UKBouldering.com

Calling all conditions forecasters (Read 8451 times)

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 03:18:51 pm
Tomorrow is looking poor for Yorkshire and the Peak. 100% humidity and foggy in most places. Anywhere likely to be dry? Grit or lime considered

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 03:27:48 pm
It's been inversiony today. Perhaps the same tomorrow. Not sure where the fog might reach to but I'd aim high.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 03:33:13 pm
I've got someone looking at Anston to see how dry it is now, I'll let people know what they say

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 03:43:17 pm
It's been inversiony today. Perhaps the same tomorrow. Not sure where the fog might reach to but I'd aim high.

Almscliff high enough? I was imagining it should escape most of the mist

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 03:47:51 pm
Forecasts are for mist and fog even on highest summits in the Peak on both days. Humidity levels are showing as quite a bit lower at higher altitudes than low, so you never know. It's a long slog up to Kinder/Grinah to find out though!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 03:53:27 pm
There is a patch of clear skies predicted in the NW. Might be dry round the Chew. Still fairly high humidity forecast, but it hasn't rained for a few days, so might okay.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 04:00:53 pm
Forecasts are for mist and fog even on highest summits in the Peak on both days. Humidity levels are showing as quite a bit lower at higher altitudes than low, so you never know. It's a long slog up to Kinder/Grinah to find out though!

Where are you getting your info from? I was waiting for MWIS but not updated yet. The highest grit crags in Yorkshire are at about 450m (Almscliff is at a lowly 200m). MWIS doesn't seem to mention the fog level but obviously they're geared to looking at hill tops around the 5/600m mark.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#7 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 04:06:48 pm
Is Crookrise sufficiently high? There's plenty i'd like to try up there but it's a 4 hour round trip including the walk in!

Is lime completely out in this weather or might the fabled 'sticky damp' occur?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 04:25:45 pm
Is Crookrise sufficiently high? There's plenty i'd like to try up there but it's a 4 hour round trip including the walk in!

Is lime completely out in this weather or might the fabled 'sticky damp' occur?

You can check this stuff out on Bing Maps using the Ordnance Survey overlay. Boulders at Crookrise sit between the 350m and 380m mark. But what little wind there might be tomorrow is from the east so the bottom of the crag will be still. Combined with the trees under the crag I wouldn't have thought it would be any good there. I was thinking of Wolfrey (450m) but doesn't seem to be much psyche out there.

Still keen to hear from Bonjoy as the MWIS forecast from Thursday says of Saturday: "hills likely clear through the day, but above a canopy of low level valley fog that will linger much of the day".

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#9 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 04:48:24 pm
There is a patch of clear skies predicted in the NW. Might be dry round the Chew. Still fairly high humidity forecast, but it hasn't rained for a few days, so might okay.
Dry and sunny in Manc today after a frosty start, lots of puddles in the area have downsized a lot during this week. M62 cams might offer good hints tomorrow esp around Jn 22.

remus

• forum hero
#10 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 04:57:59 pm
Can't imagine it'll be a surprise to anyone, but I nipped out this eve and eastern peak grit was very damp. It'd be a very long shot this weekend.

Roche abbey might be ok, beef buttress in particular can be fairly weather proof. Not immune from condensation though.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#11 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 04:59:12 pm
I think Footwork went to Roche last weekend and it was fucked.

remus

• forum hero
#12 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 05:42:40 pm
I think Footwork went to Roche last weekend and it was fucked.

Could be good again by now, yesterday was pretty sunny over that way (and Roche gets the sun). Haven't been though so all speculation.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 08:18:26 pm

Where are you getting your info from? I was waiting for MWIS but not updated yet. The highest grit crags in Yorkshire are at about 450m (Almscliff is at a lowly 200m). MWIS doesn't seem to mention the fog level but obviously they're geared to looking at hill tops around the 5/600m mark.
Metoffice. But I was looking at the Peak area only. It did look like there were more clear patches further north.

andy moles

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 17, 2021, 08:46:51 pm
If you can hack the drive, North Wales is going to be nice (for a change).

J_duds

• menacing presence
#15 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 08:11:10 am
It's damp and foggy in North Leeds at the moment. 

Just see a comment on ukc saying the Peak is wet too: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/peak_conditions_today-742233

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#16 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 08:36:46 am
It's damp and foggy in North Leeds at the moment. 

Just see a comment on ukc saying the Peak is wet too: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/peak_conditions_today-742233

Dark, foggy, and damp in Ilkley - so if altitude is the answer, you'll have to go higher than Ilkley Moor.  It might clear up later (it did yesterday), but there is very little breeze to dispel the clag.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#17 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 09:13:02 am
I'm currently considering Stoupe Brow, but it's a fairly long drive from Leeds to turn around and come home!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#18 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 09:23:51 am
Currently mint in Greater Manchester so was surprised to read it was clagged in elsewhere. You might be OK at Earl or similar?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#19 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 09:24:26 am
Currently mint in Greater Manchester so was surprised to read it was clagged in elsewhere. You might be OK at Scout or Scout Hut ?

NaoB

• player
#20 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 09:31:41 am
North Wales is beautiful today, was great conditions at Elephantitus yesterday too.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#21 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 10:36:34 am
Just driven through a lot of clag to find Grimwith car park on the very cusp of it. If you're not above 400m I think you'd be fucked. Not sure about NYM, Silverdale etc

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#22 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 11:03:23 am
I don't know. It's odd conditions. I think certain things will be bone dry, e.g. roofs, crag bottom bits, especially under overhangs. Anything with a topout or any green on it is probably a write off if you aren't out of the clag. Good day for Hueco Wall at Cratcliffe?
Stoney Middleton could be in great nick if you can stomach it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#23 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 11:12:03 am
Currently mint in Greater Manchester so was surprised to read it was clagged in elsewhere. You might be OK at Scout or Scout Hut ?

Maybe later on but I couldn't see the end of to garden until about half an hour ago. The sun is just starting to break through now.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#24 Re: Calling all conditions forecasters
December 18, 2021, 07:03:35 pm
Humidity levels are showing as quite a bit lower at higher altitudes than low, so you never know. It's a long slog up to Kinder/Grinah to find out though!

Would have been worth it… I went up on Bleaklow and it was great. Most of the Grinah Stones would have been dry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal