UKBouldering.com

Camera repairs (Read 1813 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Camera repairs
October 26, 2021, 09:48:28 am
My girlfriend fell over while carrying her camera (Nikon D90) and it isn’t working any more. It switches on but won’t take pictures (I think it says something about “lens fault” but I may be mis-remembering…). Any knowledgeable types care to offer an opinion on if repair is going to be a viable option? and any recommendations on Sheffield/Peak area places to take it…

I know less than nothing about photography and cameras.

Thanks  :)

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Camera repairs
October 26, 2021, 10:14:07 am
Does the lens have an aperture ring? If so, it may have moved from being locked at the smallest aperture - this will give an error on the D90. Set the aperture ring to the smallest aperture (biggest f number) and use the little slide switch to lock it in place. If the error disappears, that was your problem.

You could also try setting the camera to manual focus, if it will take pictures then it’s probably an issue with the lens.

Also try unmounting and re mounting the lens in case the contacts aren’t well seated.

Failing that, Harrison’s on London road will be able to take a look. Unfortunately, unless it’s something very minor it is unlikely to be economical to repair. A second hand D90 in decent condition can be had for about £100 nowadays, so that might be her best bet.

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Camera repairs
October 28, 2021, 06:00:50 pm
Sorry Nic, read this then got distracted before saying thank you so…

Thank you

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Camera repairs
October 28, 2021, 08:20:07 pm
No worries, hope it’s a simple/cheap fix, or an opportunity for a nice upgrade.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal