UKBouldering.com

Totalitarianism (Read 9415 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#50 Re: Totalitarianism
November 23, 2021, 04:20:38 pm
except with a low case letter in front following the recent rebranding...

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#51 Re: Totalitarianism
November 23, 2021, 06:22:45 pm
I've just started a new job and being double vaxxed was compulsory. It's a care job, but I'm in Scotland, so the company are making that decision for themselves.

Recruiting for care jobs is a nightmare at the moment, so it's interesting they have taken that decision. The flip side is that they are offering pay 20% above job adverts from September, well above the real living wage now. I walked out of my previous job last Wednesday due to issues around incompetence, holiday pay, expenses and more. I started the new job yesterday, so they're pretty keen to recruit!

Paul B

• forum hero
#52 Re: Totalitarianism
November 23, 2021, 08:37:19 pm
OT but is this happening in all job markets? I stuck my head above the parapet a few weeks ago and things are absolutely nuts (in civil engineering). There seems to be a massive skills and resource shortage.

Large multinational energy / engineering company with a lot of site based (on and offshore) workers. Rhymes with Good.

Thanks. I can see why they might take such a stance for offshore workers but company wide still seems a bit  :worms:.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#53 Re: Totalitarianism
November 24, 2021, 08:41:23 am
There was, I thought, a good suggestion on the radio that if you refused to have the vaccine then the alternative was to attend an educational course a bit like the speed awareness courses as an alternative to licence points. This would be an opportunity for professionals to pick apart the kind of nonsense described by Kelvin and OMM.

Obviously the hardened aren’t going to change their minds but the majority might alter some of their opinions (and change conversations in their milieu) and some might change their minds enough to take the vaccine.

Got to be a better (intermediate!) step than coercion. Think a fine should be imposed as well to pay for the cost of the course which would be another inducement which I hear is working well in Italy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#54 Re: Totalitarianism
November 24, 2021, 09:07:47 am

Thanks. I can see why they might take such a stance for offshore workers but company wide still seems a bit  :worms:.

I think they are taking a broad brush stroke approach rather than a set of exceptions and instances. I expect my employer to be (another American multinational) will request similar. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal