally got through the first 4 bolts of much harder climbing on Subculture was great.
- Comedy, Kilnsey; first 7c and it's just really good isn't it. Done quickly as well which as a boulderer was good for my ego!
- Quiet Flight Direct, Kilnsey; the rollover is maybe the best move I did on a route this season. Just perfect.
- Visitation, Kilnsey; the longest route of the year and therefore well out of my comfort zone. Great varied climbing too from the powerful start to the techy finish.

Life
- Married my wife on a beautiful day in April, having waited a full year from our original planned date in 2020. She'd sadly spent a considerable amount of time beforehand struggling with pregnancy related nausea, so the fact that she was actually well enough for it after all that made it extra special.
- The birth of our daughter Sage in September doesn't really need much more saying. She's great. Yesterday I spent an hour and a half after work just holding her whilst she slept, and was completely content; never imagined I'd do something like that before!
- That said, I'm dead pleased with how I've managed to juggle things this year. This might sound like a brag but it's not meant to, I'd really like it to be helpful to someone, and these feel like big wins which is what this thread is all about! Since Sage was born I've; climbed probably the best boulder problem I did this year, also one of my hardest of the year; managed several new fingerboard PBs; climbed the hardest problem I've done so far on my board; had one of my best ever sessions on Ben's Sit; and repeated a solid benchmark problem on the Pudsey Depot 50 on my first visit in over a year. Keeping going with my climbing was 100% the thing I worried most about with having a child, but so far, touch wood, it's manageable. Working from home and having my shed are both massively helpful here; fingers crossed the former sticks around.

Top Spankings
- Ben's Groove Sit, Caley;
where to start! 20 sessions this year, to add to the 9 from previous years. For most of those it felt like it could go at any attempt, so I told myself to just keep turning up. In hindsight I wonder whether a better tactic might have been to go to it one session in three or four maybe. The stats are a bit ridiculous; I've done the stand c. 60-70 times, fallen off in the stand or on the transition into it c. 20 times, did it from 3 moves in to the top 9 or 10 times. But just could not get it done. Again, sealing the deal is maybe something to work on! The big positive was sharing so much of it on Instagram stories, with loads of people chipping in with support, encouragement and heckling. I do think when I next go back I'll keep it to myself though, as I wonder whether this added pressure in the end. And I suppose I can't complain too much about having such an incredible problem still to do at my local crag.
- Dominatrix, Kilnsey; only had two goes on it but it makes the list just because my first go up was so awful. Came down slagging the route off to all and sundry, wanting to quit sport climbing. Massively out of my comfort zone this but would like to have a rematch next season. This is what I visualise during aerocap sessions now.
- Keelhaul, Almscliff; a bit annoying as it's the obvious "achievable on paper" 8 that I've not done at the Cliff, but for the life of me I just cannot seem to do the big move to the lip. Especially frustrating as the climbing either side of that move feels very repeatable, and everyone else seems to do it without too much trouble.
- Blockhead, Chee Dale Two Tier; felt like I ought to be able to do this quickly, as it's basically just a long boulder problem (I managed to put in all the quickdraws, bar the lower off, from the ground!), but ended up having 3 sessions and didn't do it. To be fair 2 of those were after having done other things, and the other was on a warm day with the sun threatening, but still.

Duma

• forum hero
#45 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 06:01:16 pm
As always, best thread of the year. Thanks everyone for the psyche!
Have ended the year on a bit of a low, psyche wise, but looking back has reminded me of what was actually a really good year with some great high points.

Best of Avon (/lockdown):
Was great to spend time down here during the first lockdown, and a boost to see familiar faces from the bristol scene when otherwise at home a lot.
The Prince 8a+, Avon
2 bolt scrappy wall, but I got so much fun out of it over a couple of months - easily shuntable and I went back after doing it to try and work out an even more direct sequence (sadly broke a sprag) Good to belay a mate on it a while later for his hardest tick too.
The Prince (RH) 7C?, Avon
Still on the same bit of rock, this time took the RH line which makes it a little easier and a lot more doable over mats.
Was it You? 7c+, Avon
The best thing of its grade I've done, pretty much perfect vert tech, and the hanging belay adds to the atmosphere. took long enough to really savour, but not so many sessions I got frustated.

Best Retro Ticks
Stuff I did a long time ago but a bit of time on the south coast meant revisiting some classics
Empire of the Sun 7b+, Ansteys
This may not be technically a retro tick, as despite being sure I did it bitd, it's not in any of my logs from then. Still, awesome as ever.
Haunted by a Million Screams 7a, Dorset
In as representative of all the Dancing Ledge stuf I reclimbed this spring/summer, and cos I barely scraped up what is basically a jug haul.
Disco's Out, Murder's In 6c+, Dorset
Another one at Dancing Ledge, exhausted on the last day, worked out a ridiculous feet first sequence through the initial roof, good to remember to do stuff the fun way.

Best Boulder (and boulder problem)
Breathe 6C, Spernic Cove, Cornwall
Great lump of serpentine in a lovely location, bit terrifying as I had no mat and the sand was low so my landing was head sized rocks, but made the experience all the sharper.

Best of Pembroke (/trad)
The Gong E1
The gong really is amazing, and the climbing ain't bad either.
Preposterous Tales E2
Everything I'd hoped, on an amazing BH weekend with a great crew
Razzle Dazzle VS
So hot I was dripping, but 50m of wonderful slabbing, followed by watching the seals in a crystal clear sea while belayng my mates up is hard to beat.

Best Of Kaly (/abroad)
Elizabeth 7b, Sikati Beach
A bit stop-starty, with two hands off rests, but first tricky route here, and amazing steep finish to the belay right at the top of the beak.
Alfredo Alfredo 7b+, Odyssey
Glorious, probably the best thing I did here, just got the flash with full spray down from Remus, despite having flayed myself on Orion earlier in the day, felt like a bonus!
Tomboy 6b+, Sikati Beach
Amazing sheet of flowstone, what the best bits of Portland wish they were.
Dirlandia 7b+, Secret Garden
First tricky flash of the holiday, got through the lower crux by the skin of my teeth, then an amazing sit down rest on a huge tufa, and a pumpy top section that was hard enough to keep my trying hard and unsure of the outcome.

Best Day
All the grades to 7c at Hedbury with Remus. Was fantastic to get the level of challenge just right to keep things in doubt until the last few routes

tomrainbow

• player
#46 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 06:07:29 pm
Top 3 New Routes UK

Yukon Gold (7b) - Potato Head
The left arete of the Main Wall. Very pleased how this one turned out.

A Mash Made in Devon (7c) - Potato Head
Leftovers from last autumn, a protracted affair that should have been finished off before the seepage came through but fell off eyeballing the lower off.

Horse Pieces (7b) - The Nudey Cliff
40m long monster straight up the middle of the Tower of Suggestion to the left of the existing climbing, four distinct sections each harder than the last...at least it's not as terrifyingly exposed as its left hand (6c) neighbour.

Top 1 Existing Route UK

Poitin (7c) - Potato Head
Ged's new route from the early summer proved to be a great incentive to get the left hand end of the crag opened up...one way or another spent most of the summer ensconced in the potatoey goodness on offer at this end of the crag.

Top 3 Sports Climbs in Spain

Hola Que Tal (7b) - Rincon de Sin
A wonderful ten day getaway to this lesser known region and a first visit to the frankly awesome Rincon de Sin. I could have happily have spent all ten days there. Of the routes we did, flashing this was the highlight.

El Esquimazu (7b) - Rincon de Sin
40m of tufa goodness - fantastic sequences interspersed with reasonable resting opportunities in ever more outrageous positions. What you go to Spain for.

F.A.R (7a+) - Foradador del Toscar
Loved the technical puzzle solving of this thin wall - old school climbing at its best. This area needs a new guidebook - we had information on probably <25% of the routes at this crag, some of the new stuff looks great.

Did some bouldering in the spring mainly at Red Dragon Ridge and Wray Cleave. Lots of new stuff but nothing too significant.

Love this thread...keep them coming!

remus

• forum hero
#47 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 07:16:34 pm
Sounds like some fun routes you and Ged have put up at Potato Head Tom, psyched for a dabble when Im next down that way.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#48 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 07:21:20 pm
This might sound like a brag but it's not meant to

No harm in a brag in the Best Of thread! Sounds like you had a great year, inspiring to hear someone come out of a year like that, stronger than ever.
In general, amazing stuff all round from everyone, it is a nice way to force positivity out of even a crap year.

Re. antihydral, cheers for all the tips (terrible joke? Not even sure it qualifies as that). I'll read Fiend's blog and have a look into it all, but definitely sounds like something I could make good use of. Wood FT, I'll drop you a message on here.

iain

• forum abuser
#49 Re: Best of 2021
December 30, 2021, 07:43:56 pm
I started the year in a bad place mentally with no psyche for climbing, and was only doing any at all because of a good friend.
Then spring came around and I started going out just to spend time with friends, next thing you know I've had one of the most enjoyable years of climbing of my life, it's been brilliant.

Top 3 4 Trad Routes

Spent the year mostly reminding myself how it all works with the mentals, gear and tactics with some great partners and fab days out.

Where Eagles Dare, Scoor, Mull

During the cold snap in April/May, a perfect day and a perfect cliff. This was my third lead of the day and year and despite thinking I didn't stand a chance collected the rack and started wobbling my way up. It was an awesome mix of controlled terror, gear fiddling and really lovely climbing. An amazing spot:
https://imgur.com/uw6SVM5

Phantom Rib,  Clogwyn y Grochan
Snatched the 2 hours of sunshine and dryness on an otherwise sub par day which put a smile on my partner's face while she was going through hard times. The climbing was really good too.

Bloodlust Direct, Sheigra
A jug filled upper wall, bomber gear and the sun setting over the sea as I topped out combined with 5 days of midge free camping overlooking the beach. Scarcely believable but it happened. Sadly didn't manage to sample the bouldering (which looks amazing) but did climb at Sandwood bay which was fun if not Sheigra quality.

Delicatessen, High Tor
What a cliff! I couldn't believe I hadn't been here for so long, 5 or 6+ years, and it's not a place I can just turn up to despite the decent mileage I'd been getting in before.
Third visit I finally felt I'd earned the right to get on this, really surprised I hadn't before. Inevitably I made things harder for myself by misreading the route, fiddling with gear way longer than I needed to, and pulling far too hard while standing on bomber feet. It was great.

Top 3 Boulders

Dawid's Eliminate, Hueco Boulder, Nearcliffe Woods
Such a lovely bit of rock, shame there's not more of it.
Probably the hardest thing I did this year but still way easier than it's given grade for me. A surprisingly quiet day in the woods doing this and White Rabbit SS, and massively satisfying to find ways through moves that initially felt beyond me. Also did it on that last, battered but best go of the day.

The Pinch, Sheep Pen, Ogwen
I don't dyno, so when Andy suggested we look at a dyno I wasn't keen but thought I might learn something. After an hour of learning nothing we were about to move on when last minute a change in feet had me catching the lip and topping out. So not my usual thing but it felt amazing to do.
https://imgur.com/TcNkbPw

Ultimate Warrior stand, Pont Gyfyng, Cwm Pennant
How could you not try it for the name alone! The sit was beyond me and the real star but the stand was a lovely thing, my favourite style and in a beautiful spot. Had a great day trying hard on this as well as pottering around nearby:
https://imgur.com/N4dmZbK

Honourable mention, reclimbing Jocks and Jordies SS at Kyloe In after 12ish years. I love that climb and the place, and massive thanks to whoever made the new fence and gates happen during the logging.

Top 3 Sport Routes

Didn't manage to do a huge amount this year but still had a few memorable routes.

Whose Line is it Anyway?, the Cornice
I had no idea whether this was realistic when I started up, and honestly first go I felt shambolic, but figured out a sequence which went round what most folk think of as the crux and was genuinely surprised when I managed to claw my way to the top next go. The bouldering was paying off.

The Omen, Harpur Hill
Neil said it looked wet but stubborn me thought I'd give it a bash anyway. Sure enough I had to agree when I found myself picking snails out of the crack before seating the jams.
Weirdly satisfying and enjoyable, and despite the location felt like getting on a sea cliff too early before the smeg had been burnt off. Made the best of an otherwise shitty weather day.

Exorcise, Masson Lees
It looked like it had one of those dyno things I don't like but I got talked into trying it and a deadpoint arrived instead. Cool climbing and nice to get it done before more of it falls off.

Top 3 2 spankings

Freedom, Craig y Forwyn
None of my mileage had prepared me for going horizontal along a roof crack with uninspiring (to me) pegs for company, would've been well up for one of those nice drilled titanium ones. Somehow made it through the first pitch then got thoroughly spanked by the second 'easier' vertical pitch and yarded up the gear.

Lily Savage, Ogwen
A 'classic' shouldn't have an eliminate and nasty start (that I couldn't do ...)

Roll on 2022 ....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 07:58:18 pm by iain »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal