UKBouldering.com

Craig y longridge (Read 2968 times)

dunnyg

• forum hero
Craig y longridge
October 22, 2021, 06:16:51 pm
Anyone know how it is holding up at the moment? Thinking of a trip over this weekend and looking to get on stuff up to 7B. Not been before but it looks like seepage could ruin the plan?

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1 Re: Craig y longridge
October 22, 2021, 06:38:03 pm
I've not been up for a while, but its been pretty grim all week in Longridge, dropped a lot of rain, so will most likely be soaked, especially on the stuff up the top end.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#2 Re: Craig y longridge
October 22, 2021, 06:50:15 pm
Cheers, one for another time then.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#3 Re: Craig y longridge
April 08, 2022, 01:58:35 pm
Anyone been this week? How's it holding up?

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#4 Re: Craig y longridge
April 08, 2022, 06:50:40 pm
I've just got back, not great, lots of seeps and fresh dribbles, barely a dry hold. Low life trav just about the only thing poss, still with some wet on the jugs.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#5 Re: Craig y longridge
April 08, 2022, 07:15:25 pm
Cheers, good to know.  I'll come up with an alternative then!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#6 Re: Craig y longridge
April 08, 2022, 08:44:40 pm
Chatting to Tanya at Boulder UK a few months back she reckoned the seepage was way worse since the dry stone wall at the top was removed and replaced with a fence. Is this commonly accepted? Did it stay drier back in the day?

Stabbsy

• junky
#7 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 08:13:32 am
It’s certainly different, but I’d struggle say better or worse definitively. I can certainly remember the low traverse under Cruel Country drying out (or being climbable) when I first used to go in the late 90s. I haven’t seen that doable for years. The road was resurfaced at around the same time as the wall came down - my guess was always that it was more likely to be the road.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 08:41:02 am
I'd always put it down to the resurfacing of the road. I'd be interested to know if the camber is more towards the crag than the other way. Not that you can do much about it.

Maybe the wall did help retain some off the runoff?

Stabbsy

• junky
#9 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 09:37:00 am
Yep, road camber was always my guess as well. The wall was so close to the top of the crag that I doubt it made much difference. Also I think it affected the LH end more, i.e., where the road was closer. There were a few low starts and the low traverse on the Tarot Plane section I had to completely change sequences for because I couldn’t hold on to the holds on the old sequence any more.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#10 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 10:34:42 am
I'd always put it down to the resurfacing of the road. I'd be interested to know if the camber is more towards the crag than the other way. Not that you can do much about it.

I guess the wall might have served to channel water down the road in a stream rather than allowing it to soak into the ground above the crag? Obviously that would only be the case if the road was tarmacced up to the wall. It also probably eroded the tarmac away which necessitated the rusurfacing!

Interesting that its made a difference. Wonder if you could crowdfund a drainage channel along the perimeter of the road?!

dunnyg

• forum hero
#11 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 11:24:36 am
I only wanted to know if it was seeping or not, don't realise I'd be the catalyst for the Craig y longridge seep alleviation scheme! I'd chuck 5 quid in, just so I can actually go there one day...

petejh

• forum hero
#12 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 01:08:33 pm

I guess the wall might have served to channel water down the road in a stream rather than allowing it to soak into the ground above the crag? Obviously that would only be the case if the road was tarmacced up to the wall. It also probably eroded the tarmac away which necessitated the rusurfacing!

Interesting that its made a difference. Wonder if you could crowdfund a drainage channel along the perimeter of the road?!

A kerb along the outside edge for the small section above the crag might be cheaper if you could get the council to agree to build one.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#13 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 01:39:59 pm
I was talking about this also with a couple of other locals. It's certainly gotten quite a bit worse in the last 2 years.. think there's a few things in play. They laid a gas pipe down the middle of the road about 18 month ago, which involved a 4 foot deep trench which was filled with limestone hardcore. This is certainly the cause of the white smeg seepage that has covered the crag. This does seem to have improved, no doubt from the dust washing through. Another, which I certainly noticed was after they removed all the vegetation from the other side of the road.. generally speaking after moderate rain it used to take 24-48 hours to come through. After this is it has become a matter of hours. Lastly I did the new fence along the top of the crag, and I removed a fair bit of soil from the edge of the road and also dug in the posts up to about 2 foot down. So if there was a natural gutter that kept runoff on the road, that is now pretty compromised. That said I don't think run off over the top of the crag is the main issue here, that's going to happen whatever, I think it's removing all the veg from the other side of the road. This I think is the source of all the seeps at low and mid height.
It's a bummer it's like this now, it's certainly made it a lot more difficult to get into any projects over winter. So much I don't think I saw the crimp on the priory dry at all last year, if it was it was only for a short period.
I'm more than happy to do a bit of work up there to see if we can improve it.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Craig y longridge
April 09, 2022, 09:43:24 pm
 It is a nice fence

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal