UKBouldering.com

Things Rich Simpson Actually Did (Read 26970 times)

remus

• forum hero
#150 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 02:07:32 pm
I just checked what the state of play on climbing-history.org was. Is there any reason to still exclude Liquid Ambar and Hubble? We have a belayer who says he's done it and the belayer is vouched for by Doyle.

I'm open to changing it.

I left LA and Hubble off for the mo as they'd be the only hard things on the list, and given Rich's history of blatant BS it feels like too much of a coincidence that the one witness is not well known, has given up climbing and moved to thailand. Maybe Im being overly skeptical?

Bradders

• forum hero
#151 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 02:15:19 pm

The point is that people expect board or fingerboard strength to translate consistently to any style of climbing and it is never ever that simple.

I’m not sure anyone expects that!

Agreed!

Especially since the things RS claimed were not gritstone slabs...

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#152 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 02:33:33 pm
I'm a bit surprised this is still being discussed but I guess there remains so much mystery. This post won't help resolve any of it.

No. It was a great post.

Just one thing I want to ask though.

Did you actually do that one-armer? Seems a bit of a cut/shut to me  ;D

Also, great to hear he's still climbing. This thread helps makes things a little less polarised.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#153 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 03:14:49 pm
Anyone know where he is nowadays?

Nice one, you hope he may have come out of the other side of it with a better perspective and new motives.

Turns out I do. He now frequents a wall near me that a few of my friends go to on the regular. Seems he wants to keep a low profile now, but from what I can gather he's still fairly strong but not wad strong.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#154 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 03:52:27 pm
It appears that one thing that RS actually did is to jerk off a lot on Uncle's bed.
The mind boggles.

Doylo

• forum hero
#155 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 03:54:36 pm
He definitely had sex in my bed with a women. There were no doors either.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#156 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 04:02:55 pm
The story that keeps giving.
Who was her?

Doylo

• forum hero
#157 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 04:11:32 pm
The story that keeps giving.
Who was her?

D****e from Conwy.
I tell a lie there was a door but it wasn’t very soundproof. Similar to this . Saloon style:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#158 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 04:14:21 pm
D****e from Conwy.
Damn that's a bit disappointing. I was hoping she was a local freulein struck by AD ascent.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#159 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 04:19:00 pm
He's definitely not shit on rock. But doing some hard things doesn't make you great at all the easy things, like grit 6Bs (as per the Rich Simpson example).

The point is that people expect board or fingerboard strength to translate consistently to any style of climbing and it is never ever that simple.

I think it translates to limestone boulder problems. I've done several 7As and 7A+s this year on lime, and generally churn through most everything in the 6s, and I think it's basically cos I've got very strong fingers. I've scraped my way desperately up grit 7As at best after very long sieges and often get shut down on mid 6s on grit all the time, because you can't just pull harder with your fingers to get you through. The moves are weird.

Daily I lament I am not Swiss or Spanish tbh. But anyway. Boards are good for some stuff way more than others. But they are good for that stuff. I guess there's a reason everyone uses em.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#160 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 04:56:02 pm

I think it translates to limestone boulder problems. I've done several 7As and 7A+s this year on lime, and generally churn through most everything in the 6s, and I think it's basically cos I've got very strong fingers. I've scraped my way desperately up grit 7As at best after very long sieges and often get shut down on mid 6s on grit all the time, because you can't just pull harder with your fingers to get you through. The moves are weird.

Daily I lament I am not Swiss or Spanish tbh. But anyway. Boards are good for some stuff way more than others. But they are good for that stuff. I guess there's a reason everyone uses em.

No, but are you American? Or is "most everthing" slipping into the UK Lexicon (E11, 20m fall potential) these days?

Wellsy

• forum hero
#161 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 05:05:10 pm
Not last I checked, no

Kingy

• forum hero
#162 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 05:51:03 pm

given Rich's history of blatant BS it feels like too much of a coincidence that the one witness is not well known, has given up climbing and moved to thailand. Maybe Im being overly skeptical?

My 2p's worth is there is no requirement for a witness to be famous. Whether they have now given up climbing is irrelevant to whether they can remember the event. Their current whereabouts is also irrelevant, people move around all the time and 2005 was a long time ago. Emails can be sent from anywhere.

Dan has voluntarily confirmed the ascents of Hubble and LA independently of Rich. Are we seriously suggesting that he may be lying for him years after the event? Seems a bit Machieavellian - why would he lie on Rich's behalf?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#163 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 06:00:10 pm
No, but are you American? Or is "most everthing" slipping into the UK Lexicon (E11, 20m fall potential) these days?
:-\ ::)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#164 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 28, 2021, 07:15:03 pm
I loved that wall when I was growing up and the cellar there was something I never ventured down to

Reminds me, back in the early 00's when we used to go to the monthly comps at St Werburgh's, shurt and I definitely witnessed RS fail on a problem for the nth time, throw a massive paddy, kick his chalk bag, tear up his scorcecard and storm out. Much to our amusement.

This is not to cast aspersions as it's ok to cry, but there were quite a few tears in addition to the tamtrum

remus

• forum hero
#165 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 29, 2021, 08:48:45 am

given Rich's history of blatant BS it feels like too much of a coincidence that the one witness is not well known, has given up climbing and moved to thailand. Maybe Im being overly skeptical?

My 2p's worth is there is no requirement for a witness to be famous. Whether they have now given up climbing is irrelevant to whether they can remember the event. Their current whereabouts is also irrelevant, people move around all the time and 2005 was a long time ago. Emails can be sent from anywhere.

Dan has voluntarily confirmed the ascents of Hubble and LA independently of Rich. Are we seriously suggesting that he may be lying for him years after the event? Seems a bit Machieavellian - why would he lie on Rich's behalf?

Good points. For some reason I had it in mind that Doylo got in touch with Dan just after the ascents, didn't spot that that it was 5+ years. I've updated climbing-history.org.

abarro81

• forum hero
#166 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 30, 2021, 06:38:40 am
On a somewhat related note... Was told last night that apparently Ron Fawcet belated Gaskins when he did Hubble... Can anyone confirm/deny? Or know Ron to ask?

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#167 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 30, 2021, 10:11:47 am
Ron and Gaskins engaged in belatio at the Tor, what a mental image ;D

Fatboyslimfast2

• regular
#168 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 30, 2021, 10:57:09 am
On a somewhat related note... Was told last night that apparently Ron Fawcet belated Gaskins when he did Hubble... Can anyone confirm/deny? Or know Ron to ask?
I think, when Gaskins 'did it' think it was his dad belaying, I believe it was Malc Smith belayed by Ron

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#169 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 30, 2021, 05:10:42 pm
Gaskins was belayed by his brother who was also trying it.

abarro81

• forum hero
#170 Re: Things Rich Simpson Actually Did
October 30, 2021, 05:53:57 pm
Who needs one belayer when you can have 3  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal