UKBouldering.com

Sport trip mid cycle / periodisation (Read 1199 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Sport trip mid cycle / periodisation
December 26, 2021, 02:21:20 pm
OK, so, planning this winter's training schedule and reading into AnCap periodisation of 12-16 weeks being important I'm wondering how to incorporate a hopeful (covid dependant) sport tip in Mid April with the lass and mates if we can all get it arranged at the right time.

If I start now with AnCap x2 per week 12 weeks takes me to week 14 (if skiing in the middle wipes out a week or two) which is about 2-3 weeks before the potential trip. I'm leaning more to working on longer term gains, rather than peaking for that trip, that said, I don't want to be totally useless on that trip either!

I'm thinking about doing 8 weeks of purely AnCap, then around 6 weeks of 1 x ancap and bring in some aeropow/anpow (PE).

Thinking long term, will this lead to a really shitty trip, or could this help peaking around May/June?

Note, my Aerobic capacity seems to be OKish and I will keep that topped up with weekend winter climbing and/or trips to Ratho.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Sport trip mid cycle / periodisation
December 27, 2021, 12:16:30 am
Whilst this doesn’t directly address your address your question, recently, I have been trying to understand energy systems a bit better with a view to applying it. Reading Alex’s pdf was helpful but did leave me with some unanswered questions.

https://www.thesustainabletrainingmethod.com/tstm-blog/2018/8/28/energy-systems-survive-thrive-perform

This is the first of 4 blogposts. I found reading them as a set and watching the embedded videos quite helpful.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#3 Re: Sport trip mid cycle / periodisation
December 27, 2021, 08:14:49 pm
Thanks Jonathan, just reading through all that which was nice and clear.

A lot of things I've been reading recently about diet, training, stress etc. do help to explain my long plateau (along with lack of dedication)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#4 Re: Sport trip mid cycle / periodisation
December 27, 2021, 10:10:26 pm
Glad you found that helpful. There’s a lot of stuff I found which felt oversimplified or a bit unclear so it’s good to find explanations which are both clear and fairly detailed. I am going to read round further- I figure if you understand the impact of what you are doing, you’re better placed to make good choices🤞

My two takeaways at the moment are
1 efficient aerobic energy production massively affects anaerobic energy production also
2 understanding the impact of rest timings is extremely important

Good luck with your training!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal