UKBouldering.com

Deep lock shoulder pain (Read 1104 times)

crzylgs

• stalker
Deep lock shoulder pain
January 30, 2022, 01:38:44 pm
Hi all, would love to consult the hive mind here regarding an issue I've had for a while which affects both shoulders in a similar fashion. FWIW I've had various injuries over the years to my right shoulder but my left shoulder has remained relative injury free. So it seems independent of any soft tissue injuries or scar tissue that I might have picked up. Have no idea how normal or unique it is to my physiology and what if anything I can do about it.

When I'm in a deep lock, especially (but not exclusively) when it approaches the zone where you're so deep the force/movement starts to transition from pulling down to pushing through I get a very sharp (nerve?) needle/knife like pain right in the middle of my shoulder. Feels central perhaps under where the collar bone attaches but is hard to be 100% sure. This forces me to let go and to not attempt the move. Its a very brief pain lasting only a split second. There is never any lingering pain, or residual soreness.

Tricky to exactly explain via text so forgive the above waffle. I could try to take pictures/video to better illustrate the scenario but does this sound familiar to anyone else? If so were you able to target any training/exercises to improve your ability in this type of position.

Would be keen to hear your experiences and suggestions.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Deep lock shoulder pain
January 31, 2022, 08:16:21 am
both sides? collar bone at inside or out? Worth having a look at an anatomy chart online and having a poke / prod about to try and figure out which muscle or attachment.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Deep lock shoulder pain
January 31, 2022, 09:34:12 am
Not heard of such a thing in a climbing context but it sounds a bit like a "stinger" and the mechanism you're describing might involve depressing the shoulder which would fit with this. I'd want to rule out neck problems especially as it's a bilateral issue.

Usual internet diagnosis disclaimers...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal