UKBouldering.com

Any National Trust members? (Read 11357 times)

slab_happy

• forum hero
Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 02:01:40 pm
Last year, the National Trust committed the terrible crime of publishing a report on the links between some of its properties, slavery and colonialism, because, you know, those links exist and are part of the historical context.

This caused much upset in predictable circles (strangely, the people who think pulling down statues is "erasing history" are also very opposed to, er, presenting information on history) so now a bunch of wankers are attempting a coup:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/13/national-trust-warns-of-threat-from-ideological-campaign-waged-against-it

One of their favoured candidates is this charmer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5388626.stm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/meet-stephen-green-right-wing-christian-voice-leader-who-went-homophobic-tirade-against-stephen-fry-and-benedict-cumberbatch-10039270.html

His "why you should vote for me" section in the AGM leaflet is entirely about how much he hates the Trust's acknowledgement of LGBTQ+ issues (or LGBTQ+ people having existed ever). Entirely. Paragraph and paragraphs.

If you're a National Trust member, you can vote online (deadline 11.59pm on the 22nd Oct) -- all you need is your membership number: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/annual-general-meeting

Information on the candidates endorsed by the Restore Trust (though at least one of them appears to have been endorsed against his will and says he supports the slavery/colonialism report):

https://twitter.com/SLevelt/status/1444568195646566403

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 02:17:00 pm
Cheers for the nudge. Had seen the issue but I’ll make sure to vote.

I particularly liked his justification for harassing the Cardiff Mardi Gras attendees
It is important that Christians should be able to stand up for the Gospel and resist any attempt by the police to trample our civil rights

Victimhood just looks so much better when you’re the actual aggressor, wouldn’t you agree?

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 02:37:15 pm
Last year, the National Trust committed the terrible crime of publishing a report on the links between some of its properties, slavery and colonialism, because, you know, those links exist and are part of the historical context.

Thanks for raising this slab_happy. I was a member for many years but no longer am, for obvious reasons. The treatment handed out to Corinne Fowler and others involved in the report was horrific, from both some sections of the press and some members of the press.

More generally, over the last couple of years it's becoming blindingly obvious that Britain is still not able or ready to have a meaningful conversation about its history.

ali k

• junky
#3 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 03:22:41 pm
Unrelated to this but my parents have just cancelled their NT memberships after their cycling group were recently told all of the non-members (which was over half of them) would have to pay full entry fee just to use the cafe at a place they’ve been stopping at mid ride for years. The reason given was that the NT had lost money during Covid which they now had to recoup. Seems like a pretty counterproductive new policy though. Not only did they miss out on about £100 from lunch that day but they’ve now lost at least two membership fees (plus others from the group who said they were also going to cancel) and thousands of pounds in cafe spend each year from that group alone.

seankenny

• forum hero
#4 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 03:23:10 pm
It’s not even able to have a meaningful conversation about its present, let alone its past!

slab_happy

• forum hero
#5 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 03:50:21 pm
Cheers for the nudge. Had seen the issue but I’ll make sure to vote.

I particularly liked his justification for harassing the Cardiff Mardi Gras attendees
It is important that Christians should be able to stand up for the Gospel and resist any attempt by the police to trample our civil rights

Victimhood just looks so much better when you’re the actual aggressor, wouldn’t you agree?

It's like the anti-vaxxers sticking yellow stars on themselves. Cosplaying oppression is only fun when you're not being oppressed in any significant way.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#6 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 04:35:52 pm

It's like the anti-vaxxers sticking yellow stars on themselves.

Does that actually happen??  :jaw:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#7 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 05:13:47 pm
That Green character is hilarious,  From his NT statement

I seek election to end … its promotion of fashionable ‘woke’ causes. Even as I was filling in the Council election forms, the Trust asked not just my sex but my ‘gender identity’ and my sexual orientation!….
The 2017 Felbrigg Hall affair, in which the Trust claimed the donor, the late Robert Ketton-Cremer, was homosexual, on no evidence, shows where this madness leads. I shall ensure that future donors feel safe from the Trust poring over their past and inventing salacious details of an imagined private life.

Sure seems to have quite an interest in the subject.

slab_happy

• forum hero

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#9 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 06:06:54 pm
Wow. ‘Moral and intellectual decline’ sums it up. Makes me a bit cross, tbh

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#11 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 06:51:58 pm
Thanks for the nudge. For ref there's a list of the Trust's proposed picks on the voting launch page, so you don't have to work out who the most appropriate people to vote for are.

Duma

• forum hero
#12 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 08:33:37 pm
Thanks for the links and prod slab, voted.

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
#13 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 16, 2021, 09:02:56 pm
Thanks for the heads-up, I'm only a member for the parking in the Lakes, that was some eye-opening reading  :o
Now voted  :thumbsup:

slab_happy

• forum hero
#14 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 17, 2021, 09:14:49 am
Yeah, I think there are loads of people who have membership for practical reasons but normally have minimal interest in th internal goings-on of the Trust; apparently only 0.5% percentage of members vote at the AGM.

But as a result, there's the potential for a small group -- who apparently have a shit-tonne of money to pour into social media advertising -- to try to hijack the process and get someone like Stephen Green onto the council, even though most members probably wouldn't support him (if they even knew this was going on; I only found out because of newspaper articles).

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#15 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 17, 2021, 09:43:41 am
While you're about it you could also vote to ban fox hunting on NT land.

https://www.keeptheban.uk/post/breaking-voting-opens-to-ban-hunting-on-national-trust-land

Duma

• forum hero
#16 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 17, 2021, 11:08:21 am
Indeed. In fact I'm mildly optimistic that the publicity around this will mean in backfires spectacularly in the bigots faces, and the hunting wankers will be banned as a bonus.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 18, 2021, 11:24:22 am
Thanks for the heads-up, I'm only a member for the parking in the Lakes

Yeah, I think there are loads of people who have membership for practical reasons but normally have minimal interest in the internal goings-on of the Trust; apparently only 0.5% percentage of members vote at the AGM.

Unrelated to this but my parents have just cancelled their NT memberships after their cycling group were recently told all of the non-members (which was over half of them) would have to pay full entry fee just to use the cafe at a place they’ve been stopping at mid ride for years.

There are huge numbers of people who support the NT's excellent work on coast on countryside but have no interest in visiting the Country House Jane Austen theme park side of it. I've never joined for this reason - I've no interest in the fancies of the Edwardian super-rich whether or not the gains were ill-gotten (and they mostly were). For years the BMC access team have been campaigning for them to introduce a Coast and Countryside membership. They did trial it in Cornwall apparently but dropped it due to the impression that it was just a parking ticket. I'm not really sure that is such an issue or one that couldn't be easily addressed, but they seem unwilling to revisit the issue soon, shame. It would undoubtedly increase overall membership but I can only assume the houses eat all the money and they have intel that a large section of their membership have no interest in them.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#18 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 18, 2021, 11:31:23 am
Members should also consider taking the opportunity to vote against Hunting with Dogs on NT land:

https://www.keeptheban.uk/post/breaking-voting-opens-to-ban-hunting-on-national-trust-land

slab_happy

• forum hero
#19 Re: Any National Trust members?
November 05, 2021, 08:13:48 pm
Apparently Stephen Green lost by a terrifyingly-narrow margin of 838 votes:

https://twitter.com/greenbenali/status/1455130685501497346

So, well done everyone who voted NOT for him!

Potash

• menacing presence
#20 Re: Any National Trust members?
November 05, 2021, 11:48:06 pm
That is clearly the difficulty of voting in an election where there are a whole range of reasonable people and one cunt.

All the cunts vote for the cunt whilst all the reasonable people split their votes between the thirty odd reasonable candidates.

I voted for the NT recommended candidates simply because I did not want Stephen Green elected.

andy popp

• forum hero
#22 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 31, 2022, 08:25:27 am
Restore Trust are not to be trusted! My polite plea to any member would be to not vote for any RT backed candidate.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#23 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 31, 2022, 09:24:00 am
Unfortunately it would appear the online voting has already closed this year. Unsurprising to see that Restore Trust is linked to a certain Tufton Street address, along with most of the other shit things happening in our country.

andy popp

• forum hero
#24 Re: Any National Trust members?
October 31, 2022, 09:50:28 am
Unfortunately it would appear the online voting has already closed this year. Unsurprising to see that Restore Trust is linked to a certain Tufton Street address, along with most of the other shit things happening in our country.

Yeah, RT are very pretty opaque about funding etc. Same with History Reclaimed (with which there is a lot of overlap in terms of personnel etc.).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal