the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Any National Trust members?

<< < (12/13) > >>

spidermonkey09:

--- Quote from: mrjonathanr on April 08, 2024, 07:31:31 am ---Thanks for the reply. We fit the profile and want to enjoy the heritage of landscape and estates the Trust conserves. I think- without solid evidence, of course- that a lot of ‘people like us’ are actually very comfortable with a more honest and nuanced appraisal of the legacy of the past and how it was all built.

The Tufton Street agenda appears the very cliche of culture war nostalgia and I can see the power of capturing an organisation as large and respected as NT. I can’t help but wonder if that’s the limit of their objectives. The Trust holds a huge amount of property. I wonder what they would like to do with it, given an opportunity. There’s a lot of money there.

--- End quote ---

What do you think they would like to do with it?

slab_happy:

--- Quote from: mrjonathanr on April 07, 2024, 04:50:30 pm ---This:

--- Quote from: Stewart Lee in the Guardian ---But why does Restore Trust want control of the National Trust so badly? Is it about the properties? The land? Or can it really be that Legatum’s Dubai-based backers just really love scones made with butter? I think we should be told.

--- End quote ---

is an excellent question. Why the NT, exactly?

--- End quote ---

I suspect it's less to do with the National Trust itself, and more about using it as a battleground for performative culture wars aimed at a wider audience.

Lots of Daily Mail or Telegraph readers who may not actually be National Trust members themselves but are susceptible to the idea that the Heritage Of The Nation is being trampled on by these "woke" types who want to drag it down, etc., and these heroic people at Restore Trust are trying to save the NT from the tofu-eating wokerati who have infiltrated it to forcibly veganize its scones.

mrjonathanr:

--- Quote from: spidermonkey09 on April 08, 2024, 07:48:22 am ---
--- Quote from: mrjonathanr on April 08, 2024, 07:31:31 am ---Thanks for the reply. We fit the profile and want to enjoy the heritage of landscape and estates the Trust conserves. I think- without solid evidence, of course- that a lot of ‘people like us’ are actually very comfortable with a more honest and nuanced appraisal of the legacy of the past and how it was all built.

The Tufton Street agenda appears the very cliche of culture war nostalgia and I can see the power of capturing an organisation as large and respected as NT. I can’t help but wonder if that’s the limit of their objectives. The Trust holds a huge amount of property. I wonder what they would like to do with it, given an opportunity. There’s a lot of money there.

--- End quote ---

What do you think they would like to do with it?

--- End quote ---

No idea mate, just find their relentless pursuit of the NT odd. Perhaps the performative platform it might provide is enough.

mrjonathanr:
Woke row deer park’s kinky dogging shame.

As attacks on the National Trust have increased, so has public trust in it.

petejh:

--- Quote from: mrjonathanr on May 09, 2024, 09:38:30 am ---Woke row deer park’s kinky dogging shame.

--- End quote ---

National Trussed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version