UKBouldering.com

Best (not most important) decade in C20th British climbing history (Read 11240 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
normal people looking at you like you're slightly unhinged when you tell them you're a climber, as opposed to to everyone today replying yeah I love bouldering we read about it in the guardian and can't wait to try some speed climbing.

:lol: :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
zero impact on the enjoyment of climbing

Zero impact on the enjoyment of climbing if you don't worry about this stuff yourself.

And so on....
You are quite hilarious  ;D

I think andy initially meant "best" as in "best for the overall existence of british climbing" not "having the most enjoyment of climbing for the typical punter taking part". Which is a bit of a different question. In terms of my own enjoyment of climbing, I still enjoy it this current decade DESPITE all the stuff I mentioned above (apart from #4 which genuinely impinges on my enjoyment), and when I don't it's usually my own punterdom.

Regardless it's somehow not surprising that new-to-climbing indoor-and/or-training-derived performance-fixated Goal Climbers (hi Wellsy as well!) find a current decade that is all a-fucking-bout indoor-and/or-training-derived performance-fixated Goal Climbing to be the "best one". Hold the fucking press!  :o

P.S. Ethics - general physical performance has improved/broadened a lot, as has technology / protection / information about routes. The amount of onsighting / flashing hasn't. Maybe less relevant to bouldering, but it's got it's own problems in that massive advances in brushing technology hasn't kept the tickmarks and chalk-caked holds off....

Wellsy

• forum hero
This decade is the best for climbing cos I'm climbing now and I don't give a toss about what anyone else is up to

Happy now? ;p

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
It's 9:15 pm and either fucking baltic and/or pissing down. You're not climbing *right now*  :P

I'm not sure Grand Historian Popp should approve of your appropriation of "best". I doubt 30s were the best for him from personal experience but then again who knows. And he does seem to approve of the cheery, upbeat pair of you  ::)

Wellsy

• forum hero
I just got back from not doing Beach Ball (got to the last slopers just couldn't quite get to the jug, several moves progress though) how dare you slander my hardcore credentials

webbo

• forum hero
I climbed in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s, 2010’s and now. However I can’t remember which was the best, in fact as anyone seen my chalk bag I’m sure I left it round here somewhere.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
It's just behind your live-streaming Iphone on a tripod, tucked next to your portable fan, i think it might be obscured by a discarded kneepad.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
or, given current sizes, you might have fallen inside it and not noticed.

80's style ones that you could only get 3 or 4 fingertips into were way cooler.

petejh

• forum hero
What about for best climbing decade you also have to consider the decade for best music… :worms:

I’d love to have a combination of the apparent freedom from the over-sharing of social anxieties and social comparisons of the pre-social media decades; with the standards, equipment, walls/training knowledge of today. Which I guess is kind of what Wellsy is saying. Climbing’s great, just got to ignore the other shit and do you own thing.
And with music from the 70s, 80s, miss out the 90s and early noughties, but include the last 10 years.

webbo

• forum hero
It's just behind your live-streaming Iphone on a tripod, tucked next to your portable fan, i think it might be obscured by a discarded kneepad.
Thinking about it, the best period was when R man’s  tripod went missing.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
And with music from the 70s, 80s, miss out the 90s and early noughties, but include the last 10 years.

Are you insane? the 90's might not have been the peak of innovation in music, but it all came together perfectly: techno, hip hop, and house emerged in the previous decade, but they were perfected in the 90's, along with the rise of DnB, grunge, trip hop, IDM and the last time alternative rock was any good... The 90's were great for music!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
 :2thumbsup: Tattooed goal climber beast is right about that one. Creation of hardcore / gabber, and the refinement and settling of death metal in the early part of the decade too. Also less the mere rise of DnB and more of the invention of jungle / DnB and it's most excellent diversifying and cementing in place.

Yossarian

• forum hero
In order to develop more of a sense of a shared experience and emotional consensus, perhaps we could organise something along the lines of Life Swap…?

Andy could take Liam to get fitted for some nice jumpers and tweed, and then the two of them embark on an odessey of onsight soloing in the rain around Wales, Scotland and the Himalaya.

And then Liam could show Andy how to shotgun a can of MaxCreatineTenzing, check out some cordless fans at B&Q, and then go on a Kilterboard rampage around the country in an electric SUV.

andy popp

• forum hero
In order to develop more of a sense of a shared experience and emotional consensus, perhaps we could organise something along the lines of Life Swap…?

Andy could take Liam to get fitted for some nice jumpers and tweed, and then the two of them embark on an odessey of onsight soloing in the rain around Wales, Scotland and the Himalaya.

And then Liam could show Andy how to shotgun a can of MaxCreatineTenzing, check out some cordless fans at B&Q, and then go on a Kilterboard rampage around the country in an electric SUV.

Excellent!

There's even a picture of me in a tweed jacket in Dawes' autobiography.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
LOL, you're on a roll at the mo, Yoss  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I can see LDNCLMBR getting its first TV series commission from this. Pairing off UKB members for Life Swaps.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Fiend and Barrows please. A contest to see who has the best rubber appendage.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Barrows is gonna need more lube.

remus

• forum hero
Barrows is gonna need more lube.

To apply to or to have applied, that is the question.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal