The young ones (Read 7979 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
The young ones
November 25, 2021, 10:25:21 am
I see that Hamish McArthur is on Dura Dura  :o

Made me think again about the current breadth and depth of up and coming young talent - perhaps the best it’s ever been since Ben and Jerry.

Will Bosi, Aidan Roberts, Buster, Molly, Toby Roberts, Josh Ibbertson, Pete Dawson, Jim Pope..

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 Re: The Young Ones
November 25, 2021, 10:37:22 am
I kind of feel for them a little. With travel restrictions abroad because of Brexit. There are a few ways round it but those long trips abroad without any issues may be long gone.

Bradders

• forum hero
#2 Re: The Young Ones
November 25, 2021, 11:01:20 am
Not to mention climate change / carbon emissions restrictions on the horizon, whether self-imposed or otherwise. 

On a positive note, something that has struck me about both Hamish and Max Milne particularly is the shear brass balls on them! They both seem to be incredibly bullish / confident about their prospects as members of the elite, which is a little awe inspiring.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#3 Re: The Young Ones
November 25, 2021, 11:12:04 am
I kind of feel for them a little. With travel restrictions abroad because of Brexit. There are a few ways round it but those long trips abroad without any issues may be long gone.
Get your point (the future looks bleak...) but looking at it another way with this current crop of talent we could be on the cusp of a golden age for UK climbing... We've already seen Bosi et al crushing @ the Tor, Aiden putting up world class problems in the lakes & Molly on fire there... The thought of all those routes and problems going down that folk have looked at and said "that's one for the next generation" is pretty exciting.. no??

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#4 Re: The Young Ones
November 25, 2021, 11:16:00 am
Get your point (the future looks bleak...) but looking at it another way with this current crop of talent we could be on the cusp of a golden age for UK climbing... We've already seen Bosi et al crushing @ the Tor, Aiden putting up world class problems in the lakes & Molly on fire there... The thought of all those routes and problems going down that folk have looked at and said "that's one for the next generation" is pretty exciting.. no??

That wasn't my point, never mind.

I am not doubting any of that its just the ease of getting abroad for long stints. Its all very exciting and doubt you'll find anyone that thinks otherwise. I just feel for them logistically. I have chatted to loads of people recently and all i hear is 90 days this, 180 days that. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal