UKBouldering.com

Car free days in the Lake / Peak District? (Read 5008 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Good weather is a bit more predictable in hueco tanks than borrowdale,...

On the contrary, the weather in Borrowdale is highly predictable, with Seatoller having > 1.5m annual precipitation https://en.climate-data.org/europe/united-kingdom/england/seatoller-70614/

Scroll down for rainfall bar chart. 🙂

dunnyg

• forum hero
So when is it going to be good weather in borrowdale? If I book a year ahead in a good month, it seems I have at best a 2/3 chance of getting no rain. Not the worst odds to be fair! Anyway  :offtopic: soZ.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
So when is it going to be good weather in borrowdale? If I book a year ahead in a good month, it seems I have at best a 2/3 chance of getting no rain. Not the worst odds to be fair! Anyway  :offtopic: soZ.

June 23, 2023.

You heard it here first.

Paul B

• forum hero
Its broadly what you have to do in several  US  parks, though, most famously Hueco Tanks.  Theres no doubt that it's less convenient,  but arguably better than a totally overrun and trashed national park?

The US model is something I'd hate to see replicated here as IMO it completely detracts from those places (I can imagine the new Yosemite big wall permit completely sucks, adding yet another hurdle/more pressure to actually getting up things).

Their idea of conservation seems a little odd to me too with "this boulder gully is getting a bit polished from people walking up and down, let's replace it with a large obtrusive steel staircase" etc.

Durbs

• forum hero
Booking ahead compared to Hueco isn't comparable as I don't think you can actually stay in Hueco - whereas you can in the Peak. So a family camping in the Peak would have to pre-book all their car parks for the week, which is just impractical.

Another issue with parking vs public transport is for a group/family of 4, looking at current transport prices, it's cheaper to drive and park than buy 4x train tickets, and much more convenient too.

So public transport would need to be subsidised, and suspect car parks too.

That £4.75 cash-only charge is just ridiculous. It's 2021.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I think Glen Nevis is wetter? All you need to do is get on the existing shuttle bus from Fort William to guarantee a soaking.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

June 23, 2023.

You heard it here first.
Don't know whether to call bullshit, or call "crippling heatwave that day that means even if you go to Goat to escape the sun it's still 28 in the shade and good luck shaking up Footless Crow in that"  :-\

a13c

• regular
I'm sure I read an article about how the pre booking of access to Yosemite has greatly increased the injury rate as people aren't prepared to back off there chosen route if the weather turns bad as there is no option to try again tomorrow.
For us I guess this equates to people climbing on and damaging damp/wet rock?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal