UKBouldering.com

Aims for 2024 (Read 6131 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#50 Re: Aims for 2024
January 05, 2024, 09:28:28 am
Go back to Pass of Ballater and finish off Drambui

Give me some warning if you are up and need a string holder. Keen to get some trad done this year.

Stabbsy

• junky
#51 Re: Aims for 2024
January 05, 2024, 09:36:03 am
Last year was pretty much of a write-off, so just rolling over with a few changes.

Usual running/climbing split for me. Managing the balance is always a challenge, so just being happy with one or the other would be great!

Climbing :-

• Do more stuff on a rope. 2021/2022 2023 isn't a high bar to beat, but would be good to get back to enjoying routes. Ideally come back from a day on the ropes feeling more physically tired than mentally (a sign of how much by head game has disappeared over the last 3/4 years of minimal route climbing).
  • Commit to some hard(er) boulder problems - failed at this in recent years so need to make more effort before the wet Autumn weather writes the season off and I scuttle back indoors. I'll put a number on it to try and make it more specific - 10 problems F7B and above.
  • Have a couple of weekends away somewhere. Make the effort to meet up with friends more, rather than going solo all the time.
  • Some arbitrary numbers - 20 new problems F7A and above, 5 new (to me) crags.

Running :-

• Get back to racing following long Covid/post-viral stuff. Long plodding in the first half of the year and then drop miles and build some speed again.
  • Either short fell races and the fell relays in the second half of the year or focus on the roads and maybe a PB.
  • Some arbitrary numbers - 50+ Oxstones runs to/from home, 30+ different trig points.

Life :-

• Finish off house projects - probably kitchen and render this year, then a couple more bits to go.
  • Make more time to spend with my wife and without the kids.
  • Try and get more comfortable with alternate ways of working that don't involve me working evenings, weekends or on my day off. Delegating is something I really struggle with as I have a definite way of approaching problems and have rarely found staff that quite as rigorous in their approach.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#52 Re: Aims for 2024
January 08, 2024, 01:59:19 pm
In many senses of the word, I had my best year in a long time last year. I think it was the first time in many years though that I failed to put goals down in the UKB thread. I'd like to build on the below:

Early in 2023 I wanted to commit to a daily habit that I thought I could stick to for 365 days. Having always wanted to learn Japanese and to brush up on GCSE Spanish, I made this the goal. As of tomorrow, I hit 365 days of continuous learning and I'm delighted that a) I managed to do this with having a 2 and 4 year old and b) the satisfaction from being able to handwrite (relatively neatly now) every hiragana character is very rewarding. Clearly still a long way to go but tapping Japanese tourists on the shoulder at the Albert Dock has given me a bit of speaking practice (and thankfully not freaked any of them out).

After nearly 15 years of effort, all of the stars have started to align to finally expand my whisky business and selling that first cask was a huge tick on that journey. Some very exciting things in the pipeline for 2024 and an excellent business partner coming in to the fold, thus making me no longer a one man band.

Managed to pull on some small crimps and had a purple patch for a short amount of time before deciding a mono pulling contest with Crouch and Donnelly was a good idea after a few beers on day one of my 40th trip. A few harder things on Pisa Wall, Pex I'd like to do this year. Finally learned how to diet in 2023 so back on that programme to get to a proper fighting weight.

So to the measurable goals:

1. Be able to handwrite every katakana character come COP 2024 and learn 100 kanji.

2. Secure one good repeat international bulk whisky contract and 40 new private clients.

3. Do NW Overhang sitter at Pex. Will keep it light touch and hope some decent board training and hardcore dieting will align with some time to get outside further afield.

Serious godspeed to all of you for you goals in 2024. Always greatly enjoy reading others here.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#53 Re: Aims for 2024
January 08, 2024, 10:00:47 pm
...learn 100 kanji.

I learned my first ... 300(?) by rote, and have forgotten most. Before going to China I relearned a lot of Kanji using James W. Heisig's Remembering the Kanji. Highly recommended. In ‘Remembering the Kanji’ Heisig arrange them in order to make it easier to memorise them, not in order of usefulness when reading or learning Japanese, so if you go that road you need to memorise a lot more than 100 for it to be useful. I still highly recommend this book!

edshakey

• forum abuser
#54 Re: Aims for 2024
January 08, 2024, 10:57:13 pm
1. Be able to handwrite every katakana character come COP 2024 and learn 100 kanji.

Great goal.

This has inspired/reminded me to amend mine:

Didn't bother with this thread last year (injury induced low psych), not got that excuse this year so might as well!

Climbing
- Do an E2
- Do a F7a, probably in Spain
- Go bouldering and enjoy it without ruining skin for the next week
- Keep doing conditioning after climbing

Potentially conservative, but not planning on doing loads of training, so not wanting any pressure.

Running
- Run regularly if not injured (3+ per week, high mileage if possible to setup long term goals)
- Do a big AL fell race, probably Borrowdale
- Get qualifying races done for said big fell race (nice intermediate goal)
- Look into Paddy Buckley legs
- Do better (position-wise) in British Fell Relays
- Some sort of big day out like Welsh 3000s, Y3Ps, etc
Secondary goals
- 5k PB
- 10k or half PB
- Across Wales Walk event if summer goes well

Other
- Big solo trip to Scotland, mainly to spend time in the Cuillin
- Take camera on most days out, take good pics
- Stay injury free!
- Keep doing the Welsh on Duolingo

Fully accepting it's not an optimal learning method, but I'm on a 485 day streak and intend to continue that for another year. Besides, I'd not have learned any if I didn't bother! Just gotta keep plugging away at it and it'll improve. Maybe I'll even try some out in a shop/pub and get either a) answered in English (most likely), or b) answered Welsh and then I'm immediately stuck (also very possible)  :lol:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#55 Re: Aims for 2024
January 09, 2024, 07:14:29 am

- Keep doing the Welsh on Duolingo

Fully accepting it's not an optimal learning method, but I'm on a 485 day streak and intend to continue that for another year.

I do not know about using Duolingo for Welsh, but I used it during lunchbreaks and on the commute to start learning French before moving there. I found it OK for self-study as a beginner; when I moved to France I took full time classes for Alliance Française and after a placement test they let me skip the first month, so I saved the cost of 80 hours of classes. Obviously I could probably have self studied by other methods as well, but the app definately helped me

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#56 Re: Aims for 2024
January 15, 2024, 10:56:02 am
I've been pondering what I should go for this year, I think this makes a decent list:

Winter
I need to tick more Munros in winter if I want to join the SMC. Making sure I combine doing some decent routes at the same time would be great. I've got off to a reasonable start with this already. A friend gave me a little Munro record book for Xmas, so my first task is to try and remember which ones I've actually been up! If I could bag a dozen in winter conditions that would be great, and if I can also get half a dozen days winter climbing as well even better.

Sport
Getting Silk Purse finished is the obvious gap. Having a few days in Strathyre and Glen Ogle would be good too. Chain Lightning is an obvious target, but really I just want to make sure I visit.

Trad
I got very little done this year and never got my head together, so it's all to play for.
I'd love to get 3 big mountain routes done. I've not been to Creag an Dubh Loch, so something there would be good, Titan's Wall and Minus 1 are other targets.
One thing I really enjoy about living in Scotland is being able to have a big hill day and throw in some easy classics as well. I've got a few in mind, if I got one done that would be cool. Cycling in to Binnean Shuas and soloing Ardverikie Wall and Kubla Khan is one I'm keen for, but I've also got designs on some longer links in the Cairngorms.

Life
Finish the fence and put a patio in.
Get the dog properly trained. I'm enjoying this, he's very smart so learning quickly at the moment. Training good recall is going to be important, especially as he'll be a big dog when fully grown.
Running - I'd like to do another long distance run in the hills (~40km), I'm not overly concerned whether it's an organised event, but it's sometimes easier to be motivated with a hard deadline. Something in Scotland or the Lakes would be good. I've got a couple of ideas for good independent routes (e.g. running from Loch Etive over the 7 munros back to Rannoch Moor).

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#57 Re: Aims for 2024
January 15, 2024, 11:25:39 am
Love this thread and the 'Best of' thread on 2023, inspired me to post this year.

Climbing/exercise:
- Physio out existing injuries - particularly left shoulder and elbow tweaks
- Two strength training sessions a week
- Work out a good structure for my weekend indoor bouldering session that maximises the time I have available and builds strength effectively
- Get back into doing at least one fingerboard session a week
- Go for a first Easter Font trip with the family (and plan it so that they love it so it stays on the menu for the future)
- At least 2 boulder trips in the UK
- Consolidate on sport climbing from last year, at least 4 weekends' climbing, get back up to 7a+ RP
- Get out on the MTB at least once a month

Life:
- Move house in the summer (preferably closer to rock)
- Don't completely destroy life in process of moving house, keep wife & kids happy etc
- Publish novella, finish writing 3rd novel

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#58 Re: Aims for 2024
January 16, 2024, 02:28:23 pm
I've been pondering what I should go for this year, I think this makes a decent list:

Winter
I need to tick more Munros in winter if I want to join the SMC. Making sure I combine doing some decent routes at the same time would be great. I've got off to a reasonable start with this already. A friend gave me a little Munro record book for Xmas, so my first task is to try and remember which ones I've actually been up! If I could bag a dozen in winter conditions that would be great, and if I can also get half a dozen days winter climbing as well even better.

Sport
Getting Silk Purse finished is the obvious gap. Having a few days in Strathyre and Glen Ogle would be good too. Chain Lightning is an obvious target, but really I just want to make sure I visit.

Trad
I got very little done this year and never got my head together, so it's all to play for.
I'd love to get 3 big mountain routes done. I've not been to Creag an Dubh Loch, so something there would be good, Titan's Wall and Minus 1 are other targets.
One thing I really enjoy about living in Scotland is being able to have a big hill day and throw in some easy classics as well. I've got a few in mind, if I got one done that would be cool. Cycling in to Binnean Shuas and soloing Ardverikie Wall and Kubla Khan is one I'm keen for, but I've also got designs on some longer links in the Cairngorms.

Life
Finish the fence and put a patio in.
Get the dog properly trained. I'm enjoying this, he's very smart so learning quickly at the moment. Training good recall is going to be important, especially as he'll be a big dog when fully grown.
Running - I'd like to do another long distance run in the hills (~40km), I'm not overly concerned whether it's an organised event, but it's sometimes easier to be motivated with a hard deadline. Something in Scotland or the Lakes would be good. I've got a couple of ideas for good independent routes (e.g. running from Loch Etive over the 7 munros back to Rannoch Moor).

I forgot to add these:

Factor Two
I haven't done any episodes in ages, life got very busy, and I had a lot of other projects I've been working on.

It would be good to put out some new episodes, a minimum of 3. I've got the material for those already, and lots of ideas for others..

How you can help...
I'm happy to take pointers from people, so if you've got a story, or know of one you'd like to hear, drop me a line. I'm mainly interested in trying to tell things that are more complex than a single interview can manage, so stories with multiple perspectives, or thematic tales are welcome. Also, I'd be very happy to collaborate to produce stories. I.e. you get to interview/host, and I'll deal with production and help you script or structure it. I can supply recording gear. Send me your ideas if you're interested, even if they're really vague it's fun to chat about this stuff.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#59 Re: Aims for 2024
January 16, 2024, 04:59:37 pm
So many things going on, hopefully I can get health issues under control and do them!

Running

Got a couple of runs goals I'd like to get done this year;
1) 1200km in the year.
2) try the Glen Clova loop a mate and i have planned. A natural loop of the horseshoe starting and finishing at the hotel is about 50km, and takes in 4 + Munros, A Corbett and a load of other hills.
3) run / walk the Milngavie to Drover's Inn part of WHW in a day (41 mi). I did the rest of it with mares last year, but missed the first bit due to limited AL.
4) Balmoral 15 miler in 2 hrs. Did 2:08:48in 2018, so it's possible.
5) PB a half; under 1:38. Possible with a decent block of training, a fast course and perfect weather.

Climbing
1) Do more routes at the wall
2) get a sport project in high 7s
3) Do some mountain routes
4) fingerboard and get on garage board at least once a week each.
5) Tick a couple of local boulder projects

Other
1) Surf more - and not just Aberdeen.
2) Get some decent powder and maybe a tour in the Alps.
3) Do some ski tours locally
4) get on MTB, especially get to Tarland.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal