UKBouldering.com

Protein inflation (Read 5419 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#25 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 09:05:10 am
I believe that if you're looking for hypertrophy in big compound lifts (bench, dead, squat etc) then there's basically no such thing as too much protein and 2g per kg would be good, more wouldn't hurt.

As climbers outside of certain training phases that's probably not necessary. I did see some research that said the more trained someone was the better their muscle reacted to a higher protein intake but beyond 120g there was no discernable improvement, I'll try to dig it out.
Thing is you can't really have too much protein so if you just whack in some shakes nothing bad will happen.

I  thought the latest thinking was that a dose of protein should be at least 20g, but beyond that the benefit diminishes, and you're much better having 20g 4 or 5 times a day than smashing a load post exercise.

This is just one paper, cherry picked as the top google hit but it is saying something similar to the piece a read (can't remember where, dyor etc.)

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-018-0215-1

Wellsy

• forum hero
#26 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 10:36:56 am
I have seen that too, I always try to smooth it across the day.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#27 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 10:53:37 am
As I understand it: protein, especially leucine, is an anabolic signaller. Therefore it is better to maintain the signal with steady consumption every few hours rather than peaks and troughs with large quantities of protein at long intervals.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#28 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 11:57:07 am
As I understand it: protein, especially leucine, is an anabolic signaller. Therefore it is better to maintain the signal with steady consumption every few hours rather than peaks and troughs with large quantities of protein at long intervals.

True, but there does seem to be some reasonable studies pointing to it being better to have 4 x 20g rather than grazing through 8 x 10g, or binging on 2 x 40g. For me it was really nice to hear that, as it's easier to hit 20g in a post climbing snack (e.g. toast and tin of mackerel) and I already get about 20g at breakfast and I aim for the same at dinner if I can. I live with a veggie, and basically am veggie most of the time so it takes a bit of effort to make sure I'm getting enough (think this has been a problem for me the last few years)

Wellsy

• forum hero
#29 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 02:39:04 pm
Here it is;

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/6/376

Summary/conclusion Dietary protein supplementation significantly enhanced changes in muscle strength and size during prolonged RET in healthy adults. Increasing age reduces and training experience increases the efficacy of protein supplementation during RET. With protein supplementation, protein intakes at amounts greater than ~1.6 g/kg/day do not further contribute RET(Resistance Exercise Training)-induced gains in FFM (Fat Free Mass)

Duma

• forum hero
#30 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 02:56:10 pm
...Increasing age reduces [...] the efficacy of protein supplementation during RET.
Interesting, I thought ensuring sufficient protein was more important as you got older.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#31 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 03:09:04 pm
...Increasing age reduces [...] the efficacy of protein supplementation during RET.
Interesting, I thought ensuring sufficient protein was more important as you got older.

I think you’re right, and that is backed up by this conclusion: increasing age reduces the effect of protein supplementation (as it also reduces the response to exercise stimuli), so it will be more important to get it right than if you’re younger and getting a greater effect.

Duma

• forum hero
#32 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 03:27:35 pm
Ah yeah, that does make sense now you put it like that!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#33 Re: Protein inflation
December 19, 2021, 05:15:05 pm
Here it is;

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/6/376

Summary/conclusion Dietary protein supplementation significantly enhanced changes in muscle strength and size during prolonged RET in healthy adults. Increasing age reduces and training experience increases the efficacy of protein supplementation during RET. With protein supplementation, protein intakes at amounts greater than ~1.6 g/kg/day do not further contribute RET(Resistance Exercise Training)-induced gains in FFM (Fat Free Mass)

Thanks for this. It looks like a well-conducted meta-analysis. To be included in the meta analysis a quality threshold had to be achieved. Most of the studies reviewed were of relatively short duration: only 5 of 61 studies had training periods of 24 weeks or more, most stopped by 12 weeks. Focusing on the strength rather than bulk gains, they conclude the changes brought about by training are far bigger than the effects of protein supplementation but the latter may be worth considering if you're after marginal gains. It's worth noting that only 4 studies included in the meta analysis were on trained individuals and my reading of the data is only one of the four showed a clear-cut effect. The pooled effect was small but positive in trained individuals: supplementation helped but only a little. 

Our analysis, and those from others, leads us to conclude that the specifics of protein supplementation (eg, timing, postexercise protein dose or protein source) play a minor, if any, role in determining RET[resistance exercise training] -induced gains in FFM and strength over a period of weeks. Instead, our results indicate that a daily protein intake of ~1.6 g/kg/day, separated into ~0.25 g/kg doses, is more influential on adaptive changes with RET, at least for younger individuals.

So someone weighing 70kg would eat 5-6 meals a day each containing, as suggested above, ~20g of protein. Older people may need more, perhaps as much as 35-40g per meal (mentioned in the discussion, not a finding of this analysis).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal