UKBouldering.com

Potrero Chico (Read 4480 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Potrero Chico
October 20, 2021, 08:29:02 pm
Trying to persuade someone that this might be more fun than Spain in January (and not just because of cheap tequila). Has anyone been and how would they rate it compared to somewhere like Todra (bad) or Ratikon/Wedenstock/Verdon (good)

kac

• addict
#1 Re: Potrero Chico
October 20, 2021, 09:04:09 pm
Hi Simon, I've been although it was probably about 15 years ago and not  been to those places you mention to compare to. The climbing was good but not Spain good and some dodgy rock. Think the area is a bit more edgy these days so not sure how much fun the town would be. I remember the food being great and a night out at the wrestling was fun. The American climbers there were really friendly and helpful. If I was allowed a climbing holiday I'd definitely stick to Spain.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2 Re: Potrero Chico
October 20, 2021, 09:18:36 pm
Is it currently possible to fly there from the UK, and is this likely to be better or worse after the winter?

The US Gov travel site seems to suggest it’s ok in terms of people moving the yayo. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html#Hidalgo%20state

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: Potrero Chico
October 20, 2021, 09:24:08 pm
Hi Keith

Interesting what you say about the rock quality. Concern is the yanks are over excited by multi pitch sport which is in short supply there and having a winter venue.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: Potrero Chico
October 20, 2021, 09:39:51 pm
Is it currently possible to fly there from the UK, and is this likely to be better or worse after the winter?

The US Gov travel site seems to suggest it’s ok in terms of people moving the yayo. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html#Hidalgo%20state

"Nuevo Leon state – Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise increased caution due to crime and kidnapping."

Hmmm... not the worst state in Mexico.  Although, considering the main inconveniences in Spain are accommodation with poor duvet and kettle provision and eccentrically provisioned village shops with erratic opening hours, the rock in  Potrero Chico would have to be seriously good to outweigh "crime and kidnapping" and make it a better option (quite aside from the comparative cost of flights and time zone issues).

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Potrero Chico
October 20, 2021, 10:26:36 pm
My case for going there is collapsing  :'(

JohnM

• junky
#6 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 08:16:48 am
Maybe consider Istria if you fancy a change from Spain. I haven't been myself yet but it looks amazing so I might check it out this winter.

petejh

• forum hero
#7 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 10:03:41 am
Would be v.interested in hearing more about Istria if you end up going there. Go there!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#8 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 10:10:12 am
My case for going there is collapsing  :'(

I have several American friends who have been there (PC) quite a lot,  the consensus among them, is that it's a good destination if you value cultural interest and very reliable weather with a very convenient campsite etc setup and a nice little scene when you're there. Ultimately the climbing is not as good as some of Spain,  but comparable to the longer Costa Blanca routes, or the longer stuff in the Calanques in quality. 

Wellsy

• forum hero
#9 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 11:56:04 am

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#10 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 12:00:01 pm
Ive just been in Mexico Shark. Id be wary about taking trips there. Unless its one of the main resort places.

kac

• addict
#11 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 02:30:03 pm
Sorry to put you off! Apart from the cartels, long flight, jet lag, dodgy rock and tarantulas it's great! Basically the only reason to go there rather than spain is the 'travel experience'! Not looked into weather or Covid but how about Turkey?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#12 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 03:01:11 pm
Thanks for responses - looks like Spain is the obvious choice.

Ged

• junky
#13 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 06:17:31 pm
What about one of the other Morocco venues? Not todra the place with babel and the thing honnold solors in free solo. That place looks like it ticks all of the decent enough climbing in an interesting place boxes

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#14 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 06:56:33 pm
What about one of the other Morocco venues? Not todra the place with babel and the thing honnold solors in free solo. That place looks like it ticks all of the decent enough climbing in an interesting place boxes

Gorge du Taghia is amazing, but the season starts in late March or early April. A full month there would also be ... intense.

Ged

• junky
#15 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 07:37:24 pm

Gorge du Taghia is amazing, but the season starts in late March or early April. A full month there would also be ... intense.

For what reason? Mentally taxing climbing? It looks incredible from the pictures.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#16 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 08:14:06 pm

I’ve been wanting to go to the Basque area for winter (and summer) so bought the new guidebook on Eder’s suggestion. You’re welcome to borrow it as I won’t be going for quite some time. It looks both close, warm and very good. That’s where I’d go.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#17 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 08:36:06 pm

For what reason? Mentally taxing climbing? It looks incredible from the pictures.

Yeah, partly from doing long routes for a month. Most routes I did were well bolted/protected though. But also from being isolated up in the Atlas mountains on the Moroccan countryside for a long time. I think 2 weeks is plenty of time. YMMV.

We went there in 2015. I would love to go back and do Rivieres Poupre (on which I got a stomach bug...) and to try L'axe du mal. I did a write up in at the time, but I am sure it is out of date now http://steepground.blogspot.com/2016/04/taghia-valley-marocko-various-routes.html

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#18 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 08:42:26 pm

I’ve been wanting to go to the Basque area for winter (and summer) so bought the new guidebook on Eder’s suggestion. You’re welcome to borrow it as I won’t be going for quite some time. It looks both close, warm and very good. That’s where I’d go.

Thanks for the offer but Basque is in the North. We were thinking Valencia

Wood FT

• forum hero
#19 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 08:46:27 pm
Cheers for the geography lesson…  ::)

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 09:21:21 pm

And didn't Morocco just say no to British flights?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#21 Re: Potrero Chico
October 21, 2021, 10:45:32 pm

Sorry. But it will be wet and cold that time of year surely

Wood FT

• forum hero
#22 Re: Potrero Chico
October 22, 2021, 05:05:22 am

Sorry. But it will be wet and cold that time of year surely

I was thinking of Etxauri but for January you are probably right. To the south you go. How about Villanueva del Rosario?

abarro81

• forum hero
#23 Re: Potrero Chico
October 22, 2021, 08:27:04 am
Think Rosario is risky in Jan. More Oct/Nov and Mar/Apr/May for trips I've heard...

petejh

• forum hero
#24 Re: Potrero Chico
October 22, 2021, 09:55:17 am
Turkey’s good in Jan and might be the only turkey you get this winter.

Cheap flights, cheap accom, cheap food, great climbing, lots of new stuff developed around the Antalya region. The gorge we went to that had been developed by the petzl rock tour team is amazing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal